• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are my chances in chelsea if

First of all im new here and just wanna say wow this is a really great site lots of information to be gain here[smile]....with that said here is my questions

I know Chelsea is a RED town for a LTC but you guys think i will have a higher chance of getting it with no restriction since I'm a Veteran?

and my second question is this... I'm worry that since I am 23 years old and me saying i want a LTC for ALP wont just do ...what do i say if they try to give me a range and hunting license only?

PS:i already have the Firearms Safety Certificate and im a citizen with no record what so ever.

Thanks for the help.

Chelsea

I know Chelsea is a RED town for a LTC but you guys think i will have a higher chance of getting it with no restriction since I'm a Veteran? and my second question is this... I'm worry that since I am 23 years old and me saying i want a LTC for ALP wont just do ...what do i say if they try to give me a range and hunting license only? PS:i already have the Firearms Safety Certificate and im a citizen with no record what so ever.

On your application "Apply for a LTC A" Chelsea is known to issue LTC B on first time applicants, but your veteran status may be beneficial to you.

If they grant you a LTC A Restricted (Target Shooting,Sport etc.) you will at least have your foot in the door. Then of course you will have to wait 6 years, and upon renewal maybe get a LTC A unrestricted.

On application, "Reason (S) For Requesting The Issuance Of Card or License" I would put the following: Target Shooting, Sport, Hunting, Self Defense.

Not required by law, but belonging to a Gun Club will help.

A very good Club "Mystic Valley Gun Club, Canal St.,Malden MA
http://www.mvgunclub.com/

I am a member of the club above and believe other forum members are also. If you decide to join and need a sponsor just post on the forum and I know someone will respond.

The issuing officer in Chelsea, is a no nonsense guy, will be up front with you, to your liking or disliking. Be very courteous, and not impatient, when making your appointment, may take several phone calls to set it up. The boys at the Chelsea PD are quite busy, you live there you know.

If you like, you can send me a message at this forum, and I will try to answer your questions.

Good Luck and I wish you the very best.

Last edited:
I know Chelsea is a RED town for a LTC but you guys think i will have a higher chance of getting it with no restriction since I'm a Veteran?
No greater than any other applicant -- slim to none, and Slim has left town.

Super:

I was the one who listed Chelsea as RED.

However, I got a LTC-A ALP from Chelsea. The Detective that handled my license paperwork said that normally Chelsea issues only LTC-B for first time licensees, with a chance to upgrade upon renewal. But, I came to Chelsea from NYS with a NYS Pistol License (since 1988) and NRA Certified Pistol Instructor credentials. The Detective said with my NYS license and experience I would be issued a LTC-A ALP.

I do not think that they will consider your military service in their equation for issuing you a LTC. You may wish to talk a lawyer listed on this website for advice before you apply.

My thoughts only.

Good luck!

Bob

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but it is extremely doubtful if your veteran's status will be a major determinant as what kind of LTC you will receive.

Mark L.

Agree, but the old DD 214 in my eyes, is a very impressive and informative document to possess. It shows that the individual has handled firearms, it shows the individuals conduct during his military commitment. And in today's volunteer military service, it shows the individuals desire to protect his country. May not help applicant at all, but can't do any harm.

The Detective that handled my license paperwork said that normally Chelsea issues only LTC-B for first time licensees, with a chance to upgrade upon renewal.

Shouldn't Chelsea be black then? Red usually means issues LTC A with restrictions. B-rammers and no issue towns are black.

Shouldn't Chelsea be black then? Red usually means issues LTC A with restrictions. B-rammers and no issue towns are black.

I thought black was more along the lines of towns that try to get away with not issuing ANY LTC's at all, although I suppose it could apply to the b-rammers as well, since to most, an LTC-B is only slightly better than not having a permit at all.

Even if it is rare, there are towns that try not to issue at all. I remember one case where there was some town near the cape (forget offhand what the name was) where they didn't have a licensing officer for some window of time- it would be safe to say that town was basically black at least for that window of time, because no licenses were being issued at all. I think Carver while under the reign of that *bitch Skoog was also black, but I'm not completely sure if she signed off on any LTCs or not.

* = Disclaimer- I apologize to bitches everywhere- because frankly, Skoog is worse than that, but I just didn't
want to have to get vulgar. [laugh]

-Mike

First of all im new here and just wanna say wow this is a really great site lots of information to be gain here[smile]....with that said here is my questions

and my second question is this... I'm worry that since I am 23 years old and me saying i want a LTC for ALP wont just do ...what do i say if they try to give me a range and hunting license only?

PS:i already have the Firearms Safety Certificate and im a citizen with no record what so ever.

Thanks for the help.

like yourself, i was 23 when i applied in "red" Medford this year. Im a MP Veteran, and my motives to even get a license were questioned as if i was a criminal. so its safe to say, that short of a medal of honor holder, your veteran status means absolutely nothing to the issuing department.

i ended up with a Class A, restricted to target and hunting only.

What is wrong with All Lawful Purposes?

When applying in anti locales it sometimes is useful to attempt to use more than just those three words on your application. Many will say "see attached letter" with a swan song letter drafted up trying to convince the IA of their justification for an unrestricted permit. This letter can contain things like professional references, qualifications, documented threats against the person requesting the license, etc, etc. Of course, none of this crap should be necessary, but when one is backed into a corner all you can do is try to grease the skids a little bit by trying to make the chief/IA think that you really -need- a license and not just want one for the hell of it. (remember- these red towns don't consider carrying a gun to be a right- so you have to play to their authoritarian statist sensibilities a bit.... ) These letters are often worthless in hardcore anti towns like Boston/Brookline, but in the more marginal ones they sometimes will help.

-Mike

Agree, but the old DD 214 in my eyes, is a very impressive and informative document to possess. It shows that the individual has handled firearms, it shows the individuals conduct during his military commitment. And in today's volunteer military service, it shows the individuals desire to protect his country. May not help applicant at all, but can't do any harm.

Although I have an unrestricted LTC today, my first Mass Resident LTC was issued to me as an active duty Army officer, it was for "sport and target" even though I had previously held the old "protection of life and property" Non-Res LTC. Despite the fact that I submitted my expert qualification for the M9, and had a letter from my commanding officer stating that I "regularly carried a sidearm in the execution of my official military duties" I was still denied "any lawful purpose"....because afterall as the licensing officer told me:"times are different today, we have just too many guns on the street." This by the way, was in the "green" town of Leominster under the same chief that we have today.

So frankly in the context of my experience, anyway, one's military background is worth absolutely squat for licensing purposes and may be actually resented by licensing officers who never served. Kindly remember there are LEOs out there who had to wait a year or two longer to get on their departments or didn't get a job with the department of their choice because they were bumped on the list by someone who got several extra points on the exam because of veteran's preference. You do your payback where you can, I guess.

Mark L.

So frankly in the context of my experience, anyway, one's military background is worth absolutely squat for licensing purposes and may be actually resented by licensing officers who never served.
Mark L.

Makes one wonder about serving at all. I too was RA, 3 years, and my license experiences are almost a carbon copy of yours.

Excellent posts by mark056

When applying in anti locales it sometimes is useful to attempt to use more than just those three words on your application. Many will say "see attached letter" with a swan song letter drafted up trying to convince the IA of their justification for an unrestricted permit. This letter can contain things like professional references, qualifications, documented threats against the person requesting the license, etc, etc. Of course, none of this crap should be necessary, but when one is backed into a corner all you can do is try to grease the skids a little bit by trying to make the chief/IA think that you really -need- a license and not just want one for the hell of it. (remember- these red towns don't consider carrying a gun to be a right- so you have to play to their authoritarian statist sensibilities a bit.... ) These letters are often worthless in hardcore anti towns like Boston/Brookline, but in the more marginal ones they sometimes will help.

-Mike

Right on the money. Renewals are a little bit different in this particular Red Town, seems to go a lot easier and no BS. I am now a retiree, and my last renewal this past April 2008, went extremely smooth. But by no means would I say Black Town, like Boston, Cambridge, Brookline.

Bold Green usually Issue "Class A" "All Lawful Purposes"

Bold Red May Issue and/or are difficult to obtain a "Class A" "All Lawful Purposes" usually give out restricted such as "Sport and Target"

Cities in Bold Black are almost Impossible or impossible to Obtain a "Class A" usually issue a "Class B" or "FID"

According to the thread: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8703

It wasn't impossible, or I would not have been given one. I think if you came into Chelsea with a LTC-A and renewed, you would not be downgraded. Also, after one term with the LTC-B, the Detective implied that you could be upgraded to an LTC-A.

My thoughts only.

Regards,

Bob

By The Sea

It wasn't impossible, or I would not have been given one. I think if you came into Chelsea with a LTC-A and renewed, you would not be downgraded. Also, after one term with the LTC-B, the Detective implied that you could be upgraded to an LTC-A.
Bob[/QUOTE] P-14

Correct Correct - Chelsea is not that bad, only on first applications.

Just make sure they don't spot you hanging around Bellingham Square after 10 PM

Back
Top Bottom