• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are BEST earplugs for indoor shooting?

I use electronic muffs with foam plugs all the time, both indoors and outdoors. For me, it's a great combination.

When taking a class, or shooting with somebody else, I just crank-up the volume. Allows me to hear whoever's talking very well.

With electronic ear muffs, it's about (a) the design of the earmuff, and (b) the circuitry used to cut-off the impulse noise. You have to get a set of muffs that START with a good NRR (like I said in a previous post, the highest NRR rating is 33 and you can get muffs with that rating), and then the manufacturer has to spend enough money for good amplification and cut-off electronics. One difference *I* notice between using expensive and less expensive (the electronic muffs are pretty much ALL expensive) muffs is that with the less expensive flavors there's a noticeable lag after an impulse noise (gun shot) during which the audio sort of "fades" back in.

The only muffs I've found that have both maximum protection and good circuitry are the Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold muffs (the ones with the CR123A battery). They're ridiculously expensive, but not as cheap as trying to buy new hearing :)

In terms of low battery warning... hmmm... There doesn't seem to be ANY indication that the battery is low. I always carry several extra CR123's just in case.

Hope that helps, at least some.

$300. Ouch. I dunno if I can justify that.
Sounds like just what I want though. Thanks for the review and the basics info.

Ditto.

You'll know the batteries are low when you have to turn up the volume more than usual to hear softer sounds. Eventually, unless you replace the batteries you'll have no amplification of softer sounds and you'll be wearing a set of "non-electronics" muffs.
Aha!

I have never ran my batteries out, but that is my assumption that they would just be regular muffs without being able to hear the amplified sound. I think some people believe that the battery is what closes the sound off, but it's actually just the opposite.
Aha aha! Exactly!

I assumed they were noise cancelling devices and not "simply" muffs with built in amplifiers. Go figure.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Are KAYSPOP and GlockJock the same person ?

I've been wearing the large "earmuff/headphone" style ones, but see guys using earplugs....I'm looking for something that will give me full ear protection from the blasts of my 9mm, my 40, 38 etc...Not looking for cheap drugstore kind....Any advice is appreciated....Thanks
But I'm looking to NOT wear muffs, and only plugs, therefore seeking the best plugs, that will cancel out all noise....

If so, he/she asked for ear plugs only to wear, and does NOT want to wear muffs , ONLY PLUGS.

Carry on.

I have used these for 24 hours straight on my motorcycle without significant discomfort -- just depends on how well the molds are made. I recommend going to an audiologist to have the molds made and have them perform a baseline hearing test while you are there.

Earinc/Insta-Mold - Acoustical Filtered Earplugs

I don't see a mention of the specific noise reduction level but is listed a a hearing protection product for shooting. I love them on the bike. I can hear music clearly at safe levels while filtering out the wind noise.

I generally use EAR brand, classic yellow cheapies. Available for around $30 for 200. At 15 cents a pair, just use once, throw away. Don't have to worry about cleaning them, disinfecting them, whatever. The sound attenuation is around 29 dB, which is actually more protection than the big muffs.

Still, for indoor shooting or shooting outdoors with my .308 (or if I'm next to someone with a Barrett, etc.), I use those plugs and muffs as well. Slimline shotgun muffs are fine. Believe it or not, you can still hear someone talk. You just don't go deaf. At least I haven't (yet).

noisereductionrating.gif

You can read all about it here.

Important: There is a method you have to use for putting them in your ears. You basically roll them into tight little cylinders, pull up the top of your ear with your opposite hand, and then slide them into the ear canal (stop before touching the eardrum). Then you can feel them expand in the ear canal and the noise from outside goes way down. If everything still sounds mostly normal you did it wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom