We Were Soldiers/What are you Memorial Day Plans

In honor of Memorial day I wanted to watch a good War movie. We Were Soldiers is not only a great movie but has many awesome guns to drool over.

I was also curious what everyone's plans are.

Memorial-Day-Package1.jpg

Early morning fishing and sitting on the couch watching war movies while drifting in and out of consciousness.

I actually just received we were soldiers from Netflix. I haven't seen it before so I thought it would be something to do. Also family cook out.

With Monday looking like the best day for weather I'll be tending to a smoker full of pork and enjoying a few beers in rememberance of those who paid the price and kept it possible for me to do so.

With Monday looking like the best day for weather I'll be tending to a smoker full of pork and enjoying a few beers in rememberance of those who paid the price and kept it possible for me to do so.

Amen to that

038.jpg

"Beautifull morning, Sergeant"
"What are you, the friggin weatherman?"

If any of you sons of bitches calls me granpa, I'll kill him.

298553_10151582884729774_603815650_n.jpg

I'm going to have a drink or two to the memories of all my family members and friends who served and are no longer with us. Then I'll have another for those I didn't know. Oh, and maybe play golf if the weather breaks.

I watched the flag pass by one day.
It fluttered in the
breeze.
A young Marine saluted it,
and then he stood at ease.
I looked
at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
He'd stand out in any
crowd.
I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the
years.
How many died on foreign soil?
How many mothers' tears?
How many
pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea?
How many foxholes were
soldiers' graves?
No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of TAPS
one night,
When everything was still
I listened to the bugler play
And
felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times
That TAPS had meant
"Amen,"
When a flag had draped a coffin
Of a brother or a friend.
I
thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers,
sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.
I thought about a
graveyard
At the bottom of the sea
Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
No,
freedom isn't free

We were soldiers once... And young, one of the best movies ever made about Vietnam. Harold G. Moore is one hell of a soldier. I read the book after seeing the movie and couldn't put it down,read it all in one sitting. That man kept his cool under fire and the movie as well as the book portrayed the bond of brotherhood each soldier has for each other in combat that I've never seen in a movie like this. Battle at La Drang was unbelievably told in this movie. Definatly Not a Apocalypse now type movie !

Last edited:
I'll be writing Congress (again) to add missing names to the Vietnam Memorial. If not at least remembrance, why have a Memorial or Veterans Day?

Last edited by a moderator:
In honor of Memorial day I wanted to watch a good War movie. We Were Soldiers is not only a great movie but has many awesome guns to drool over.

I was also curious what everyone's plans are.

View attachment 67684

I just watched that movie again on Thursday.

I was never a fan of that movie for some reason. Too Hollywoodized I guess. Saving private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Platoon, Bride Over The River Kwi, The Green Berrets... Many other great flix to choose from.

This is how I feel every time I watch it. I don't see it as great as everyone else. The only story line is at home delivering the notices of who died. Other than that it's meet someone so he can die in the next frame.

Quiet day at home with my family. Thoughts of my time in the Corps, and thoughts of those still in all the branches of the military.

Church on Monday for certain. One thing I miss most about no longer living in DC is going to Arlington, our Nation's Most Hallowed Ground, on Memorial Day Weekend.

Attending Memorial Day ceremonies here in town at our local cemetery and then at Town Hall. We are two of ~50 spectators that show up on a good day (rain will probably 1/2 that number). This has been our annual routine since we moved here >30 years ago (back then 100s showed up).

Walk over to the NH State Veteran's Cemetery and sit and think for a while (I live right next door)...thank those who went before me who fought and died so I could do what I do today and hope they didn't die in vain. It'll be a quiet day for me...may go over to my daughters house and hang out for a while but it won't be a celebration.

Last edited:
Courtesy of my company, for Monday I have a pair of Red Sox tickets in the WEEI luxury box. I get a parking pass too.

Wife and I will be visiting her father today in the cemetery. He was Navy.

Back
Top Bottom