• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

We Were Soldiers/What are you Memorial Day Plans

Getting up O dark thirty, picking up CAP cadets then onto three cemeteries for ceremonies. Our young cadets do a wonderful job on the colors. Then onto marching in Andover parade with post ceremony.
The remainder of the day I’ll hang around the house remembering that I’m free to be able to own one. Then a cook out

Memorial Day is a somber day for me. I'll stay home and reflect and remember the many who have given their lives and the many who have served and are serving.

Spent 4 hours in the woods SAT morning with son in the pouring trying to fill that turkey tag on the last day (failed but still had fun).... then straight off to the Cemetery to meet the scout troop to put flags on the veteren's graves.

Sunday spent the morning on the honey do list and then off to the range with the family in the afternoon to shoot some trap and zero my son's new scope.

Today is the Memorial day parade and we'll be watching that and going to the remembrance ceremony after.

Guess that is the typical memorial day for me.....no getting drunk at a bbq.......no day at the beach......its memorial day......just a day to remember those who sacrificed more than I have for freedom!

I think I'll hop on the Lowrider and put some miles on. As far as a movie to watch HBO is running "Taking Chance". If you have not seen it, plainly put, you should. Powerful movie. I think Kevin Bacons best work. I first watched it when a friend told me that some of it was filmed in Bozeman and Ennis Montana. An area that I vacation at and love. Now I still watch it whenever its on but the scenery is secondary.

Getting ready to go to Westfield Sportsman club. Think ill take my mosin m44 and AR out. Then to my dads for dinner later

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Smoking some ribs, drinking a few homebrews and remember all those who served like my dad who passed a few years ago.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

I pulled out all my dads letters he wrote my mom while serving our country- just took some time to remember a man that was bigger than life.. miss you dad

Oboe, thanks for the quote...

I worked 12 hours overnight Sunday night, then off to see my daughters March in our local parade. After that, picked up the girlfriend and spent 2 1/2 beautiful hours lost on back roads on the Harley. Had my flags flying, passed a few cemeteries, waved at a bunch of kids, stopped for a couple of parades...

Got to Carlisle just in time for their parade; a few Girl Scouts, a few Boy Scouts, a couple of cops, handful of vets, maybe 10 kids with instruments, and about 30-40 townspeople marching. A speech I could barely hear from the local pastor, followed by the worst rendition and most touching performance of Taps I've ever heard. Small town New England at its finest:)

Then home to bed, slept all day, and back at work...

To all who served, thank you. To those who didn't come back, God bless you, rest easy...

Back
Top Bottom