We always talk joke about cops shooting dogs...

But I just found out this past week it happened to two close friends of my girlfriend. A couple that I've met and hung out with on multiple occasions.. Their devastated and I need some advice from NES.

I don't have ALL the details yet because I found out late last night, waiting for one of them to call me back. But pretty sure it was Wednesday. The police were called to the house in (Pretty sure it's in Wilbraham, MA) over a domestic dispute. Shit happens. They police showed up and sent an officer down the back of the house before they even went to the front door. The yard is completely fenced in. The officer tried to get into the back yard and their Pitt Bull was out there... In a fenced in back yard... Their dog started barking at the fence line and the cop drew down and shot it in the neck. The dog turned around and starting running for the house and while the dog was in full sprint towards the back door, running away from the cop, he shot him again. Killing him in his own back yard. Just because he was barking from inside of a fenced in yard.

This is complete bullshit. I know we read these stories all the time, but who thinks that nonsense like this is going to happen to someone you know? What can they do? Is there ANY chance of this cop facing repercussions? Idk if they have the money right now to lawyer up. They're a young couple living in a house their parents gifted to them before they moved. Money isn't exactly flowing. I figured NES would have some idea of what the next step is. There wasn't so much as a local newspaper story over it. They wrote the news stations and haven't gotten a response yet. They've started a facebook group that has 2,000 people in it and it's numbers are climbing.

I just want to help. :(

If someone takes up the cause I will donate to fix this scumbags wagon. I bet there are a bunch of lawyers knowing they can win this would take the case and take their cut at the end.

If someone takes up the cause I will donate to fix this scumbags wagon. I bet there are a bunch of lawyers knowing they can win this would take the case and take their cut at the end.

Unfortunately, in Massachusetts (and every other state as far as I know) dogs are considered property. The owners can sue for the value of the property. They may be able to simply place a claim for the value with the police department or the city/town.

They can also file a criminal complaint for animal abuse, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling.

Courts have not recognized a claim for emotional distress due to the killing of an animal.

Sucks. Sad sad sad. a**h***s. Shooting a dog in the back as is was running away. Most Definetly doesn't deserve to be a police officer. I hope his town recognizes this and acts accordingly.

Another trusted public servant gets his doggy badge. I'm surprised they don't paint little doggies on the side of their cars like shot down planes.

Although i feel bad for the dogs owner, you prefaced the story with" I don't have ALL the details yet", don't do anything rash without getting all the facts.
Flame away

This prick was clearly dying to use his gun "in the line of duty". I like the criminal complaint suggestion. At least it might keep his stupid ass from hurting someone or killing another dog. MOTHER F'er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although i feel bad for the dogs owner, you prefaced the story with" I don't have ALL the details yet", don't do anything rash without getting all the facts.
Flame away

The world knows cops shoot dogs for sport. No denying it, now go serve the public... some speeding tickets. It is one of the big speed tax revenue weekends.

I will be shocked if anything but a paid vacation comes of it......daily I loose more trust and faith of those of you who serve....sadly. The real kicker is it was a pitbull so I'm sure it was already chewing through the fence in rage to get the cop( the cops know all dogs are born cop killers) upon shooting it it was running to get back up as we all know where's there's one there's many more in the bushes......

I mean WTF the police must have the green light from the higher command to just kill dogs.

I will be shocked if anything but a paid vacation comes of it......daily I loose more trust and faith of those of you who serve....sadly. The real kicker is it was a pitbull so I'm sure it was already chewing through the fence in rage to get the cop( the cops know all dogs are born cop killers) upon shooting it it was running to get back up as we all know where's there's one there's many more in the bushes......

I mean WTF the police must have the green light from the higher command to just kill dogs.
Dogs have a way with judging character.

What can they do? Is there ANY chance of this cop facing repercussions?

1. For all practical purposes, absolutely nothing except bury their best friend.

2. After a fair an impartial investigation, the PD will determine that the officer acted appropriately and within policy.

Yes, I'm sure the police showed up and unprovoked shot a dog through a fence just for barking.

Back
Top Bottom