WASR-10 lo-cap? Yes? No?

I looked at one today ... similar to this but not, as I recall a Century import:

century_ri1171d-n.jpg
Problem is it's low capacity only. Would YOU pay $350 for a lo-cap WASR? I have an SKS Sporter that accepts AK mags, but I do not yet have an AK.

I looked at one today ... similar to this but not, as I recall a Century import:

century_ri1171d-n.jpg
Problem is it's low capacity only. Would YOU pay $350 for a lo-cap WASR? I have an SKS Sporter that accepts AK mags, but I do not yet have an AK.

My sincerest answer is that I would pay extra $50-$75 for a standard WASR that will take 30 round mags.

My answer is go to Zero Hour Arms and buy a good AK even if just a WASR10.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to drive far beyond this rural district to find a decent AK. I've seen some listed in the eastern half of the state. I've been putting together a travel itinerary for next weekend.

I burned up a lot of gas today going up to Pete's in Adams. Wasted time.

century_ri1171d-n.jpg

FWIW - and assuming you hold something more than an FID card, you can modify the "lo-cap" rifles to take the standard mags

Zero Hour is a 4 hours of driving for Gingo, although it is a good bet for finding what he needs.
Consider picking one up at a gun show, perhaps the Springfield, MA show on 12/13-14? Or, you could also try AAA in Springfield, but call before you go. They often stock a few. I know that Auto Sports Distributors down in Agawam (close) had a few AK's at the show a week or two ago.

Zero Hour is a 4 hours of driving for Gingo, although it is a good bet for finding what he needs.
Consider picking one up at a gun show, perhaps the Springfield, MA show on 12/13-14? Or, you could also try AAA in Springfield, but call before you go. They often stock a few. I know that Auto Sports Distributors down in Agawam (close) had a few AK's at the show a week or two ago.

I plan to call AAA tomorrow.

Don't the low cap WASRs just have nipples in the magwell that need to be removed in order to convert them?

He said "nipples"... [laugh2]

Seriously Gringo - keep looking. I'd PM Kingson, Call AAA, AutoSport and maybe head for the next gun show, before you spend all that ammo money driving out to EMA...That being said, I drove to Collectors a few years ago for my Uzi and it was worth the drive.....Maybe we can carpool? [wink]

**Edit** PM Wildweasel - he mentioned a fun store to me where he picked up a goodie, but the name escapes me...

Gringo, why not make a trek out a little more west and visit Pete's Gun Shop in Adams, MA. He usually has a few on the shelf for a decent penny and is a real stand-up guy. He will go out of his way to help you out no matter how busy/slow the shop is that day.

Oh and the foliage is beautiful out here in the Berkshires ... [rofl]

I was talking about Valley sports in easthampton. I got my RPK clone there a few weeks ago. he currently doesn't have any Ak's/ (was in there yesterday trying to talk him down on a mini-14 factory folder... ) Give Tim a call and see if He can get one for you. 413-527 9728 http://www.valleysportcenter.com/

Gringo, why not make a trek out a little more west and visit Pete's Gun Shop in Adams, MA. He usually has a few on the shelf for a decent penny and is a real stand-up guy. He will go out of his way to help you out no matter how busy/slow the shop is that day.

Oh and the foliage is beautiful out here in the Berkshires ... [rofl]

Dood. Where I live, Pete's is due north, not more west. And I've got foliage up to my eyeballs, getting deeper every day, and leafpeepers up to my a$$. [angry]

BTW, I was at Pete's on Monday. Slim pickins.

Dood. Where I live, Pete's is due north, not more west. And I've got foliage up to my eyeballs, getting deeper every day, and leafpeepers up to my a$$. [angry]

BTW, I was at Pete's on Monday. Slim pickins.

Ahhh I forgot...you are a "south countyer". I was thinking you were in Greenfield for some reason. Yeah...leefpeepers are something else. Slim pickins there huh? Thats not good.

I was at Petes today. IIRC, 2 WASRs, one with a synthetic stock and scope, the other wooden with a forward grip. I just half glanced at them, but can't remember if they were low or full cap. I was too interested in the Dragunov.

My AK started life as a Lo-Cap WASR.

I put in a TAPCO gas piston, G2 trigger set and a SAW pistol grip and opened up the mag well to take regular mags. Of course, it was $100 less than the high cap at the time, and I knew I was making the mods whether Hi or Lo cap.

I was at Petes today. IIRC, 2 WASRs, one with a synthetic stock and scope, the other wooden with a forward grip. I just half glanced at them, but can't remember if they were low or full cap. I was too interested in the Dragunov.

I looked at both of them on Monday. The guy working at the time didn't know if the one with the wooden foregrip was hi or lo-cap. He had to call the Boss. Then he said it was hi-cap and came with two mags, which he then produced. He said something about the mag well being "pinned", and the pin could be taken out .. but I think he really meant that the folding stock was pinned. Anyway, that rifle looked like it had been backed over by a truck and put back together on a budget. And he wanted ... I dunno .... near 6-hunnerd for it?

The one with the synthetic stock came with a Russian scope and was about $800.

I got some decent browsing time in, but didn't find what I wanted among the two AKs he had.

My AK started life as a Lo-Cap WASR.

I put in a TAPCO gas piston, G2 trigger set and a SAW pistol grip and opened up the mag well to take regular mags. Of course, it was $100 less than the high cap at the time, and I knew I was making the mods whether Hi or Lo cap.

I asked the guy at BG Sporting in Westfield about making modifications to the lo-cap WASR he had on sale. He said replacing the thumbhole stock (Dragunov stock?) with a two-piece pistol grip stock would be a no-no under the Massachusetts AWB.

I didn't enquire about additional modifications. What is it ... six out of ten parts can be non-import under federal law ... Oh I give up.

It's a thought, though.

If you are talking compliance parts, and the lo-cap doesn't have the muzzle break, you need to add 5 parts. A gas piston, SAW pistol grip and G2 trigger set (3 parts) is enough.

At the prices mentioned, I'd pass. Way too high.

Back
Top Bottom