Was: Mike from Titegroup enters not guilty plea - update: 5/9/14 - plead out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Commonwealth's interest is in enforcing it's laws and making examples out of those who break them.
More importantly, the ADA's interest is in preserving his/her "win" record in the most expedient manner possible.

I understand why he did it. It's hard to keep your house and family secure when you're looking at 10s of thousands of dollars with a legal defense and possible jail time.

On the other hand though, I was really looking forward to the trail where the state tries to explain this whole list/safety monopoly they have going on. That is most likely the reason for the plea deal where they guarantee no jail time and a minimum fine. The state didn't want this going to a trial.

X1 The state didn't want this going to trial.

The only way we'll ever get a perfect client is if we can get a rich, widowed, 80 year old guy to run a gun shop. Someone who is basically at the point of their life who is healthy enough to stand trial, but old enough to have the mindset of "Plea out? **** you people. What are you going to do, throw an 80 year old in jail? I've been shot at by viet cong.

Paging Skysoldier...paging Skysoldier....[smile]

Wow, he went from running a gun shop, to never being able to own a firearm again.
Eff you Massachusetts.

Out of curiosity, what kind of guns ill get you in this kind of trouble? HiPoints?

Wow, he went from running a gun shop, to never being able to own a firearm again.
Eff you Massachusetts.

Out of curiosity, what kind of guns ill get you in this kind of trouble? HiPoints?

Any handguns not on the approved firearms roster.

Glocks are listed , a lot of shops I've seen lately openly selling any gun on the list. There a few shops you walk in and see new gen 4 glocks. And yes there selling them at rape price.

Eff you Massachusetts.

A Colt 1911. Not on the list

Springfield Armory, not on the list

Kimber. Not on the list

The irony?? They're the same design as the SW1911 or a ParaOrdinance

A FFL selling any Kimber, Colt or SA guns will find himself in Mike's shoes. But a SW or Para is OK

It's f*cking disgusting, it's all about paying to play

Last edited:
Glocks are listed , a lot of shops I've seen lately openly selling any gun on the list. There a few shops you walk in and see new gen 4 glocks. And yes there selling them at rape price.

Those are on the Approved Firearms Roster. So while the AG may get her panties in a twist, all she can do is file a civil lawsuit. Mike sold things not on the Approved Firearms Roster, which is punishable by prison.

A Colt 1911. Not on the list

Springfield Armory, not on the list

Kimber. Not on the list

The irony?? They're the same design as the SW1911 or a ParaOrdinance

A FFL selling any Kimber, Colt or SA guns will find himself in Mike's shoes. But a SW or Para is OK

It's f*cking disgusting, it's all about paying to play

If only there were someone we could go to at the state for some sort of consumer protection from this. Who could stop this?

;-)

Marsha runs consumer protection, good luck with that one

You missed the smiley. But, now that I think of it, I wonder how fun it would be to run with this, and bring in someone like Hank Philippi Ryan and go to the AG with a complaint about unfair and discriminatory business practices, but don't tell them the perpetrator or product until the surprise ending ON CAMERA. i bet they would fall all over it, hook, line, and sinker; if the right person were able to pull it off.

So he loses his shop, loses his guns for life, lost the $6k a few days ago, plus a lot more I am guessing, because of this? MA should be ashamed of themselves. Makes me sick.

This dude was an Army Ranger. Probably a real bad ass in his day. He said eff-you to the state for the most part for many many years, because of their stupid list, and they do this in return? [puke]

This. The EOPS and and AG regs are disgusting.

Just more proof that both these 'laws' and the court system is little more than a racket. Not that this wasn't already clear, I know.

maybe i'm missing something in this story.
so he allegedly sold guns to law abiding licensed gun owners. and the guns weren't on the "list" of approved toys that our nanny will let us touch.

last time i checked the thiefs, murderers, rapists and sociopaths in the world are fairly well armed. did this dealer supply guns to the thiefs, murderers, rapists and sociopaths? maybe someday the nanny could focus her efforts on the actual problem and stop frying innocent people.

oh crap....there i go again applying logic to MA.

if someone sets up a fund for his legal expenses i (and others) will gladly donate.

counting the days until i can move back to america.

So he loses his shop, loses his guns for life, lost the $6k a few days ago, plus a lot more I am guessing, because of this? MA should be ashamed of themselves. Makes me sick.

This dude was an Army Ranger. Probably a real bad ass in his day. He said eff-you to the state for the most part for many many years, because of their stupid list, and they do this in return? [puke]

This x100000000. ****

You missed the smiley. But, now that I think of it, I wonder how fun it would be to run with this, and bring in someone like Hank Philippi Ryan and go to the AG with a complaint about unfair and discriminatory business practices, but don't tell them the perpetrator or product until the surprise ending ON CAMERA. i bet they would fall all over it, hook, line, and sinker; if the right person were able to pull it off.

But the AG is running for governor and all the news outlets are handily in her pocket.

Eff you Massachusetts.

As a dealer, selling any handgun not on the EOPS roster will expose you to criminal liability. It's rare but this case is proof that they pay attention to this once in awhile.

-Mike

How'd they even get the dirt on him anyway? Audit of FA-10's? Stings?

He was quite vocal about what he was doing. I suspect that his own mouth got him jammed up in this.

He even told my Wife and I that we could buy any new large-cap mag (he was selling them). When I told him that he was wrong he told me that it was "an old federal thing" and was no longer in effect! [shocked]

I called the late Darius Arbabi and asked him to try to educate Mike (Darius was a friend to both Mike and myself). Apparently it was to no avail and today you see the consequences.

Last edited:
Wow.

Len, everyone respects your legal knowledge, but this is hardly the time for an "I told you so."

I'm not trying to "I told you so". When he did that I tried to keep him out of trouble by having a close friend and well respected firearms attorney set him straight. It didn't work, sadly.

Look up in this thread . . . people are asking "how did he get caught"? My response was what I believe (no inside info here) was the likely reason he got caught. It's over and done at this point, so it matters not if we discuss why/how he might have ended up in this situation.

When I was in his shop, it was my first time and he didn't know me from Adam and I only knew about him from NES. I didn't identify myself or try to argue with him, I merely told him that he was wrong and dropped the subject. I don't want to see any shop (other than the RAT) shut down in MA, however my sympathies for those that get caught doing illegal things due to "shouting from the rooftops" is pretty thin these days. There are those that have done similar things to Mike but didn't brag about it and some were dealt with quite differently. Keeping a low profile oftentimes will lead to more leniency. None of us like these laws, but they are the laws nevertheless . . . the right way to deal with it is to challenge them one by one in Federal Court and see what we can change.

ETA: Perhaps some dealer may read this info and decide to either stay under the radar or change their policies. By exposing what can cause problems perhaps we can help save someone (or more) from suffering the same fate.

Last edited:
How'd they even get the dirt on him anyway? Audit of FA-10's? Stings?

My educated guess is that the charges were the result of targeted buys. They had someone go in and order or purchase firearms that were not on the EOPSS list. I do not believe that the state audited FA-10 reports, at least they did do that to establish the charges. I don't think that jamming up a deal is a easy as combing through FA-10s. That would be too easy and I think there may be legal (4or 5A?) issues with doing it. If it was that easy they'd have had more success by this point.

My own view (and it's exactly that) is that Mike was targeted because he openly defied the law. If you think about it, the government can look the other way to some degree as long as they can plausibly claim ignorance. But, if you openly flaunt the law you're almost forcing them to do something about it and make an example of you. For all the shortcomings in this state when it comes to guns, we get by with a level of winks and nods that just don't exist in places like CA, NY, or NJ.

I'm not trying to "I told you so". When he did that I tried to keep him out of trouble by having a close friend and well respected firearms attorney set him straight. It didn't work, sadly.

...however my sympathies for those that get caught doing illegal things due to "shouting from the rooftops" is pretty thin these days. There are those that have done similar things to Mike but didn't brag about it and some were dealt with quite differently. Keeping a low profile oftentimes will lead to more leniency. None of us like these laws, but they are the laws nevertheless . . . the right way to deal with it is to challenge them one by one in Federal Court and see what we can change.

Set him straight? What does that mean? Are you suggesting he wasn't aware he was in violation of a MGL, or that one must always follow all legislation, regardless of the lawfulness/constitutionality of it?

You don't have sympathy for those that actually take a stand and ignore unlawful legislation? That is disappointing.

Challenging it in a federal court that follows the law as little as our legislators and enforcers is often just an exercise in futility.

A similar situation occurred with Maadi-Griffitn. The proprietor made a 50BMG kit that was a "non-gun" by published BATFE standards, which was important because the owner (Stewart) was a convicted felon. The BATFE told him to knock it off. He refused, so the BATFE found a cooperative federal court to accept the BATFE's determination that the parts were "readily convertable" to an operational gun, and thus, he was a felon in possession and an unlicensed dealer. If he had heeded their early warnings, he could have opened a sub shop instead of heading to club fed.

The only way to challenge an interpretation of the law you think is bogus is in court as a plaintiff in a civil action; not as a defendant in a criminal one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom