Walther PPS MA LEGAL!!!! YAAAAAAAAYYYY

Well... there it is folks... the new list is out and its on it!!!

I myself was hoping to see the Para PDA in 9 mm on there too but one out of two ain bad....

I dont know.... does it ? I know this.. as of the January 09 EOPS approved firearms roster on the states website, its an approved firearm for ownership and purchase through this state.

But if it ain't on the AG list, an FFL won't sell it... so it's useless to be on the list.

But if it ain't on the AG list, an FFL won't sell it... so it's useless to be on the list.

What AG list? I keep reading over and over that there is no AG list only the EOPS list.

As for the PPS...I can't believe that only the 9mm made it onto the list. I have been waiting for the .40 ever since it came out. What a scam!

APPROVED FIREARMS ROSTER 01-2009
This Roster Supersedes All Previous Rosters
This roster has been compiled in accordance with M.G.L. c.140; §131¾ and 501 CMR 7.00. It contains weapons determined by Massachusetts approved independent testing laboratories to have satisfactorily completed the testing requirements of M.G.L. c. 140; §123; clauses 18th; 19th; 20th; and 21st. The reports resulting from said tests were reviewed by the Gun Control Advisory Board and those makes and models listed herein were subsequently approved by the Executive Office of Public Safety as having complied with the statutory handgun testing provisions of M.G.L. c. 140; §123.
Modifications to this roster are likely to occur periodically, and licensees and law enforcement personnel should always utilize the most recent roster for purposes of determining statutory compliance. The Approved Firearms Roster posted on the website of the Executive Office of Public Safety (www.mass.gov/EOPS) will contain the most recently approved models.
Massachusetts licensed firearms dealers should note that the transfers of handguns are also subject to the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations, 940 CMR 16.00, et seq. Firearms on this Approved Firearms Roster do not necessarily comply with the requirements of the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations. Information about those regulations, as well as the Enforcement Notice may be obtained from the Office of the Attorney General and may be accessed on the website of the Attorney General

You are both right, but if a person were not to go through an FFL, as in a person to person purchase, then it is perfectly legal to own it in MA now... thanks for the rain.

APPROVED FIREARMS ROSTER 01-2009
This Roster Supersedes All Previous Rosters
This roster has been compiled in accordance with M.G.L. c.140; §131¾ and 501 CMR 7.00. It contains weapons determined by Massachusetts approved independent testing laboratories to have satisfactorily completed the testing requirements of M.G.L. c. 140; §123; clauses 18th; 19th; 20th; and 21st. The reports resulting from said tests were reviewed by the Gun Control Advisory Board and those makes and models listed herein were subsequently approved by the Executive Office of Public Safety as having complied with the statutory handgun testing provisions of M.G.L. c. 140; §123.
Modifications to this roster are likely to occur periodically, and licensees and law enforcement personnel should always utilize the most recent roster for purposes of determining statutory compliance. The Approved Firearms Roster posted on the website of the Executive Office of Public Safety (www.mass.gov/EOPS) will contain the most recently approved models.
Massachusetts licensed firearms dealers should note that the transfers of handguns are also subject to the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations, 940 CMR 16.00, et seq. Firearms on this Approved Firearms Roster do not necessarily comply with the requirements of the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations. Information about those regulations, as well as the Enforcement Notice may be obtained from the Office of the Attorney General and may be accessed on the website of the Attorney General

You are both right, but if a person were not to go through an FFL, as in a person to person purchase, then it is perfectly legal to own it in MA now... thanks for the rain.
The PPS has always been legal to own in this state. The "list" and the AG's regulations only apply to what FFL dealers can sell.

The PPS has always been legal to own in this state. The "list" and the AG's regulations only apply to what FFL dealers can sell.

Right, it's not that it was ever illegal to own, it justeams that the firearm haziumped one of two hurdles to be g able to be transfered via FFL.

So, I know dumb question.. But, just to clarify (not getting it today, sorry)...

Even though the PPS is on the Ma. approved list, as it is not on the AG approved list no Ma FFLs are going to be selling this, correct?

I will not be able to walk into a gun shop see it on the shelf and buy one, right?

Even though the PPS is on the Ma. approved list, as it is not on the AG approved list no Ma FFLs are going to be selling this, correct?

Again, there is no AG list. Now that the PPS is on the approved firearm roster, the manufacturer and dealers have to decide if the gun meets the safety requirements as spelled out by the AG in 940 CMR 16.00. If they think it does, they'll put it up for sale. If the AG doesn't agree with them, she'll send out a cease and desist.

So, I know dumb question.. But, just to clarify (not getting it today, sorry)...

I will not be able to walk into a gun shop see it on the shelf and buy one, right?

If the speeding limit on 495 is 65 mph does this mean that you won't find anyone driving 80 mph?

Who knows what a dealer may and may not do.

Righty-O, because, again, there is no AG "list". If you call their office (and I have) they tell you to ask the manufacturers or distributors if their guns have been AG approved for sale in MA. A friend of mine is an 01 FFL, and his distributors will not send non-AG compliant guns to MA at all. Even though he could be selling them online to out of state purchasers.

Again, there is no AG list. Now that the PPS is on the approved firearm roster, the manufacturer and dealers have to decide if the gun meets the safety requirements as spelled out by the AG in 940 CMR 16.00. If they think it does, they'll put it up for sale. If the AG doesn't agree with them, she'll send out a cease and desist.

Well maybe you can put in a good word with her the next time you two get together for diner. [shocked][smile][wink]

Righty-O, because, again, there is no AG "list". If you call their office (and I have) they tell you to ask the manufacturers or distributors if their guns have been AG approved for sale in MA. A friend of mine is an 01 FFL, and his distributors will not send non-AG compliant guns to MA at all. Even though he could be selling them online to out of state purchasers.

Your friend needs to find a new distributor, plenty of MA ffl's stock non compliant guns for LEO and out of state sales.

The pp being on the list is about as useful as all the kahrs on the list. You won't be buying one from a dealer until they put that great ten pound trigger in it

Your friend needs to find a new distributor, plenty of MA ffl's stock non compliant guns for LEO and out of state sales.

Well let me qualify...he's a small shop, and doesn't keep 10 of everything in stock...so he's limited to a few distributors that give the best price for 1-2 at a time. He will special order for LEOs, but doesn't inventory that kind of stuff all the time. He doesn't (yet) do much selling on the internet, so its not an issue. I was merely illustrating the AG's BS rules and how they affect mass dealers.

Another point to be made regarding the stupidity of these "guidelines" for "consumer protection" is if we, the legal gun owners of MA, along with the law abiding gun shop owners were able to buy these firearms in gun shops, those shops would then collext...TAXES...and add to the state's coffers.

Now, I say this "tounge in cheek", but why would they want to do that? It would be much better for these guns to come into MA in dribs and drabs by private sale where no TAXES are collected...the state has so much extra money, I guess. RED money, maybe!

WTF? Why not ONE list? At least there IS an EOPS list ! Just wishful thinking, but you would think the AG might want want to talk to the Office of Public Safety; oh gee, there's a novice idea.

I'm getting more and more confused (suprise!). I've seen the roster and most glock models ARE on that list. But obviously we cannot buy a new one if we're not LEO (I know.. unless pre-98 of course). Where does it actually state that a dealer cannot sell one to non leo? I mean.... they ARE on the roster.

Sorry if this is a really dumb and/or repettive question.... I thought I had the laws down pretty good. But I also thought there actually was a physical List of AG approved guns... no?

WTF is Ma so god darn confusing?!??!!

The AG does not have a list, at least not one that is published. Rather, the manuf usually releases a statement saying "we believe our gun is MA AG reg compliant" they start praying, and then dealers start selling them,
and hope the AG doesn't whine, as usual.

Probably not. But because it is on the EOPS roster at least now we might be able to see a few on the secondary market- and it also opens the door for an "AG reg compliant" model. Don't hold your breath, though.

-Mike

Last edited:
Well let me qualify...he's a small shop, and doesn't keep 10 of everything in stock...so he's limited to a few distributors that give the best price for 1-2 at a time. He will special order for LEOs, but doesn't inventory that kind of stuff all the time. He doesn't (yet) do much selling on the internet, so its not an issue. I was merely illustrating the AG's BS rules and how they affect mass dealers.

Another point to be made regarding the stupidity of these "guidelines" for "consumer protection" is if we, the legal gun owners of MA, along with the law abiding gun shop owners were able to buy these firearms in gun shops, those shops would then collext...TAXES...and add to the state's coffers.

Now, I say this "tounge in cheek", but why would they want to do that? It would be much better for these guns to come into MA in dribs and drabs by private sale where no TAXES are collected...the state has so much extra money, I guess. RED money, maybe!

I understand, sorry if it seemed like I was making assumptions. This situation gets a lot like the catalog retailer situation, what is legal and what people(dealers/distributors) are willing to do is two different things.

The net here is that the PPS being on the EOPS list and it can now be sold to LEOs. Hopefully S&W will be sacrifycing a goat or whatever it takes to get it AG approved and it will actually be available for the great unwashed in MA to purchase. S&W generally has a good record in this regard.

Ah... good read. Thank you.

Well, it is if you like reading legal humor. 940 CMR 16 means whatever the AG wants it to mean at any given time, more or less. You can design a
handgun to meet these so called "standards" and the AG can still say "fail" if
she wants to.

That, frankly, is the worst part about this compliance crap- manufacturers have to make, at best, on a good day, a wild ass guess at what bogus terms like "series of multiple motions" and weasel terms like "average 5 year old" (Look at 16.05 for this crap... )

-Mike

Well... there it is folks... the new list is out and its on it!!!

I myself was hoping to see the Para PDA in 9 mm on there too but one out of two ain bad....

You folks have got to vote for 1 branch of government rather than 2.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know how the PPS compares against the Kahr PM9? Anyone shot both of them? (Obviously that's directed to our neighbors in Free America).

Back
Top Bottom