Walmart stops selling most ammo and bans open carry

The worrisome part is if in one fell swoop, online sales end. Then what? We need local stores.

P.S. West Boylston Walmart still had full shelves. I did not see signs saying it isn't for sale, but I also did not see the smiley face clearance signs. No sign of any employee (Ted Nugent).

Last edited:
Very surprised and happy to see that the Coventry Wally world is fully stocked. I know it won't but it would be nice if it stayed that way. Imagine a world where everyone stands by their laurels and let's all that ammo collect dust.

I only hope that firearm owners reject Walmart fully. I doubt all will but one can hope
Like I said in a previous post, I only go into Walmart for my meds...there is nothing else there that interests me. The food is much more expensive there than Market Basket and nowhere near the selection. I buy clothes at other places or online. When I used to go there they either had nothing in my style or cheaply made clothes...and whatever they may have had was usually no cheaper than better stores.

Like I said in a previous post, I only go into Walmart for my meds...there is nothing else there that interests me. The food is much more expensive there than Market Basket and nowhere near the selection. I buy clothes at other places or online. When I used to go there they either had nothing in my style or cheaply made clothes...and whatever they may have had was usually no cheaper than better stores.

I agree. Although I do like to go their to pick up girls, I find the quality of my dates there is great Lol!

The worrisome part is if in one fell swoop, online sales end. Then what? We need local stores.

Add to that the possibility of ending private sales of firearms and Our Heritage is doomed...

Very surprised and happy to see that the Coventry Wally world is fully stocked. I know it won't but it would be nice if it stayed that way. Imagine a world where everyone stands by their laurels and let's all that ammo collect dust.
I hit the trap range this weekend and needed to buy 4 boxes of target loads. I usually get them at Walmart for a little over $5 a box. I went past Walmart and stopped at state line in plaistow and gladly paid $7.99 a box.

Have to say that even after spending more......I realized that convenience was almost worth it. Not having to weave my way through the welfare moms and then wait for a clerk was well worth the extra cash. I'll be making my ammo purchases from local shops, kittery trading Post, or online going forward.

Does anyone really think Walmart cares what gun enthusiasts think? Looking at their Form 10-K for the fiscal year ending 31 JAN 2019, “Other Categories” of US income represented less than 1% (0.8% ($2,937/$331,666)) of total revenue. I’d be surprised if ammo isn’t included in that amount. So this move is giving them more social capital than they’re losing monetarily. See Page 77:

Social capital? What does that mean? lmao.... Walmart has ZERO place to speak about that kind of thing anyways. (shit work culture, shit pay, avoids hiring full timers as much as possible, insert other scummy conhugeco stuff here) Anyone shopping at walmart doesn't care about that shit anyways- this we don't sell ammo thing isn't going to make ultra-libs suddenly start shopping at walmart. Walmart could be in the puppy mill business and power their stores off fuel made out of ground elephant tusks, with generators lubricated by whale oil and mega-skinflints would still show up in droves to shop there to save 3 dollars on a cart of groceries or some other junk they don't need.

I think that walmart will get hurt from loss of side-sales- there are hordes of people who went to walmart to buy ammo, and then also got other stuff while they were there to
buy ammo. It remains to be seen if those people will come back etc, and who knows how much of their sales were like this.

The problem of course is, because this is america, "Being a total Skinflint" is the preeminent religion of our society, so it wouldn't surprise me if whatever impact this has to their bottom line, won't last very long.... because WalMart is basically a weekly megachurch for skinflints.

-Mike

The problem of course is, because this is america, "Being a total Skinflint" is the preeminent religion of our society, so it wouldn't surprise me if whatever impact this has to their bottom line, won't last very long.... because WalMart is basically a weekly megachurch for skinflints.

"Being A Total Skinflint" = BATS ??

Social capital? What does that mean? lmao.... Walmart has ZERO place to speak about that kind of thing anyways. (shit work culture, shit pay, avoids hiring full timers as much as possible, insert other scummy conhugeco stuff here) Anyone shopping at walmart doesn't care about that shit anyways- this we don't sell ammo thing isn't going to make ultra-libs suddenly start shopping at walmart. Walmart could be in the puppy mill business and power their stores off fuel made out of ground elephant tusks, with generators lubricated by whale oil and mega-skinflints would still show up in droves to shop there to save 3 dollars on a cart of groceries or some other junk they don't need.

I think that walmart will get hurt from loss of side-sales- there are hordes of people who went to walmart to buy ammo, and then also got other stuff while they were there to
buy ammo. It remains to be seen if those people will come back etc, and who knows how much of their sales were like this.

-Mike
Walmart represents 20% of all ammo sold per year in the us. Quara says Americans spend $15 billion on ammo per year. That's $3 billion a year of ammo bought at Walmart. CEO says they will go from 20% to 6% of national sales with this move. That will put them at just under $1 billion in ammo sales per year. They will give up $2 billion of sales with this move.

I don't think they will make that up with additional soccer mom sales based on "social capital" lol

-Mike
I use to go there for an oil change, and if it was around hunting season, I could drop a couple hundred bucks by the time I was finished. No more.
Bill

walmart is just another store that is reducing their served market potential for nothing but a pc reason, guess it means many fewer trips there for me.

buy ammo.

Walmart represents 20% of all ammo sold per year in the us. Quara says Americans spend $15 billion on ammo per year. That's $3 billion a year of ammo bought at Walmart. CEO says they will go from 20% to 6% of national sales with this move. That will put them at just under $1 billion in ammo sales per year. They will give up $2 billion of sales with this move.

I know Walmart is very good at what they do, but I really wonder if they thought this one through. Ammo is definitely bringing in people who buy other stuff while they are there. And I will be amazed if Walmart still has 6% of the ammo market when this is all done.

From what I can understand, Walmart will continue to sell hunting rifle ammo, shotgun shells and rimfire. Right now, Walmart's share of those things may account for 6% of the total market. But every one of those customers who also needs pistol ammo, or 5.56, is now going to start doing business with another vendor. Some of those vendors are going to do a good job and end up with all of the customer's business.

So I would be amazed if this only costs them the $2 billion that @whacko estimated above.

... Walmart will continue to sell hunting rifle ammo, shotgun shells and rimfire. ... every one of those customers who also needs pistol ammo, or 5.56, ...

So, if 5.56 is out, is .223 hunting ammo also out?
top_5_coyote_223.jpg

Last edited:
most handgun calibers too?

They may as well just close the gun counter
most handgun calibers too?

They may as well just close the gun counter
I was in Portsmouth yesterday, and the very helpful woman told me that it is only 5.56 and .233 that they will no longer be selling. They had boxes and boxes of 9mm, .40SW, .45ACP, etc. This, as opposed to Seabrook, which had only aluminum Blasers in 9mm and THEIR employee echoed the original statement that they would no longer be carrying ammo. PERIOD. Can anybody add anything to this?

Back
Top Bottom