"Walls of Steel" 2008

I'm going to give it a try. Sent application a few days ago. How heavy are the targets? I'm using pretty light .45 loads. 200gr semiwad, 5.1gr w231 and now I'm wondering if I should bump them up.

Not sure exactly how heavy they are. Have used 115 gr. 9mm and that knocks them over, so I think you should be OK.

I'm going to give it a try. Sent application a few days ago. How heavy are the targets? I'm using pretty light .45 loads. 200gr semiwad, 5.1gr w231 and now I'm wondering if I should bump them up.

For the PSA Shootout a "power factor" of 130 is recommended (bullet wt x vel).
I have not shot RI targets - so I can't say how heavy they are.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I received the certificates from Smith & Wesson for the two M&P handguns. We will be drawing a name from the list of registered shooters for the first of the certificates and we will be selling raffle tickets for the second certificate. The winners will get their choice of a brand new M & P direct from the factory. The winners may choose between a 9mm, .40 S&W or a .45 ACP.
There are still available slots for shooters if anyone who has not already registered would like to do so.
Get those entry forms in as soon as possible so we can add your name to the drawing.
Jim

Are there any Saturday slots left? I just got the call that my new open gun will be ready in 2-3 weeks so I'll have it before this match. My current gun doesn't give me the option to run light loads but the new one will.

Thanks,
Pete

Yes PistolPete there are slots open for Saturday. Get your entry form to me and i will make sure you get whatever time slot you want.

Not sure exactly how heavy they are. Have used 115 gr. 9mm and that knocks them over, so I think you should be OK.

5.0 of 231 gives me about 800 fps with a 200 gr bullet in a five inch 1911. This is a 160 PF load which should work fine. If I shoot a .45 this will be the load I use.

PS What is the maximum distance we will be shooting?

Gammon,
From my past experience shooting there I'd say it'll be around 35 feet. Maybe you should come by this Sunday for a trial run at some of the plates. They are having a steel match this Sunday and I believe next Sunday as well.

It's a great chance to check out the club and test your ammo on their steel.

-Cuz

Gammon,
From my past experience shooting there I'd say it'll be around 35 feet. Maybe you should come by this Sunday for a trial run at some of the plates. They are having a steel match this Sunday and I believe next Sunday as well.

It's a great chance to check out the club and test your ammo on their steel.

-Cuz

Wish I could, but I work weekends. Thanks for the info. The reason I asked was that light loads for the .45 tend to shoot low past 25 yds. As long as the shooting is inside 25yds htere's no problem.

Wish I could, but I work weekends. Thanks for the info. The reason I asked was that light loads for the .45 tend to shoot low past 25 yds. As long as the shooting is inside 25yds htere's no problem.

You have no worries there, all of the shooting is done in close. I bet no target is more than 40 feet away. I'll try to verify this weekend when I see Jim up there.

-Cuz.

I measured one of the stages today and the distance was 40 feet from the back of the table to the plate racks. This seemed to be about the farthest distance of the 3 stages we shot on today.
-Cuz.

Donna,
There are still slots available for Saturday. Get me your entry forms as soon as possible please.
Jim

Hey all,
This coming Sunday at Wallum Lake is a great time to come and scope out the club and get a mini preview of some of their steel stages. They are having a three stage knock-down steel match. For only $5 per gun (enter up to 3 guns!) you will get to run 3 stages of approximately 18-23 targets each. There's a 50% payout too. Yesterday they had a man vs man steel match which was also a lot of fun.
-Cuz.

Who won that, you or Jim?
Respectfully,
jkelly

JKelly,
Well, since you asked, Jim was kind enough to shoot his stop plate before he knocked down all his plates and thus handed me the win. It's a terrible way to beat someone, but I took the win gladly just the same. Then, in true sportsmanship fashion I made sure everyone knew that I beat him. I know Jim wouldn't have it any other way and will be looking for me the next time we face off. While the contest was very close, had he not shot his stop plate early I'm sure he would have beaten me. It always seems that even on my best runs he is just a bit faster than me, but I'm working on it.

So you must be "Kelly". Cool, I always like to put a face to someone here online. See you on the range.
-Cuz.

JKelly,
It always seems that even on my best runs he is just a bit faster than me, but I'm working on it.

See you on the range.
-Cuz.

He did the same to me on my only good run of the day, I saw his stop plate drop just as I was aiming at mine.

See you Sunday.

Respectfully,

jkelly

walls of steel shoot

Will there be a letter sent to the shooters that entered the walls of steel event or assume that the time slot selected on the reg form is good to go?

Shooter,
I have not been sending confirmations of registrations because of the time and effort involved but if you send me a PM I would be more than happy to confirm your entry for you. I apologize to anyone who has the same inquiry and would be more than happy to answer a PM with the applicable information. Please feel free to contact me anytime by either email or phone. The match is coming up soon so if anyone has not entered and would like to then please get your entry forms in as soon as possible.
Jim

Stock revolver - IF the replacement of the factory gold bead w/a fiber optic unit and the factory cylinder latch w/an extended Hogue unit still permits it to be classified as "Stock."

Stock revolver - IF the replacement of the factory gold bead w/a fiber optic unit and the factory cylinder latch w/an extended Hogue unit still permits it to be classified as "Stock."
Don't know for sure, I'm certainly not the rules expert...but I believe that would be no problem. As far as I know, what gets a revolver into "open" are things like porting, bbl. weights, red dots, etc.etc. Fiber optic should be a neutral item and I think when you say "extended Hogue" you speak of an oversize grip? Again, to the best of my knowledge, should not be a factor. Looking forward to meeting you. There's a shooter's meeting prior to the start of all firing. I'll be a guy who is 66, short grey beard, about 6-2, and if I don't have a hat on, early morning sun may blind you as it reflects off my chrome dome. [rofl] See you Friday.

Back
Top Bottom