"Walls of Steel" 2008

I had a BITCH of a time finding it and was lucky to get there before 9 AM. The one help was the sign by the side of the road.

Note that it was NOT a sign for "Walls of Steel." It was for an event TWO weeks from now.

At any rate, it caught my eye as I blasted by and I turned around to check. Good thing.

And yes, of course I had fun.

Now, where's my gift certificate?

I had a BITCH of a time finding it and was lucky to get there before 9 AM. The one help was the sign by the side of the road.

Note that it was NOT a sign for "Walls of Steel." It was for an event TWO weeks from now.

At any rate, it caught my eye as I blasted by and I turned around to check. Good thing.

And yes, of course I had fun.

Now, where's my gift certificate?

Wasn't it at the same place you shot it at last year?

I hate to admit it but I couldn't find the place. Maybe it was that missing sign. Maybe next year.

Wow, they shot steel matches at Wallum Lake twice a month since early spring. Maybe some of you should have come by and checked the place out so you would know how to find it. Sorry you got lost Gammon, why don't you try again tomorrow?

-Cuz.

Notice I wrote they do not ALWAYS have the advantage. I do not think the revolver divisions in any of these sports should be screwed with and I shoot revolver in 5 sports.

I agree with RGS on this one. The casual shooters will shoot what they own and have a blast doing it. The serious competitor will tailor his equipment as necessary to get an edge. I like the idea of being able to shoot either type of Revo in any event. If you change the rules then some people wouldn't be able to play the game with their current equipment and we would be forcing them out.

Just bring what you got, shoot it and have fun.

-Cuz.

Wasn't it at the same place you shot it at last year?

Of course it was.

However, MapQuest had me take a different exit because of a detour, I missed the sign for the pike (I suspect because the road had none) and I ended up approaching from the South; not the North.

Dead reckoning and blind luck to the rescue.

Of course it was.

However, MapQuest had me take a different exit because of a detour, I missed the sign for the pike (I suspect because the road had none) and I ended up approaching from the South; not the North.

Maybe if you'd have been driving that VW at a more "reasonable" speed you wouldn't have "missed" the sign...

:)

-Cuz.

Maybe if you'd have been driving that VW at a more "reasonable" speed you wouldn't have "missed" the sign...

I guess that depends upon one's definition of "reasonable."

Especially given the circumstances.

And I didn't upgrade the tires to "W" rated ones for a walk in the park.

Of course it was.

Dead reckoning and blind luck to the rescue.

So, failure of Mapquest and memory accompanied with the need for speed was the problem. I see now.[wink]

Sorry I missed the match. Enjoyed shooting it with you last year. Hopefully we can drag Gramps out there next year. recently the one year anniversary of the stroke.

walls of steel

Well, I had a great time shooting the walls of steel today at 2pm. It was fun and challenging. Looking forward to next year.[grin]

Never again google maps!

Just got back from the Walls of Steel and want to say what a great time we had! Much kudos to those that put it on. What a great job you guys did!
Myself, Evelyn and Jackie (the 3 Amigas) plus a new amiga Kathy and our fearless leader Joe Booker, had a ball. And our squad was great too, although we made up half of it!

Unfortunaetly, my GPS died while on 295. Fortunately I had printed out directions from Googlemaps. Unfortunately, the directions s****ked. We went in circles for a while. Stopped and asked directions and went in circles some more. On some hundred mile back road in the middle of nowhere, we pulled up to a couple at a stop sign and asked directions. Fortunately, they lived across the street from the club. We left Boston at 11:30 and got there at 1:40. Google said it would take 1 hour and 16 minutes. Right.

All in all though, well worth the trip and sight-seeing. Can't wait for the next one. And I think I'm over my fear of steel!!!!!!

Donna

Unfortunately, my GPS died while on 295. Fortunately I had printed out directions from Googlemaps. Unfortunately, the directions s****ked. We went in circles for a while. Stopped and asked directions and went in circles some more. On some hundred mile back road in the middle of nowhere, we pulled up to a couple at a stop sign and asked directions. Fortunately, they lived across the street from the club. We left Boston at 11:30 and got there at 1:40. Google said it would take 1 hour and 16 minutes. Right.

So I wasn't the only one... [wink]

Glad you and the amigas made it and enjoyed the same great weather I had yesterday.

Wow, they shot steel matches at Wallum Lake twice a month since early spring. Maybe some of you should have come by and checked the place out so you would know how to find it. Sorry you got lost Gammon, why don't you try again tomorrow?

-Cuz.

I work weekends. It was Friday or not at all. In the future, it would be a big help if the club put out a few signs. A simple paper plate with an arrow on it would do. Some IPSC clubs use a silhouette with an arrow. Anything to help the competitors navigate. From the posts here there was obviuosly a problem.

A big thanks to Jim and the crew at Wallum Lake - you folks in RI put on a great match.

If you did not shoot this match - your loss - this match was run really well.
The staff did a great job with registration, squadding and running the line.
When we completed the afternoon squad the the results for Friday and Saturday morning were already posted.

I shot on the Sat morning and Sat afternoon squad's - both squads were excellent and everyone helped out - other than some mechanical issues with my open revo the day run smoothly.

This match will be on my todo list for next year.

I too shot yesterday with the "Great Dandini" and like last year it was a good
match with little problems.

I lucked out and followed a fellow shooter to the range with GPS and made it
fine, though after reviewing my google directions they were all messed up,
went to the Wallum Lake web site and what do I see [shocked][shocked]
perfect directions listed right there !
So don't be beating up on Jim for trusting the internet (and I believe there is
a disclamier on those sites stating they ain't perfect)
Having a few signs posted, yes that could have been good, but jeez, the directions
were so easy from the web site they are hardly needed.

As a lot of folks out there know, running a match is a thankless job, (course I
know I thanked Jim and the RO's after shooting as I'm sure a lot of others did [wink])
how about thanking Jim and the rest of folks that spent there time running
you thru some fun stages and maybe ending with some "suggestions" for next
year [frown]
This is only the 2nd year for Walls of Steel so it still has it's growing pains,
so lighten up will ya and quit your belly-aching ! [smile]

And thanks again Jim, and all you other folks who helped, looking forward to next year.

Just got back from the Walls of Steel and want to say what a great time we had! Much kudos to those that put it on. What a great job you guys did!
Myself, Evelyn and Jackie (the 3 Amigas) plus a new amiga Kathy and our fearless leader Joe Booker, had a ball. And our squad was great too, although we made up half of it!

Unfortunaetly, my GPS died while on 295. Fortunately I had printed out directions from Googlemaps. Unfortunately, the directions s****ked. We went in circles for a while. Stopped and asked directions and went in circles some more. On some hundred mile back road in the middle of nowhere, we pulled up to a couple at a stop sign and asked directions. Fortunately, they lived across the street from the club. We left Boston at 11:30 and got there at 1:40. Google said it would take 1 hour and 16 minutes. Right.

All in all though, well worth the trip and sight-seeing. Can't wait for the next one. And I think I'm over my fear of steel!!!!!!

Donna

It was a pleasure being squaded with you and the rest of the amigas (amigos too) on saturday afternoon.
That was a great group of folks to share an afternoon of shooting.
For those who haven't looked at Wallum Lake's calendar, they are hosting a six-stage steel shoot next sunday, the 31th. I'm trying to rearrange my schedule so that I can participate. I hope some or all of you can make it too.
Till we meet again, best wishes for straight shooting.
Bill

Many thanks to Jim, Bobby, Roger and the entire crew of helpers over at Wallum Lake. You guys did an awesome job putting on this match. I shot today in absolutely perfect weather and with a great squad. Everyone helped out and we whipped thru the match. The stages were both fun and challenging. I liked the idea of having the Range Officer stay with the squad and run us thru all of the stages. There wasn't a single problem with anything, other than my times of some of the stages :) Definately a "must shoot" for next year as this will only get better and better.

Oh yeah, I believe they are having a bowling pin shoot there next Sunday for anyone looking for some shooting action on the 5th Sunday in August.

-Cuz.

Hi Folks, I would like to start by saying "I'm Tired". What a great week!!! I can't thank you all enough for coming to the match! I wish I could list everyone by name who helped but to be honest I'm very brain dead at the moment and not a very good typist anyway. I have to say that the 2nd annual "Walls of Steel" went extremely well in my opinion and after a brief, about 3 months, hiatus we'll start thinking about next year. Just kidding(sort of). This is the first year we had sponsors and man did we pick the right ones. Smith & Wesson was our match sponsor and I am very honored to have been able to get them to be the match sponsor. GT Targets' Chris Martin was phenomenal in both the setting up of stage three and also running the very popular shotgun side match. As "Cuz" pointed out, next week at Wallum Lake Rod & Gun Club, there will be a bowling pin match and not a steel plate match. Please feel free to come on down and have some fun with us, check out the facilities, and enjoy some great shooting. The cost is only $5.00 per gun per division. Stock auto, stock revolver and open classes and you can enter any or all of the three divisions. Five pins and a stop plate is all it takes to win and you shoot against five different people. The official results from "Walls of Steel" will be posted at www.wallsofsteel.com in a couple of weeks. The drawings for the certificates for the Smith & Wesson M&P handguns will take place on September 8th at our monthly membership meeting. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Even if you need directions.

It was a pleasure being squaded with you and the rest of the amigas (amigos too) on saturday afternoon.
That was a great group of folks to share an afternoon of shooting.
For those who haven't looked at Wallum Lake's calendar, they are hosting a six-stage steel shoot next sunday, the 31th. I'm trying to rearrange my schedule so that I can participate. I hope some or all of you can make it too.
Till we meet again, best wishes for straight shooting.
Bill

Thanks Bill - it WAS a great group and we had a lot of fun. Perfect weather, perfect company. And our R.O. was extraordinary - even if he did call me snookums. Or was it sugarpie? [rolleyes] But seriously, what a trooper - putting up with us Amigas, standing out in that hot sun all day and still keeping a smile on his face.

Hope we all get to shoot together again!

Donna

Many thanks to Jim, Bobby, Roger and the entire crew of helpers over at Wallum Lake. You guys did an awesome job putting on this match. I shot today in absolutely perfect weather and with a great squad. Everyone helped out and we whipped thru the match. The stages were both fun and challenging. I liked the idea of having the Range Officer stay with the squad and run us thru all of the stages. There wasn't a single problem with anything, other than my times of some of the stages :) Definately a "must shoot" for next year as this will only get better and better.

Oh yeah, I believe they are having a bowling pin shoot there next Sunday for anyone looking for some shooting action on the 5th Sunday in August.

-Cuz.

Cuz...nice to "meet" you. We've seen each other at the plate matches but I didn't know you were "Cuz". [grin]

Did you RO Cuz's squad?
Respectfully,
jkelly

JKelly,
Our RO was Jim P. He's a good guy and I thought he did a great job. I'll have to find some time later to post a few of the pics I took.

-Cuz.

Did you RO Cuz's squad?

Respectfully,

jkelly

No. I met Cuz in the morn. and found that we had seen each other at plate matches...just never knew each other as NES members. Not sure where he started, but I was with the squad that started on Stage 5.

Back
Top Bottom