• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Waiting on my lic from New Bedford PD

Had my interview for my LTC on DEC.28th and was told to call in 9 weeks if I had not received it yet. I called my Local PD and said "Good afternoon I'm calling to check in on my LTC application, I had my interview on Dec. 28th and the SGT Said "Yea it takes awhile". I said I understood you guys are busy but it's been 9 weeks and was told to call. He said it's not us it's Boston. I send them out as soon as we get them.

He took my name and quickly said NOPE not here. Almost like to just tell me something to get me off the phone. I thanked him for his time and hung up. I called Boston on the 26th of FEB. and they said it was approved on the 22nd. and sent to the NB PD. Does anyone know the process after it is sent out? Today being Sunday the 3rd of March. I'm hoping it comes in tomorrows mail. Chances it was "lost" in the mail? Thanks all

Sit tight. Nothing you do or say will help speed up the process. It is most frustrating but getting LTCs out is just not a high PD priority. 8-9 weeks is still better than we had 4-5-6 years ago.

1. Town/city sends it to state.
2. State sends OK/denied back to town/city.
3. Town/city now has a chance to deny on suitability, assuming the state check OKed it.
4. Assuming town/city OKs it, the state prints the card and sends it to the town/city.
5. Town/city receives the card and gives it to you.

Your town/city will jerk you around and delay you at #5 because they can. And they will lie to you and say it's the state. Be patient, until it's in your hand, and even after that, they can deny you as unsuitable. Let them play their games, or be prepared for a very expensive battle, it's up to you.

In my town it's all electronic the prints and the application.

The sergeant put in my application right there during my appoint I saw him fill out the whole application and submit it.

The wait is for the state to send him the plastic card he said it can take longer if the electronic prints are crappy ans the state can't read them then he has to take a hard copy of my prints and mail them in.

He told me a police department if there slow might take a couple of weeks to process a LTC application but it's the state who take so long months at a time because there is only a couple of people who go over the application approve it print the LTC and batch mail them out.

He said it could all be done electronic in a week if they just let the cities print the LTC at the department but he said its job security for people working for the state in that department.

In my town it's all electronic the prints and the application.

The sergeant put in my application right there during my appoint I saw him fill out the whole application and submit it.

The wait is for the state to send him the plastic card he said it can take longer if the electronic prints are crappy ans the state can't read them then he has to take a hard copy of my prints and mail them in.

He told me a police department if there slow might take a couple of weeks to process a LTC application but it's the state who take so long months at a time because there is only a couple of people who go over the application approve it print the LTC and batch mail them out.

He said it could all be done electronic in a week if they just let the cities print the LTC at the department but he said its job security for people working for the state in that department.
Sorry, not buying it. I know the sequence of back and forth I listed is correct, and yes it's electronic, and there have been far too many reports of people calling the state to get the status and then being told by the PD that they don't have it yet, myself included. And what about those departments that do process them quickly? What magic do they have that consistently has the state getting back to them quickly?

Sorry but the only scenario that fits some departments being consistently fast and others consistently slow is a difference in the department.

The real flow-chart of LTC/FID application to "in-hand" is a Sticky in my sub-forum. The source of the document was FRB who I discussed it with to get it right. Not much has changed (other than more back & forth is now done electronically) since then.

The real flow-chart of LTC/FID application to "in-hand" is a Sticky in my sub-forum. The source of the document was FRB who I discussed it with to get it right. Not much has changed (other than more back & forth is now done electronically) since then.

Way better than my description of the basic back and forth.

I stood and watched the LO input into Mirc and then do the prints and then give me a receipt.

3 months later the state still had not received it.

A call to city council and I got a reply from the PD almost immediately and a couple days later it magically showed up at state.

It simply can't be the state as long as some departments are getting them done in short order and others aren't and blame the state.

There are times when the state is behind and they will tell you on the phone and it is often on the website......it also is demonstrated when everyone is getting delayed.

It has been repeated here often that this is a low priority function with no downside for the department when they set it aside. Many departments have too much on their plates and need to make slack where they can.

A lot of the smaller departments don't have these problems and generally are more closely tied to the constituency they serve socially and otherwise.

If you don't want the wait make contact with someone in local government who will squeak some wheels for you. Polite and respectful but persistent and reasonable.

I renewed mine in a green town with a great licensing officer.

It took around 6 weeks to get. This was almost 2 years ago. The LO told me she felt really bad because everyone kept calling and asking her and it was the State delaying things.

If we take that and add the time off the state employees had for new years, Presidents day, MLK day and whatever other state holidays they had ... it adds up to around 5-7 business days, maybe more.

I'm not saying they are not messing with you, but it could be true.

I know it's a low priority for the PD, and that while some departments have a dedicated LO, others pull someone off patrol to do the interview, pic, and prints. So sometimes a delay can happen. It's the BS that I have an issue with. And the departments that simply don't even try to be efficient.

I do find it interesting that those that say it's the state are basically repeating what the PD tells them and aren't checking with the state. You know you can call the state directly. And if you want to push, you can get the dates it was received, processed, and returned. It's all electronic now and each step is time stamped. So if you're so sure it's the state, ask your PD for this and see how quickly they tell you it's unavailable or won't print out the report. Then go to the state and get it.

Is Comm2a interested in taking a case on the 40-day time limit? I realize the PD would simply try to moot the case by issuing the LTC before the case came to court, but it seems to me this is a textbook example of an issue "capable of repetition, yet evading review," and thus should be appealable notwithstanding mootness.

Not sure if it’s true or not, but when I renewed 3 months ago, the officer told me you don’t get your PIN until the PO gets the lic. So mail day + a week + 3-4 days.

Ok new update,
Called again, "Good afternoon SGT. My name is.... I had my interview for my LTC 10 weeks ago. I called Boston and they said it was approved on the 22nd and sent out. I know you guys are really busy but just seeing if you can tell me anything"? He asks the spelling of my name and D.O.B and says yes you should of received it. You didn't receive it yet? "no sir" he said well you should of, ummm if it doesn't come tomorrow.... OK if it doesn't come by Monday call me back. Ok, thank you for your time. I ask would it be mailed directly to me or would it go to them first and he said directly to me.

Feel a little better about this call but if it was lost and they need to reissue it's going to be forever! Like a kid on Christmas eve over here

Had my interview for my LTC on DEC.28th and was told to call in 9 weeks if I had not received it yet. I called my Local PD and said "Good afternoon I'm calling to check in on my LTC application, I had my interview on Dec. 28th and the SGT Said "Yea it takes awhile". I said I understood you guys are busy but it's been 9 weeks and was told to call. He said it's not us it's Boston. I send them out as soon as we get them.

He took my name and quickly said NOPE not here. Almost like to just tell me something to get me off the phone. I thanked him for his time and hung up. I called Boston on the 26th of FEB. and they said it was approved on the 22nd. and sent to the NB PD. Does anyone know the process after it is sent out? Today being Sunday the 3rd of March. I'm hoping it comes in tomorrows mail. Chances it was "lost" in the mail? Thanks all
I’ve been waiting since October. PD says it’s approved. State says it’s approved. Yet here I am... still waiting.

File a complaint with the AG's office seriously do it. Mention the 40 days etc. [dance]. .........good luck

Back
Top Bottom