• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vehicle Undercoating

Agreed that there is likely a design issue with the Tacoma frame.

Still, it is really easy to keep them from rusting. I traded in my 08 in april and the only rust on it was a small spot inside the hitch.

Agreed anything can be prevented from rusting, I think Toyota didn't realize how disconnected New Englanders are from their vehicles. If you've checked your frame or undercoated your vehicle, ever, you're not who I'm talking about...The car person world seems to be bigger in almost every other part of the country. Here you're either in a Subaru, Camry, random bland SUV or a pickup truck. Only in various shades of Silver, white or black of course! Look at any mall or grocery store parking lot, its a sea of silver, white and black SUV's.

Ok so Dana has made various parts for various manufacturers for decades but can't get this frame right. Something is wrong with the DESIGN. Which would be Toyota, take a deep breath, everyone makes mistakes.

It's ok, so every 5-10 years a Tacoma needs a frame. I can't wait for Rockauto to start shipping frames. Maybe the frame will be a suggested part when you buy a belt and cabin air filter. 🤣🤣
Im really surprised theres not a aftermarket frame yet? Figure the frame was the same from what 1998-2010?

How much would it cost to add a little vanadium to the mix?

There are Model T frames covered up with vegetation, buried deep in the old logging woods, that will outlive the cockroaches, because they're made of vanadium steel. Zero rust, after all else has oxidized away.

By saying "you would not be surprised of they need to do a frame on it" sounds like your saying the majority of 2015 tacos are rotting and need frames. I have not read or heard about hordes of past 2010 tacos getting frames replaced. Have you? I mean.....the taco is the best selling mid size pickup in the US.....by a long shot. Are you really hearing of thousands and thousands 2015 tacos getting replaced frames? Serios question I'm not being a dick.

Anyway......even if in 3 to 4 years Toyota needs to replace my frame......I don't care I'll let em do the work and keep driving it. The truck doesn't owe me a dime. 6.5 years old......120k miles.....all I've ever done besides oil changes and tire rotations is one set of brakes, one set of tires, and a $400 radiator shroud. The things a tank.
I had my 2010 frame replaced last year. I bought it used in 2013 with 54k on the odometer...I've had it fluid filmed every year since I bought it. I got the notice from Toyota to bring it in for inspection. They said it needed a new frame. Zero cost to me but I had them replace a few things while they had it apart. As i remember, i didn't have to pay any labor for the installation of the extra parts i supplied.

I had my 2010 frame replaced last year. I bought it used in 2013 with 54k on the odometer...I've had it fluid filmed every year since I bought it. I got the notice from Toyota to bring it in for inspection. They said it needed a new frame. Zero cost to me but I had them replace a few things while they had it apart. As i remember, i didn't have to pay any labor for the installation of the extra parts i supplied.

So despite the fluid film the frame still ended up corroding to the point of needing to be replaced?

If the debris that entered the boxed sections of the frame before you got it never got washed out then it doesn't matter how much fluid film you put on top of the debris, it will rot out just the same in that area. The coatings will only protect the metal they touch. This goes for every vehicle. Anywhere salt/sand/dirt can accumulate and get rehydrated for years, will rot, period. I don't care what coating is protecting the steel under it, it will rot. Boxed frames are very difficult to deal with, you can wash and coat the outside every day and it will look great, but if you don't wash out the inside, it will still fall apart.

So despite the fluid film the frame still ended up corroding to the point of needing to be replaced?
well, funny you should ask...

I know a guy that worked at a toyota dealer and he led me to believe that there was some not so honest stuff going on with these "warranty" frame replacements...a Tacoma owner would get a letter to bring in the truck for inspection that fell in the years that were suspected to have frame rust issues. They would submit the failure report to Toyota but in fact, there were no real rust issues...they would send Toyota pictures of other rusty/failed frames and get the $$$ to replace said frame...

I can't say that is what happened to mine but the last three years I had it coated, it was done by the guy that did it for members here. He did a great and thorough job...I asked him if he saw any rust and after banging around and poking areas that were known to rust, he said he saw nothing. I believe the criteria to fail a frame was a hole in the frame the size of a quarter...I'm pretty sure if there was a hole that size, he would've seen it for sure.

So was mine replaced even though it didn't need it but the dealer needed the money? I don't know. I do know I definitely got a new frame as well as new front end, brake lines, e-brake cables, etc. at no cost to me. All I bought were rear shocks and struts for the front which they installed at no labor cost..

The tacoma issue is the boxed frame. It rots from the inside out. You can apply rust prevention stuff at home once a week and it won't do any good.

When the dealerships do the work they do the inside and outside.

Will be doing some jeep and chevy rust band aid repair over the next few days
Good thing they aren't Toyotas, you would need a LOT more metal! Have fun! Of course you do realize the only reason you're not doing those repairs on Tacomas is because the dealerships have been replacing lots of parts when they do the frame swaps. Creates a false illusion of reliability.

I would like to see a picture of those GM and Jeep mounts with a Tacoma frame on the bench next to them. Then it's a clear picture of the difference between the manufacturers.

Good thing they aren't Toyotas, you would need a LOT more metal! Have fun! Of course you do realize the only reason you're not doing those repairs on Tacomas is because the dealerships have been replacing lots of parts when they do the frame swaps. Creates a false illusion of reliability.

I would like to see a picture of those GM and Jeep mounts with a Tacoma frame on the bench next to them. Then it's a clear picture of the difference between the manufacturers.
Eh , im not good with pictures. Plenty of jeep/chevy/ford dangerously rotted lets say 2000 and newer.
As far as repairs during frame work. Unless you add extras like previous poster and myself.
I had them do my Trans and oil cooler lines , shocks and Tbelt water pump which i had already purchased to do myself. I was charged 1/2 labor rate for the lines/water pump. Shocks no charge.
I tried getting them to do the steering rack as it was rotted and weeping . I got a big NO and they would only install a toyota rack.
Tbelt/pump/lines and shocks where all toyota.

My friends tocoma needed alot of other work during frame redo. He did not get any deals. Extra work must be on the dealer for pricing or the service writer is good at warranty claims?

We have a split of toyo/ford/gm trucks in the rotation. 98% are older men owners and pavement pounders only.
GM on a large scale is the largest average ticket repair by far. Right now early to mid 2000's are the OLD trucks coming in.

The jeep is a 2000? It has every frame repair kit and then some on it.
GM 2007, rear upper shock mounts. Really needs the new cross tubes and rear section but like I said "bandaid" He was quoted $2500 to do the cross tubes.
This stuff is not my "normal" repair. I have no idea how long it will take.
Gas tank is coming out cause it leaks at the top sending unit/ring. That will open up even more of a mess.
Only thing different from frames between the trucks is toyota HAS to warranty them by court order. Gm/ford sucks for you.

Last edited:
How much would it cost to add a little vanadium to the mix?

There are Model T frames covered up with vegetation, buried deep in the old logging woods, that will outlive the cockroaches, because they're made of vanadium steel. Zero rust, after all else has oxidized away.
This is my thoughts, has to be the alloy mix along with the early Dana manufacturing issue?
If I can think of it I will start logging some frame pictures

I've often wondered how it could still be a problem. The most expensive and labor intensive repair possible on a Tacoma and it went on for how many years? What is the Engineering team doing on that truck? Blame Dana if you want but Toyota kept using them. The buck stops at Toyota.

I've often wondered how it could still be a problem. The most expensive and labor intensive repair possible on a Tacoma and it went on for how many years? What is the Engineering team doing on that truck? Blame Dana if you want but Toyota kept using them. The buck stops at Toyota.

Nothing. Toyota doesn't listen to their customers when it comes to the Tacoma.

Check out mass mobile undercoating in Grafton. Well worth it and they do an awesome job. Every little nook gets hit and up here we need the extra protection for sure

It was probably more costly to change manufactures, probably some costly union contract withdrawal shit who knows.
God knows how many frames where pre built and sat waiting to be installed and knowing those frames had issues and still installed all while Dana started making the replacements. I have nothing to back it up but heard that frames could have been already 4+ years old before hitting the assembly line?

Boxed frames are the worst thing that ever happened to trucks

My 2005 F150 with 64K miles on it has been sitting behind the shop for a year now because when we were taking the transmission out to find out why it STB, the frame was found to be rotted so bad from under the dashboard to the rear that fixing the transmission was going to be a waste of money

This truck got washed 3 times after every snow storm, including spraying the living daylights out of the underside then driving it thru the car wash.... apparently it holds water like a sponge and Dorman is making front frame repair sections for them.

I think 2020 was the first year of a power drivers seat on them. They listen. It just takes 20 years
Who wants a power seat in a truck? 1) how many people are driving your truck/how often are you really adjusting the thing? 2) are your hand/legs broken? 3) it's just another circuit/motor to break 4) they're slow as hell.

A/C? Absolutely; it helps keep the glass clear, and it contributes to the kind of comfort can help you be more alert.
Power windows and locks? Sure, you'll use the locks every day, and the windows almost as often. Being able to operate them everywhere in the vehicle from your seat is super handy.
Heated seats/steering wheel? Sure, 1/3 of the year (in certain areas) you might be getting in a cold car, and it can be kind of nice to treat yourself. And electric heaters are stone simple.

Power seats in a (predominantly) single operator vehicle are dumb as hell.

Who wants a power seat in a truck? 1) how many people are driving your truck/how often are you really adjusting the thing? 2) are your hand/legs broken? 3) it's just another circuit/motor to break 4) they're slow as hell.

A/C? Absolutely; it helps keep the glass clear, and it contributes to the kind of comfort can help you be more alert.
Power windows and locks? Sure, you'll use the locks every day, and the windows almost as often. Being able to operate them everywhere in the vehicle from your seat is super handy.
Heated seats/steering wheel? Sure, 1/3 of the year (in certain areas) you might be getting in a cold car, and it can be kind of nice to treat yourself. And electric heaters are stone simple.

I wish they had added rear disc brakes instead of an electric seat

I use my power seat when I set the cruise control, recline and sleep on long straight stretches of highways

Boxed frames are the worst thing that ever happened to trucks
Agreed, I was shocked at the amout of rust and other shit that came out of my old jeeps boxed sections!

I use the spray tube/wand thingee they sell on Amazon: Amazon.com: Woolwax Spray can Extension Wand by Kellsport: Automotive

Generally you can find a hole every 18 inches or so...stick the wand and spray both directions. This wand works well with Eastmans internal frame coating paint and Fluid film.

When I first got my jeep, I used a length of aircraft cable with the ends frayed attached to a drill to loosen all the crap inside the box sections. I blew out an assload of old undercoat, rust, mouse shit, acorns, etc. I followed up with the green Eastmans frame coating and fluid film. It seemed to hold up pretty well. The only good thing about the boxed sections is that fluid film does not wash off easily.

I've also been told by some old timers that bar and chain oil mixed with kerosine works well on frame rails....personally never tried it.

1626277037105.png

Back
Top Bottom