• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vehicle Undercoating

mitch28

NES Member
Looking to get my 2003 Ford Explorer professionally undercoated before this winter, truck has only been driven a couple times each
previous winter. I have done some manual application on the frame but would like to get the entire underside done.
I'm in the Woburn area, thanks!!

Totally not completely on topic but near the topic......

Toyota just did the frame and under coat of my 2015 tacoma for free. Seems it's part of their "retribution" for previous frame rot and rust issues lol. They sent me a letter when the truck turned 6 years old and said it needed to be brought to a Toyota dealer for frame inspection and treatment. I took it to Rockingham toyota.....they gave me a loaner car for free and had the truck for 4 days. They de scale the frame Inside and out.....then apply what the paperwork says is wax and oil rust inhibitor.....the oil stuff is applied inside the frame with some specialized equipment. Anyway.....it was completely free.....and with this completed if the frame rots before the truck is 15 years old they will replace the frame. All was done no charge and they gave me a loaner.

I know tacomas had some frame rust issues pre 2005 but I was under the impression they solved that by using drain channels in the full box frame sections. Anyway......I'm actually glad they did all of it for free. I was expecting the service manager to hand me the list of "urgent" repairs they found during the inspection like most dealerships do when you come back for a recall.....but nope......he just gave me the paperwork for the rust inhibitor work and off I went.

Toyota just did the frame and under coat of my 2015 tacoma for free. Seems it's part of their "retribution" for previous frame rot and rust issues lol. They sent me a letter when the truck turned 6 years old and said it needed to be brought to a Toyota dealer for frame inspection and treatment. I took it to Rockingham toyota.....they gave me a loaner car for free and had the truck for 4 days. They de scale the frame Inside and out.....then apply what the paperwork says is wax and oil rust inhibitor.....the oil stuff is applied inside the frame with some specialized equipment. Anyway.....it was completely free.....and with this completed if the frame rots before the truck is 15 years old they will replace the frame. All was done no charge and they gave me a loaner.

I know tacomas had some frame rust issues pre 2005 but I was under the impression they solved that by using drain channels in the full box frame sections. Anyway......I'm actually glad they did all of it for free. I was expecting the service manager to hand me the list of "urgent" repairs they found during the inspection like most dealerships but nope......he just gave me the paperwork for the rust inhibitor work and off I went.
The short story of toyota frame issues was a manufacturing fault. There where no frames available for the first gen tacoma. Knowing the frames already produced and in production had the same fault , dana manufacturing was already making replacements for all the frames after the problem was exposed.

Looking to get my 2003 Ford Explorer professionally undercoated before this winter, truck has only been driven a couple times each
previous winter. I have done some manual application on the frame but would like to get the entire underside done.
I'm in the Woburn area, thanks!!
do not use traditional rubberized under coating. Dont use products that Do Not have rust converter ability.
2003 . Be very careful who you have apply any of the "oil/wax" films. Remeber for the most part you are just covering up the existing rust.

Getting the under side flushed of any residual salts, loose rust and dirt is the time consuming part. So far i have not seen anything through my shop that has been done "profesionally" that did not look like a DIY driveway job.
No attempt to flush the rails, did not use long hoses with 360' applicators to get into any "boxed in " areas. Very little attempt to knock off the loose rust.
I might finally get around to doing my 2011 tundra with a deep under side wash, apply a rust converter and either paint it or apply one of the "oil/wax" treatments.

do not use traditional rubberized under coating. Dont use products that Do Not have rust converter ability.
2003 . Be very careful who you have apply any of the "oil/wax" films. Remeber for the most part you are just covering up the existing rust.

Getting the under side flushed of any residual salts, loose rust and dirt is the time consuming part. So far i have not seen anything through my shop that has been done "profesionally" that did not look like a DIY driveway job.
No attempt to flush the rails, did not use long hoses with 360' applicators to get into any "boxed in " areas. Very little attempt to knock off the loose rust.
I might finally get around to doing my 2011 tundra with a deep under side wash, apply a rust converter and either paint it or apply one of the "oil/wax" treatments.
The Toyota dealer had my truck for 4 days when they did mine. I'm assuming it was a thorough job. At any rate.....with this done they guarantee the frame rot free up to 15 years or they replace the frame so it's piece of mind Anyway. My son owns the truck now (he's 19) so I'm not too sure he'll have it until 2030 anyway.

Cheap plug. My 16 yo grandson Little Jack has full time summer job at an auto repair shop in Fitzwilliam, NH. He does all the undercoating and frame welding there. I hear that he does a good job. Story was that he applied for the job there, they picked his brains for a while and hired him. He's 6'- 3, and 225 lbs. At the end they asked his age which was 15 at the time. They got him the "large" uniforms. Jack.

The short story of toyota frame issues was a manufacturing fault. There where no frames available for the first gen tacoma. Knowing the frames already produced and in production had the same fault , dana manufacturing was already making replacements for all the frames after the problem was exposed.
I read that the problem was the full box frame in the old sr5 and first Gen tacos....while strong as hell.....had a tendency to hold water inside it and rot from the inside out.

i have been looking for a good source for the different applicator tips.
I plan on using a rust converter before any "cover up" . Ceroseal says it can be applied with a sprayer but i want some different angle tips and 360' tips for the tough spots.

I’m a Woolwax convert as a former NH guy.

Damn this stuff is still active moving around
from 2 years ago. They took a fair amount of my truck and the wife’s SUV apart and porked it hard with spray. Shop fully washed the undercarriage on a lift then let it dry overnight before taking it apart to spray.
Shop said I’d never do it again. We’ll see as I not buying another new truck.
Woolwax will attract dust and dirt but it doesn’t wash off. Touch anything under the truck today and it leaves a grease mark. It’s not for show.

I know tacomas had some frame rust issues pre 2005 but I was under the impression they solved that by using drain channels in the full box frame sections. Anyway......I'm actually glad they did all of it for free. I was expecting the service manager to hand me the list of "urgent" repairs they found during the inspection like most dealerships do when you come back for a recall.....but nope......he just gave me the paperwork for the rust inhibitor work and off I went.
Even the 2015 gen rot through.
If you keep it, even with the service I would not be surprised if they need to do a frame on it.
For your service they inspect the frame. If its "ok" they undercoat, if its bad they replace.
The older ones they were buying back (expired), the next batch they were replacing frames, now they are onto ones that are 6-7 years (coating/replacing frames)

We had a guy in the board in NH who offered his services a few years ago. Would love to find him. I want my car done as well as my truck. His prices were great.

Even the 2015 gen rot through.
If you keep it, even with the service I would not be surprised if they need to do a frame on it.
For your service they inspect the frame. If its "ok" they undercoat, if its bad they replace.
The older ones they were buying back (expired), the next batch they were replacing frames, now they are onto ones that are 6-7 years (coating/replacing frames)
By saying "you would not be surprised of they need to do a frame on it" sounds like your saying the majority of 2015 tacos are rotting and need frames. I have not read or heard about hordes of past 2010 tacos getting frames replaced. Have you? I mean.....the taco is the best selling mid size pickup in the US.....by a long shot. Are you really hearing of thousands and thousands 2015 tacos getting replaced frames? Serios question I'm not being a dick.

Anyway......even if in 3 to 4 years Toyota needs to replace my frame......I don't care I'll let em do the work and keep driving it. The truck doesn't owe me a dime. 6.5 years old......120k miles.....all I've ever done besides oil changes and tire rotations is one set of brakes, one set of tires, and a $400 radiator shroud. The things a tank.

The Toyota dealer had my truck for 4 days when they did mine. I'm assuming it was a thorough job.
That's a bold assumption.

More likely, they worked it in between jobs they were actually getting paid for. If you have to claim the warranty, it won't be out of the dealer's pocket.

That's a bold assumption.

More likely, they worked it in between jobs they were actually getting paid for. If you have to claim the warranty, it won't be out of the dealer's pocket.
From my research the job takes 3 to 4 days due to the time it takes to dry the frame out. Guess I'm just not as much a cynic as you are. Also the dealer gets paid by Toyota corporate to do all of these inspections and rust prevention treatments.

I try to do fluid film spring and fall. You can get the stuff in a gallon paint can and spray it on. I still usually grab a spray can with the 18 inch hose/nozzle to get in nooks and crannies.

After the first coat it does not take long because you are mostly applying it to large frame areas where it’s washed off by rain. The spray gun makes this a 10 minute job with an oil change.

Do not use any rubber or tar based undercoatings. The frame needs to be cleaned very well and then use one of the oil/wax coatings like fluid film. These are not one and done though, they need to be cleaned off and re-applied periodically as they will also trap salt and sand (it will stick to the coatings and still build up in areas). But this is the best bet for keeping things nice. If the frame is already rotting or heavily rusted in areas, then this stuff will not cut it.

When we do frame repair or coatings, we open the frame and clean out the inside of the frame front to back. Then drag the frame with an assembly we made to shoot the coatings 360 in the rails. We use a converter/sealer ( More like paint,) not wax/oil. Once we coat the rails, we still recommend the oil coatings and/or frequent wash outs to maintain the frame for long life.

I bought my 2018 Chevy Colorado new because I've always wanted a red truck. Impulse buy. Model ZZ something. Loaded with all the off road shit that I'll never use and will fail. The underside is all coated with some black stuff. What is that, and is it any good? Jack.

I might finally get around to doing my 2011 tundra
Did you buy that new? Does Toyota know where you are? They did my 2011 Tacoma last year. Same as above, 1 day clean and prep, overnight to dry out. One coat on day 2, overnight to dry. One coat on day 3, overnight to dry. Returned on day 4, free loaner all done for 0.

Did you buy that new? Does Toyota know where you are? They did my 2011 Tacoma last year. Same as above, 1 day clean and prep, overnight to dry out. One coat on day 2, overnight to dry. One coat on day 3, overnight to dry. Returned on day 4, free loaner all done for 0.
@KBCraig says they didn't do any of that ......they half assed it....... yanked your chain...... and worked it in between paying jobs.

Back
Top Bottom