Vehicle Undercoating

also recommend Dropride and his work.
Is he still doing it? I was very happy with his work but he wasn’t responding to PM’s so I had to go elsewhere and my local shop in Maine does it plus a buddy does detailing so that’s what we did. Drove both up for vacation and had them detailed and sprayed.

Did you buy that new? Does Toyota know where you are? They did my 2011 Tacoma last year. Same as above, 1 day clean and prep, overnight to dry out. One coat on day 2, overnight to dry. One coat on day 3, overnight to dry. Returned on day 4, free loaner all done for 0.
No, I will look into it though. Will most likely do it myself. Plus I want to pull door pannels , and any rubber gromets and get all up into the guts after flushing the shit out of it with water.

Totally not completely on topic but near the topic......

Toyota just did the frame and under coat of my 2015 tacoma for free. Seems it's part of their "retribution" for previous frame rot and rust issues lol. They sent me a letter when the truck turned 6 years old and said it needed to be brought to a Toyota dealer for frame inspection and treatment. I took it to Rockingham toyota.....they gave me a loaner car for free and had the truck for 4 days. They de scale the frame Inside and out.....then apply what the paperwork says is wax and oil rust inhibitor.....the oil stuff is applied inside the frame with some specialized equipment. Anyway.....it was completely free.....and with this completed if the frame rots before the truck is 15 years old they will replace the frame. All was done no charge and they gave me a loaner.

I know tacomas had some frame rust issues pre 2005 but I was under the impression they solved that by using drain channels in the full box frame sections. Anyway......I'm actually glad they did all of it for free. I was expecting the service manager to hand me the list of "urgent" repairs they found during the inspection like most dealerships do when you come back for a recall.....but nope......he just gave me the paperwork for the rust inhibitor work and off I went.
I hope this works for you. It absolutely did not for me and Toyota will not do anything about it. The backstory - 2006 Tacoma, mildly driven around town, 125k miles. Was undercoat treated around 2010 Due to recall. Rubberized type of treatment.

This past Dec, local shop was doing oil, tire rotate, etc, called me and said I had to come see the frame. Went down and watched tech stick his hand into multiple huge voids that had appeared in the side walls of the frame. The coating was still on the frame, but you could pull big chunks of the rotted frame off, all rusted on inside. Guy that owns the shop said, hey, no charge today, get this home, please don’t drive this.

Wife was beyond pissed. She pulled all the docs she had kept from recall and got on phone with Toyota dealer. This ended up with a manager who said they had inspected & taken pics of frame, all was good, then coated. Said we should take it up with Toyota, and quietly admitted we were likely screwed. Wife calls Toyota, and absolutely ran it up their flagpole as high as she could get - 4 different calls. Questioned every part of their process, even if the frame was fine then what did the coating do to the frame material, sealed in any water, etc, etc. They kept asking her, “you know how many frames we replaced?? We did what we needed to do.”

Long story short, Toyota said truck was 14, we got our use from it, they did their job, we would get no relief. They offered to replace frame, costing us $10k. That went over poorly… We currently have a perfectly good 2006 Tacoma in our driveway that has been taken off the road and we are not sure what to do with it. I had been in process of replacing headlights (originals were hazed) and making other reconditions to it, was one of my covid projects. Fun vehicle, wanted it to be around for at least 300k miles.

Good luck to you, and know Toyota will do anything they can not to remedy future frame rot issues You might encounter.

Last edited:
Totally not completely on topic but near the topic......

Toyota just did the frame and under coat of my 2015 tacoma for free. Seems it's part of their "retribution" for previous frame rot and rust issues lol. They sent me a letter when the truck turned 6 years old and said it needed to be brought to a Toyota dealer for frame inspection and treatment. I took it to Rockingham toyota.....they gave me a loaner car for free and had the truck for 4 days. They de scale the frame Inside and out.....then apply what the paperwork says is wax and oil rust inhibitor.....the oil stuff is applied inside the frame with some specialized equipment. Anyway.....it was completely free.....and with this completed if the frame rots before the truck is 15 years old they will replace the frame. All was done no charge and they gave me a loaner.

I know tacomas had some frame rust issues pre 2005 but I was under the impression they solved that by using drain channels in the full box frame sections. Anyway......I'm actually glad they did all of it for free. I was expecting the service manager to hand me the list of "urgent" repairs they found during the inspection like most dealerships do when you come back for a recall.....but nope......he just gave me the paperwork for the rust inhibitor work and off I went.
2015 and they're still dealing with that issue.... Wow.... I'm a fan of the brand, but that is downright awful.

I got the NH Oil on my 4Runneer last year. Will probably get it again before winter... and rinse / repeat annually.

It works, but the truck stinks for a week or two and drips for a week or two after... Park it in the street and not the driveway for the first couple weeks after you get it back. But it seems to work well...

I hope this works for you. It absolutely did not for me and Toyota will not do anything about it. The backstory - 2006 Tacoma, mildly driven around town, 125k miles. Was undercoat treated around 2010 Due to recall. Rubberized type of treatment.

This past Dec, local shop was doing oil, tire rotate, etc, called me and said I had to come see the frame. Went down and watched tech stick his hand into multiple huge voids that had appeared in the side walls of the frame. The coating was still on the frame, but you could pull big chunks of the rotted frame off, all rusted on inside. Guy that owns the shop said, hey, no charge today, get this home, please don’t drive this.

Wife was beyond pissed. She pulled all the docs she had kept from recall and got on phone with Toyota dealer. This ended up with a manager who said they had inspected & taken pics of frame, all was good, then coated. Said we should take it up with Toyota, and quietly admitted we were likely screwed. Wife calls Toyota, and absolutely ran it up their flagpole as high as she could get - 4 different calls. Questioned every part of their process, even if the frame was fine then what did the coating do to the frame material, sealed in any water, etc, etc. They kept asking her, “you know how many frames we replaced?? We did what we needed to do.”

Long story short, Toyota said truck was 14, we got our use from it, they did their job, we would get no relief. They offered her a $10k frame replace. That went over poorly… We currently have a perfectly good 2006 Tacoma in our driveway that has been taken off the road and we are not sure what to do with it. I had been in process of replacing headlights (originals were hazed) and making other reconditions to it, was one of my covid projects. Fun vehicle, wanted it to be around for at least 300k miles.

Good luck to you, and know Toyota will do anything they can not to remedy future frame rot issues You might encounter.
"They offered her a $10k frame replace. That went over poorly… "

Wait....they offers you 10k replace the frame on a 14 year old truck and you said no to that?

Wait....they offers you 10k replace the frame on a 14 year old truck and you said no to that? What did you expect them to do.....comp you a 2021 trd pro?
No, they wanted us to pay $10k to replace it. The cost was on us, not them. Can see how it could be read the other way, fixed post.

Yeah sorry, fixed post. Just keep sharp eye on it, hate that to happen to someone else. We liked Toyota. Probably going to move on from them.
I guess I'm just in a different boat. I'm on my second tacoma now. 2021 trail edition with oem lift kit, trd cat back exhaust, and way too many extras to type here lol

The 2015 off road is my son's now. 120k miles 6.5 years old.....just a set of brakes, set of tires, oil changes and a $400 radiator shroud last year. The paperwork they gave me back said they'll cover frame repairs until 2030. How did they weasel out of your frame repair? What did the paperwork say they gave back to you when they did the coating in 2010?

I guess I'm just in a different boat. I'm on my second tacoma now. 2021 trail edition with oem lift kit, trd cat back exhaust, and way too many extras to type here lol

The 2015 off road is my son's now. 120k miles 6.5 years old.....just a set of brakes, set of tires, oil changes and a $400 radiator shroud last year. The paperwork they gave me back said they'll cover frame repairs until 2030. How did they weasel out of your frame repair?
Yeah nice, we like their products, driving a 2020 Highlander, so still have to deal with them. That experience just tainted what had been a good relationship. And we share our experience with others so they might not have that happen to them. Sure did open door to explore other brands.

Call Riverside on Montvale. They specialize in Jeeps, so they know how to deal with rust. I just had my Wrangler done.
Can you clarify that a bit Travx? Did a quick search but didn't find “Riverside in Montvale?“ Assuming they repair rust and rot?

Can you clarify that a bit Travx? Did a quick search but didn't find “Riverside in Montvale?“ Assuming they repair rust and rot?
Riverside Car Care, 293 Montvale Ave in Woburn. They will remove rust and apply a protective coating. They seem to do a thorough job; it took them 5 days to finish my jeep.

Riverside Car Care, 293 Montvale Ave in Woburn. They will remove rust and apply a protective coating. They seem to do a thorough job; it took them 5 days to finish my jeep.
Thanks for the lead. Will check out. We’re down towards Attleboro, so may need to find a closer source, must be a shop in my area that can take a look and give a quote. Likely someone who can do frame welding too, some big voids that need replacement.

Wife was beyond pissed. She pulled all the docs she had kept from recall and got on phone with Toyota dealer. This ended up with a manager who said they had inspected & taken pics of frame, all was good, then coated. Said we should take it up with Toyota, and quietly admitted we were likely screwed. Wife calls Toyota, and absolutely ran it up their flagpole as high as she could get - 4 different calls. ...
  1. Did the original recall job come with a warranty? If so, what are its terms, especially how many months/miles?
  2. See if Steve Lehto has any YoutUbe videos on recalls for undercoating.
  3. Ask Steve Lehto if he thinks it's a good enough case to refer you to some Mass lawyer. (He's in Michigan and wouldn't take a Mass case. But if you were in Michigan, he'd muse over whether there was a plausible theory for recovery). Keep your letter short and sweet - you're asking for a consult from someone who can't personally take your case. Your post #33 may contain all of the info, but also has words he doesn't need to read.
Good luck.
I do feel your pain. We got 268K out of The Bride's 2001 CR-V until we traded it in in 2017.
And my father had to hand patch the rotted fenders in his 1959 Fairlane.

Long story short, Toyota said truck was 14, we got our use from it, they did their job, we would get no relief. They offered to replace frame, costing us $10k. That went over poorly… We currently have a perfectly good 2006 Tacoma in our driveway that has been taken off the road and we are not sure what to do with it. I had been in process of replacing headlights (originals were hazed) and making other reconditions to it, was one of my covid projects. Fun vehicle, wanted it to be around for at least 300k miles.

Dealing with the entire toyota frame shit from 2000 on It was a cluster f*** on what was recalled, replaced and so on.
I had to have my 2000 tundra reinspected 6 months after inspected , i had a trans shift cable fail and when I went under to get it going to get home I noticed some holes in the frame. I got the frame replaced shortly after.
2006 had frame issues, yours was checked and coated in 2010 and made it 10 years more. Thats much more thsn some toyota frames. 4runners seamed to get screwed on the frame ordeal.

Woolwax will attract dust and dirt but it doesn’t wash off. Touch anything under the truck today and it leaves a grease mark. It’s not for show.

That almost sounds like the stuff that they use on the garbage trucks where I work. Apply it in November and I'm still having a hell of a time getting it off the frame in July.

That almost sounds like the stuff that they use on the garbage trucks where I work. Apply it in November and I'm still having a hell of a time getting it off the frame in July.
Rust never liked oil and grease. I used gallons of it protecting my tools.
The factory frame painted crap should be banned. 😂

I bought my 2018 Chevy Colorado new because I've always wanted a red truck. Impulse buy. Model ZZ something. Loaded with all the off road shit that I'll never use and will fail. The underside is all coated with some black stuff. What is that, and is it any good? Jack.
Chevy dips their frames in wax, it is called Daubert NOX Rust

oil treatment or fluid film.
Anything you put on that coats and dries (over non-bare metal) will blister and peel over time.
Best bet is to keep it lubed.

my recipie is 50% atf, 50% pb-blaster in a sprayer.
ATF and PB are safe on rubber reals. PB penetrates and spreads, ATF sticks.
Every couple years, hot water pressure wash/reapply but, not really necessary.

POR = Peels Off Readily.
I used their cleaner, metal etcher and all the crap. 4 years later, I could peel it off in sheets.
@$100 a gallon, you're better off brushing on Crisco.

I lucked out on my 06 Tacoma... previous owner got the frame replaced under warranty and my mechanic recently commented how good its holding up.

I lucked out on my 06 Tacoma... previous owner got the frame replaced under warranty and my mechanic recently commented how good its holding up.
Just be sure they keep a close eye on it and check the inside for flaking or buildup. We have seen Tacomas that have had the frame replaced, and then replaced again and then needed frame repair on that frame.

There's a Fluid Film copycat now called Woolwax. Woolwax claims their product is more resistant to wash-off.

Welcome to Woolwaxusa - WoolWax Lanolin Auto Undercoating

Lanolin based products like Fluid Film and Woolwax require no prep, you can apply them right over rust as they creep and seal out the oxygen needed for further corrosion.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qK2g3gjqTY

That’s why I posted. I’ll never use anything else unless somebody proves me wrong. Ive had NH done many times but WW is very different so I’ve seen the side by side difference.

I’m not sure ‘copycat’ is all that correct. I used FF many times on my boat. It is also a great product.

Hahaha—former employer bought a brand-new cabover with dump bed. Had the frame sprayed with that NH oil stuff. First official act for the brand-new truck was a trip to the Bourne landfill on a rainy day. Not the paved, sissy citizen part; the unpaved SeaMass mud bog commercial landfill part, complete with lurking buzzards.

My coworker used a power washer on EVERYthing, including the frame of the muddy, brand-new truck with NH oil-sprayed frame protection. Hahahaha!

Back
Top Bottom