• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Army testing electric powered vehicles.

HARRYM

NES Member
JFC........the stupid just won't stop. War is killing, brutal, but we must do it in a way that's good for the environment so we just kill people but be careful to to harm the ozone layer or increase the carbon footprint.
So in the middle of the battle will the soldiers have access to charging stations to plug in?

Whoever is making these kinds of INSANE decisions is a special kind of MORON.

Yes I am glad we only issue our troops diesel powered radios. Batteries are for morons.

I heard they are issuing electric LASERS and OPTICS now too. The M1 Garand was good enough for Grandpappy to kill Nazi's, it will be good enough for our troops to kill baddies too.

Ev's are much faster and have more storage space than convetional vehicles

Theres advantages and disadvantages to every system. I think they'd be remiss not to be testing them to continue giving our troops an advantage.

But hey we can all just get mad too right?

Boomers hate technology. Makes them feel old.

It's not hte worst idea. I know the average age of your typical NES'er is around 103, but the days of Patton rolling tanks across western Europe for two years is long over. I could think of several instances where an electric vehicle would be advantageous. This isn't your great grandfather's battlefield anymore.

Hybrid diesel electric vehicles might make sense for fuel savings and reduced thermal signature if the fuel to battery weight ratio works out. Similar to how warships are all electric with fuel oil generators providing the electricity. All electric completely dependent on batteries is just plain weapons grade stupid.

It’s worth looking at as it has some advantages. They’ll spend/waste a crazy amount of money researching it…

I knew it was a matter of time until the government started considering electric vehicles for their own purpose. You still don't see potatohead's crew using any electric. Air force one? That Cadillac limo that Hussein made. All of it is fossil fuel.
I can imagine the chinese army implementing an EMP and wiping out all electronics. Well, that's the end of that war!

Alot of advancement in many technology happens in the military. This may be a good thing in the long term.
EV experimentation MIGHT make some sense for in-garrison use, and maybe some very limited tactical scenarios (ex. SOF, recce), but not for wide-spread battlefield use anytime soon.

Anyone seen or heard of an RFI or RFP for tactically-deployable hydro-generators, nano-nuclear generators, windmills or solar arrays? Until these things happen, battlefield EVs refueled from ICE generators is about as stupid a system as one can envision.

It's not hte worst idea. I know the average age of your typical NES'er is around 103, but the days of Patton rolling tanks across western Europe for two years is long over. I could think of several instances where an electric vehicle would be advantageous. This isn't your great grandfather's battlefield anymore.

Yup.

Just to start off with the parts are more easily produced- no combustion engine, no transmission.
Lower heat output, no exhaust from the engine, instant application of power from the engine.

This is the future, electric engines are easier to build, cheaper to replace, and less prone to maintenance issues. Lets not pretend range is an issue, an Abrams tank gets about .6g to the mile and has a range of about 275 miles, the tesla semi truck is boasting 500 miles fully loaded. For reference, the Abrams is 110,000lbs, the Tesla fully loaded 82,000.

I'm not sure we're going to see battle tanks fully electric, but I can absolutely see other vehicles like humvees, artillery, fuel tankers, water tankers, etc.

When you and the boys wanna make a quick detour for a foam latte at the bucks but still need to keep your environmentalist street cred and your operator beard?

Yup.

Just to start off with the parts are more easily produced- no combustion engine, no transmission.
Lower heat output, no exhaust from the engine, instant application of power from the engine.

This is the future, electric engines are easier to build, cheaper to replace, and less prone to maintenance issues. Lets not pretend range is an issue, an Abrams tank gets about .6g to the mile and has a range of about 275 miles, the tesla semi truck is boasting 500 miles fully loaded. For reference, the Abrams is 110,000lbs, the Tesla fully loaded 82,000.

I'm not sure we're going to see battle tanks fully electric, but I can absolutely see other vehicles like humvees, artillery, fuel tankers, water tankers, etc.
I'm probably not down to get into an e tank

But yea i like your point on other components

For specific applications EV makes a lot of sense because of the size, IR signature and noise advantages.
For general use military use of EVs is stupid - equipment is all about utility, availability and supportability. You can pick up 5 gallons of go juice pretty much anywhere but you cant hump 20kWhs in a bucket...

I knew it was a matter of time until the government started considering electric vehicles for their own purpose. You still don't see potatohead's crew using any electric. Air force one? That Cadillac limo that Hussein made. All of it is fossil fuel.
I can imagine the chinese army implementing an EMP and wiping out all electronics. Well, that's the end of that war!

Yeah. Your modern Caddy will do just great in that same EMP attack. LOL. I'm betting your 747 is also F'd. I would bet the majority of wheeled military vehicles would not survive EMP currently. (no pun intended)

I'm probably not down to get into an e tank

But yea i like your point on other components

Not sure why "army exploring electric vehicles" and the accelerator-pedal that is NES goes to "electric tanks? Talk about stupid" in 3.2 seconds and well before the quarter-mile. LOL

JFC........the stupid just won't stop. War is killing, brutal, but we must do it in a way that's good for the environment so we just kill people but be careful to to harm the ozone layer or increase the carbon footprint.
So in the middle of the battle will the soldiers have access to charging stations to plug in?

Whoever is making these kinds of INSANE decisions is a special kind of MORON.

This is what was said by some earlier genius as well, when they went from horses to motorized.

Yawn.

Back
Top Bottom