Army testing electric powered vehicles.

Yeah. Your modern Caddy will do just great in that same EMP attack. LOL. I'm betting your 747 is also F'd. I would bet the majority of wheeled military vehicles would not survive EMP currently. (no pun intended)

Not sure why "army exploring electric vehicles" and the accelerator-pedal that is NES goes to "electric tanks? Talk about stupid" in 3.2 seconds and well before the quarter-mile. LOL
Lmao me either... but seeing a telsa explode after hitting a speed bump does not make me want to sit in something designed to be shot at

Tanks and trucks need to be refueled too. I can see an EV used in a rapid assault. The horsepower would come in handy. But when the battery runs low, the battle better be over already.

This is a case where it's potentially a good fit for a very specific use case.

EV vehicles as a general replacement for conventional equipment in military applications is beyond idiotic.

For specific applications EV makes a lot of sense because of the size, IR signature and noise advantages.
For general use military use of EVs is stupid - equipment is all about utility, availability and supportability. You can pick up 5 gallons of go juice pretty much anywhere but you cant hump 20kWhs in a bucket...
Correct, electric bikes for scouting are already being used by hunters. Until the EV vehicles are able to be charged quickly they're useless for extended use and we don't have the electric grid to support charging them for civilian use never mind on the battlefield. I read an article on the new F150 Lightning when a driver attempted to take it on a trip, he spent most of his time looking for charging stations.

It's not hte worst idea. I know the average age of your typical NES'er is around 103, but the days of Patton rolling tanks across western Europe for two years is long over. I could think of several instances where an electric vehicle would be advantageous. This isn't your great grandfather's battlefield anymore.
Wasn't one of Patton's biggest complaints that he couldn't get the fuel supply to keep up with him?

I can see a lot of applications for EVs in the military. Plus they have the money to waste on stupid until it works, then we all benefit.

I love the pants shitting on NES from an article about the military looking at an electric truck. Not everything in the military is a tank or a jet fighter. For every 1 dude you've got kicking ass and taking names, you've got 10 sitting around with their thumb up their ass in a warehouse or hangar.

Correct, electric bikes for scouting are already being used by hunters. Until the EV vehicles are able to be charged quickly they're useless for extended use and we don't have the electric grid to support charging them for civilian use never mind on the battlefield. I read an article on the new F150 Lightning when a driver attempted to take it on a trip, he spent most of his time looking for charging stations.
it is f#cked up here - but in most of europe the civilian EV charging stations are everywhere. it is not an issue at all.

but i also do not get it how the vision is to maintain it all at possible wartime - as the ukraine sample shows right now how it is done when most/all of the grid is bombed out, and most of kiev right now has running electricity 2hrs a day only, for people only to charge the phones. i just do not think the woke new age designers of modern warfare even presume that whole electrical grid can be simply taken out.

For specific applications EV makes a lot of sense because of the size, IR signature and noise advantages.
For general use military use of EVs is stupid - equipment is all about utility, availability and supportability. You can pick up 5 gallons of go juice pretty much anywhere but you cant hump 20kWhs in a bucket...
I think we wound up saying more or less the same thing, but to address the fuel/recharge...

In a military applications, EV equipment wouldn't make any sense in a prolonged fight. They might have some real advantages in a fast assault.

In the same way they bring in fuel bowsers to refuel, the fuel trucks would bring in battery packs that can quickly swapped (seconds).

Final thought.

Trebuchet.

Build a trebuchet into these vehicles. If the battery pack does catch damage that makes them burn up, catapult the burning lithium into the enemy camp. They'll piss their pants 😆

Completely agree with the F-150 guy's experience except for the pain he puts himself through using the Ford navigation system to find chargers.
OEM map data for chargers in a word - monkey pox. Much better options out there that are continuously updated with new stations, charger use status and non-working chargers.

JFC........the stupid just won't stop. War is killing, brutal, but we must do it in a way that's good for the environment so we just kill people but be careful to to harm the ozone layer or increase the carbon footprint.
So in the middle of the battle will the soldiers have access to charging stations to plug in?

Whoever is making these kinds of INSANE decisions is a special kind of MORON.

This country leaves behind countless billions in military equipment all the time. They use a vehicle and then leave it. Our military has the spend like a drunken sailor bit down to a science.

Meanwhile in the real world:

ACE's layout options enable the engine to be configured in 3-cylinder, 4-cylinder, and 6-cylinder arrangements to deliver power ranging from 750 to 1,500 hp. “ACE can be integrated into hybrid architectures enabling commonality, thereby eliminating the expensive logistical burden of having multiple combat powertrains and facilitating the incorporation of new electrified technologies,” Cummins added.

JFC........the stupid just won't stop. War is killing, brutal, but we must do it in a way that's good for the environment so we just kill people but be careful to to harm the ozone layer or increase the carbon footprint.
So in the middle of the battle will the soldiers have access to charging stations to plug in?

Whoever is making these kinds of INSANE decisions is a special kind of MORON.
What is your experience with armored vehicles?

The Army has tested everything from hybrid vehicles (like diesel-electric locomotives), to the CUCV, to the Ripsaw, to banded tracks for M113’s to the Gama Goat, M520 Goer, robots that will recover wounded soldiers on litters, and self-driving cargo trucks.

There is one thing Infantry Commanders, especially Light Infantry Commanders, do not want to do: maintain vehicles. And it is not possible to hate a vehicle more than the Gama Goat.

71421912-2B9C-4247-B5CF-B47E4CA327AA.jpeg
86A97AF1-4197-49E3-B59B-E1CF90CF1E89.jpeg
AEF34235-2C9C-4C6B-9409-C250F77BB203.jpeg

Last edited:
An EV can be charged by a generator in a pinch. So an EV can use many fuel types, whereas most other vehicles are limited to one.
Is it suitable for all vehicles? Probably not. But if that's how we evaluate whether things are 'good ideas' our military would still be on horseback. There are clear use cases and advantages of EV's over ICE vehicles. If you can't see that you have low IQ.

Innovate or die.

We already have subs on nuclear fuel and battery powered UAV's.

Stop being luddites.

All the benefits of EV’s - max torque at low speed, easy to drive and traction-control all wheels, no fuel consumption when stationary - apply to many military applications.

Personally think hybrids will be a better solution for a decade or more, but it’s worth exploring.

Just need to drag along a micro nuke reactor:

They just need one of these:

Photo-Oct-31-8-41-35-AM.jpg

The Japanese invasion of China Singapore proceeded much faster than the Brits expected due to bicycle use: they had 50,000.

In the mid 1980’s we experimented with mountain bikes and dirt bikes for patrolling the East/West German border. The mountain bike fit in the back of an M113. The Army was experimenting with modified dune buggies at the same time.

The Brits air-dropped the Welbike - a folding scooter. But their use was limited because the small wheels sucked. By the time of the Italy and Normandy jumps, they had gliders to carry jeeps.

The Germans produced the Kettenkrad.

2B56DB0A-735B-4ECB-B0BB-A896C2A2DFDF.jpeg

An EV can be charged by a generator in a pinch. So an EV can use many fuel types, whereas most other vehicles are limited to one.
Is it suitable for all vehicles? Probably not. But if that's how we evaluate whether things are 'good ideas' our military would still be on horseback. There are clear use cases and advantages of EV's over ICE vehicles. If you can't see that you have low IQ.

Innovate or die.

We already have subs on nuclear fuel and battery powered UAV's.

Stop being luddites.
The world went to shit when we issued thise new fangled semi-automatic Garands to our boys in WW2. Get off my lawn. :)

The world went to shit when we issued thise new fangled semi-automatic Garands to our boys in WW2. Get off my lawn. :)
The USMC completed a service rifle competition on December 1940 - and picked the M1903 Springfield. They had to tool up an Armory to produce more.

When Army units hit Guadalcanal later in 1942, all the Marines wrote home and said “Why don’t we have Garands?”

Yup.

Just to start off with the parts are more easily produced- no combustion engine, no transmission.
Lower heat output, no exhaust from the engine, instant application of power from the engine.

This is the future, electric engines are easier to build, cheaper to replace, and less prone to maintenance issues. Lets not pretend range is an issue, an Abrams tank gets about .6g to the mile and has a range of about 275 miles, the tesla semi truck is boasting 500 miles fully loaded. For reference, the Abrams is 110,000lbs, the Tesla fully loaded 82,000.

I'm not sure we're going to see battle tanks fully electric, but I can absolutely see other vehicles like humvees, artillery, fuel tankers, water tankers, etc.
Comparing a tracked vehicle made for off road and battle, to a wheeled vehicle made to operate on roads and efficiently move loads and weight from here to there is a classic apples to oranges comparison. Yes, inflated rubber tires, lots of them, on flat paved roads can move weight more efficiently from place to place than a tracked vehicle operating cross country. Thank you Captain Obvious!!!

Wasn't one of Patton's biggest complaints that he couldn't get the fuel supply to keep up with him?

I can see a lot of applications for EVs in the military. Plus they have the money to waste on stupid until it works, then we all benefit.

I love the pants shitting on NES from an article about the military looking at an electric truck. Not everything in the military is a tank or a jet fighter. For every 1 dude you've got kicking ass and taking names, you've got 10 sitting around with their thumb up their ass in a warehouse or hangar.
So Pattin would have been better off relying on the electric grid of the enemy territory he advanced through? Got it.

So Pattin would have been better off relying on the electric grid of the enemy territory he advanced through? Got it.
Strawman
He didn't say the military had to drop ICE vehicles in favor of EVs.
All that was said was there are applications where an EV may have advantages.

Strawman
He didn't say the military had to drop ICE vehicles in favor of EVs.
All that was said was there are applications where an EV may have advantages.
My comment stands. It relates to an example cited that makes no sense whatsoever.

My comment stands. It relates to an example cited that makes no sense whatsoever.
Reread the post - I agree that Pattons fuel supply issues would not have been solved if he had EV powered equipment.
However, if a country has fuel production limitations then every non-combat EV allows that fuel usage to be diverted to combat usage - can't burn coal in a tank but you can use it to charge an EV.

Back
Top Bottom