Vehicle Undercoating

Who wants a power seat in a truck? 1) how many people are driving your truck/how often are you really adjusting the thing? 2) are your hand/legs broken? 3) it's just another circuit/motor to break 4) they're slow as hell.

A/C? Absolutely; it helps keep the glass clear, and it contributes to the kind of comfort can help you be more alert.
Power windows and locks? Sure, you'll use the locks every day, and the windows almost as often. Being able to operate them everywhere in the vehicle from your seat is super handy.
Heated seats/steering wheel? Sure, 1/3 of the year (in certain areas) you might be getting in a cold car, and it can be kind of nice to treat yourself. And electric heaters are stone simple.

Power seats in a (predominantly) single operator vehicle are dumb as hell.
Forget circuit , try intergraded control models for each section that moves!

Agreed, I was shocked at the amout of rust and other shit that came out of my old jeeps boxed sections!

I use the spray tube/wand thingee they sell on Amazon: Amazon.com: Woolwax Spray can Extension Wand by Kellsport: Automotive

Generally you can find a hole every 18 inches or so...stick the wand and spray both directions. This wand works well with Eastmans internal frame coating paint and Fluid film.

When I first got my jeep, I used a length of aircraft cable with the ends frayed attached to a drill to loosen all the crap inside the box sections. I blew out an assload of old undercoat, rust, mouse shit, acorns, etc. I followed up with the green Eastmans frame coating and fluid film. It seemed to hold up pretty well. The only good thing about the boxed sections is that fluid film does not wash off easily.

I've also been told by some old timers that bar and chain oil mixed with kerosine works well on frame rails....personally never tried it.

View attachment 501969
I want tips like that for garden hose adaption, and pump sprayers

Rot and corrosion everywhete
Chevy suburbanView attachment 501982View attachment 5019832015 ford throttle body , this circuit was very temp and humidity sensitive. Finally showed its face during heat wave few weeks ago
View attachment 501986
What year Suburban? Again, no one said gm and Fords don't rot. I just don't want the Tacoma owners to run around with their delusions of grandeur while the mothership is frantically replacing frames and other parts. Claiming it to be some sort of great truck. It's a pile that Toyota knows will be a huge problem if they ignore it. GM & Ford do not have that problem, hence why they can ignore the average NE car owner, because it's a much smaller problem.

Comparing frame patches on various models, manufacturers and years to almost 100% of all Tacomas needing it's frame replaced for the last 20 years, and now with the 2nd frames rotting out, is incredibly comical. Bias can be a mofo.

What year Suburban? Again, no one said gm and Fords don't rot. I just don't want the Tacoma owners to run around with their delusions of grandeur while the mothership is frantically replacing frames and other parts. Claiming it to be some sort of great truck. It's a pile that Toyota knows will be a huge problem if they ignore it. GM & Ford do not have that problem, hence why they can ignore the average NE car owner, because it's a much smaller problem.

Comparing frame patches on various models, manufacturers and years to almost 100% of all Tacomas needing it's frame replaced for the last 20 years, and now with the 2nd frames rotting out, is incredibly comical. Bias can be a mofo.
Weird I lost my ranger to frame rot, talked to the Junk yard and he went down south to get ranger frames on a regular basis, went and looked at mid 2000 to 2010 chevys and they all had rotted frames at the tubes and rockers were all gone. In New England they all rot, at least Toyota is doing something even if it was court ordered

Where did you find the data that it's almost 100% for the last 20 years? I know two people with mid 2000s Era tacomas that don't have rotted frames. I don't think the total frame replacement is anywhere near 100%. Granted....It's enough that Toyota lost a law suit......but 100%....f*** no it's not. And bias? Yeah I have bias toward tacomas. I know plenty of people with gen 2 tacos with 200k on em and not one single repair. My 2015 has 120k and not a single repair and it runs like it did they day I bought it. Ffs my uncle had a 1999 Chevy that needed a transmission at 70k. Then he bought a 2010 Chevy that needed a transmission at 105k and was in the shop for computer crap 2 to 3 times a year. The American big three are not all sunshine and roses.

Last edited:
Dumb Question:

After Fluid Film or the others, can go though a carwash with under carriage spray? I have a habit of going to the carwash with carriage underspray 2x per month during winter. Would that just wash it all of?

Dumb Question:

After Fluid Film or the others, can go though a carwash with under carriage spray? I have a habit of going to the carwash with carriage underspray 2x per month during winter. Would that just wash it all of?
I haven't hand washed my 2018 2500 more than 6 times and I keep a mostly shiny truck except when in Maine cause we run the dirt roads a lot.

After the Woolwax treatment I asked them to shut off the under carriage wash for about 3-4 weeks while that stuff was working it's way into all the seams. NH Oil and Fluid Film will wash off over time. 8FAE68F8-5C30-426C-A46F-D657BF689D9B.jpeg
image.jpg
This was just taken a minute ago. That’s not just dirt. That’s dirt impregnated Woolwax in the drivers side rear wheel well. The frame is slicker that wet horse shit on pavement. image.jpg
These two are the bed where the road dust has built up in the oil at tailgate area.
Maine uses nothing but calcium chloride as its typically too cold for salt. The roads in my town are all dirt except Lily Bay Rd and they use calcium chloride in the summer for dust control 3-4 times per summer so I never get a real break from the shit year round.

Last edited:
I haven't hand washed my 2018 2500 more than 6 times and I keep a mostly shiny truck except when in Maine cause we run the dirt roads a lot.

After the Woolwax treatment I asked them to shut off the under carriage wash for about 3-4 weeks while that stuff was working it's way into all the seams. NH Oil and Fluid Film will wash off over time.View attachment 502046
View attachment 502051
This was just taken a minute ago. That’s not just dirt. That’s dirt impregnated Woolwax in the drivers side rear wheel well. The frame is slicker that wet horse shit on pavement. View attachment 502050
These two are the bed where the road dust has built up in the oil at tailgate area.
Maine uses nothing but calcium chloride as its typically too cold for salt. The roads in my town are all dirt except Lily Bay Rd and they use calcium chloride in the summer for dust control 3-4 times per summer so I never get a real break from the shit year round.
My brother worked for the DOT in NH for 22 years, retiring 2 years ago, working on bridges. He said the salt/sodium solutions they have been putting on the roads during the last 10 or so winters is seriously deteriorating the bridges, so much so that NH will probably have to replace almost every bridge in the next 15-20 years, even relatively new ones...it is crazy caustic and it is destroying cars left and right. He told me what it was but the name escapes me now. It's nasty stuff.

you will be fine, just reapply each spring
That's what I was doing with NHOil but I never kept the trucks long enough for it to matter to me.

The guy that did my 2018 told me straight out I'll never need to do it again. Wheel well liners (4) plus the spare was dropped and the tail lights removed removed. Wife's RDX only had the rear liners removed as the front end was a nightmare I was told. I trust the shop. I've known him for years and he's a huge gun freak. He formally used Fluid Film.

My brother worked for the DOT in NH for 22 years, retiring 2 years ago, working on bridges. He said the salt/sodium solutions they have been putting on the roads during the last 10 or so winters is seriously deteriorating the bridges, so much so that NH will probably have to replace almost every bridge in the next 15-20 years, even relatively new ones...it is crazy caustic and it is destroying cars left and right. He told me what it was but the name escapes me now. It's nasty stuff.
People demand clear roads while tooling around in their $100K SUV's. Give me 4 studded snows and GTF out of my way!!

As already mentioned, yep you'll be fine. Woolwax isn't coming off in a carwash. I wouldn't wash it for a couple of weeks after you spray it so it has time to work into things.

Agree, IIRC suburban is a 2006?
As a mechanic for 30 years even more if tou include my teenage years. They are all POS.
Right now most of the ford trucks we work on 6+ years old are loosing the bed rails and wheel well area rotted out.
The rangers from 1998-late 2000s, plenty of rear frame section replacements.
For many years the running joke has been toyota repairs pay for lunch and chevy makes payroll

After the Woolwax treatment I asked them to shut off the under carriage wash for about 3-4 weeks while that stuff was working it's way into all the seams. NH Oil and Fluid Film will wash off over time.View attachment 502046
View attachment 502051
This was just taken a minute ago. That’s not just dirt. That’s dirt impregnated Woolwax in the drivers side rear wheel well. The frame is slicker that wet horse shit on pavement. View attachment 502050
Buddy lives in north west NY same thing dirt roads and a “salt brine” all year on the dirt roads. What ever it is he has rot on everything!

Buddy lives in north west NY same thing dirt roads and a “salt brine” all year on the dirt roads. What ever it is he has rot on everything!
This is my absolute last brand new truck for me. My miles will drop substantially once I move north.
Only time will tell if I made the right choice in a few more years on Woolwax but from what I’m seeing on the roads I think I’m good.
I’ve never loved any of my trucks so I had a sub $1k expense to do this but closing fast on 90k miles on an 100% factory drivetrain. I think it’s worth the gamble. God knows I’ve traded some great running and looking trucks over the years.

Will be doing some jeep and chevy rust band aid repair over the next few days
Leave it to doorman to make some pretty cheap bandaids. This thing is thin and just sits on top of what ever is left of the mount.
Have to do some reinforcing on the front edge.

Attachments

• 3FB970DC-C98E-4BB3-B7FB-582C2B087B2A.jpeg
    3FB970DC-C98E-4BB3-B7FB-582C2B087B2A.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 20
  • ECEC0FC8-ABE9-4210-A3D0-6E944AD1FBC2.jpeg
    ECEC0FC8-ABE9-4210-A3D0-6E944AD1FBC2.jpeg
    665.7 KB · Views: 20
  • D8253C0A-7572-4D15-8D32-E5BDCE473E96.jpeg
    D8253C0A-7572-4D15-8D32-E5BDCE473E96.jpeg
    610.6 KB · Views: 20
  • AE41DCF5-8CB1-454B-B967-7B968CD59737.jpeg
    AE41DCF5-8CB1-454B-B967-7B968CD59737.jpeg
    588.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
This is my absolute last brand new truck for me. My miles will drop substantially once I move north.
Only time will tell if I made the right choice in a few more years on Woolwax but from what I’m seeing on the roads I think I’m good.
I’ve never loved any of my trucks so I had a sub $1k expense to do this but closing fast on 90k miles on an 100% factory drivetrain. I think it’s worth the gamble. God knows I’ve traded some great running and looking trucks over the years.
Never could afford new , not looking like I ever will.

The tacoma issue is the boxed frame. It rots from the inside out. You can apply rust prevention stuff at home once a week and it won't do any good.

When the dealerships do the work they do the inside and outside.
Even at home or with an independent shop, you can apply both inside and out.

My Fluid Film guy uses extended nozzles to get into every hole, crook, and crevice.

That's because Taco lovers keep buying them.

Yep. True fanboys and they keep buying them. I don't really blame them though. They are decent vehicles.

I really liked my 08 Tacoma, but it was going to start costing me money. Traded it in on my fourth Dodge back in April. I test drove a 21 Tacoma and wasn't impressed. I may go back to Toyota, but not on this current gen of "trucks".

*"trucks" in quotes as I really missed a real truck whenever I had to move.

I never liked tacoma’s , always feels like im sitting to low and flat. Like a old go cart.
Newest one I have been in is a 2018, extra cab and nothing really grabbed me.

Utilitarian vehicles. Easy to fit in parking lots, easy enough to modify so as to do truck stuff(rear springs), tons of aftermarket products, and the previous generation had a decent albeit underpowered engine/trans combo.

When I first went from a Cummins Dodge to the Tacoma it felt like driving a compact car, but I got used to it quickly. Now that I'm back in a full size I have less fun in parking lots--FU Meredith Hannafords [banghead]

Where did you find the data that it's almost 100% for the last 20 years? I know two people with mid 2000s Era tacomas that don't have rotted frames. I don't think the total frame replacement is anywhere near 100%. Granted....It's enough that Toyota lost a law suit......but 100%....f*** no it's not. And bias? Yeah I have bias toward tacomas. I know plenty of people with gen 2 tacos with 200k on em and not one single repair. My 2015 has 120k and not a single repair and it runs like it did they day I bought it. Ffs my uncle had a 1999 Chevy that needed a transmission at 70k. Then he bought a 2010 Chevy that needed a transmission at 105k and was in the shop for computer crap 2 to 3 times a year. The American big three are not all sunshine and roses.
You're right there's no way to know how many. Let's say the overwhelming majority of them. I got anecdotes for days too.

Simple math says the Big 3 trucks should have more problems, they produce 10x the trucks Toyota does. When you're battling for last place, like Toyota, you will have less trucks out there, which equals less problems, and also equals less Toyotas appearing in local mechanics shops. Go dig through the last Tacoma circle jerk threads where guys were posting how when their frame was swapped the dealership replaced x, y and z parts all for free! This will affect the Tacoma's "reliability" as the mechanics say things like "Toyota's buy lunch and GM pays the payroll." This is why it is all anecdotal, the mechanic in Newton doesn't see any Chevys or Toyotas, they are all Audi's, BMW's(lots of BMW's) and Lexus. The mechanic in Brockton is making payroll on Accords, Civics and broke down Cadillac's, the mechanic in the country is fixing pick-up trucks.

People gloss over this one so I'll type it again: No one said their truck is perfect, well except the Tacoma, Tundra, Sequioa and 4Runner owners who are swapping their frames out.

You're right there's no way to know how many. Let's say the overwhelming majority of them. I got anecdotes for days too.

Simple math says the Big 3 trucks should have more problems, they produce 10x the trucks Toyota does. When you're battling for last place, like Toyota, you will have less trucks out there, which equals less problems, and also equals less Toyotas appearing in local mechanics shops. Go dig through the last Tacoma circle jerk threads where guys were posting how when their frame was swapped the dealership replaced x, y and z parts all for free! This will affect the Tacoma's "reliability" as the mechanics say things like "Toyota's buy lunch and GM pays the payroll." This is why it is all anecdotal, the mechanic in Newton doesn't see any Chevys or Toyotas, they are all Audi's, BMW's(lots of BMW's) and Lexus. The mechanic in Brockton is making payroll on Accords, Civics and broke down Cadillac's, the mechanic in the country is fixing pick-up trucks.

People gloss over this one so I'll type it again: No one said their truck is perfect, well except the Tacoma, Tundra, Sequioa and 4Runner owners who are swapping their frames out.
I can only go by my experience. My 2015 tacoma saw a mechanic for "other than oil brakes and tires" one time in 120k miles and it was a radiator shroud that cracked cost me $400. To me that's decent. All 7 Subaru my family has owned since 1997 have never seen a mechanic for any repairs period (just oil brakes and tires....and I get 130k plus out if every one of them. Now.....if my frame on the 2015 taco needs replacing in a few years maybe I'll change my tune....but I did just buy a 2021 based on my experience with the 2015 (my son drives it now). My 2015 taco did pull a friend's half ton Chevy half a mile down a tank trail at fort devens the first day of deer season a couple years ago.....14 inches of fresh snow and his 4x4 decided to shit the bed and he couldn't get out. His chevy was 7 years old with 80k on it. 😂😂😂

Utilitarian vehicles. Easy to fit in parking lots, easy enough to modify so as to do truck stuff(rear springs), tons of aftermarket products, and the previous generation had a decent albeit underpowered engine/trans combo.

When I first went from a Cummins Dodge to the Tacoma it felt like driving a compact car, but I got used to it quickly. Now that I'm back in a full size I have less fun in parking lots--FU Meredith Hannafords [banghead]
I dont go anywhere

Back
Top Bottom