• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vehicle Undercoating

The only thing I'll add is that the first couple of times you apply the brakes, you need to be aware and leave more stopping distance before the overspray burns off the discs and pads.
A little brake grease...
SG-4.png

...never hurt anybody.
Ukrainian Fire Department Story

One dark night outside a small town in Manitoba, a fire started
inside the local sausage plant and in a blink it exploded into massive
flames.

The alarm went out to all the fire departments from miles around.

When the volunteer fire fighters appeared on the scene, the sausage
company president rushed to the fire chief and said, "All of our secret
formulas are in the vault in the center of the plant.
They must be saved and I will give $50,000 to the fire department
that brings them out intact."

But the roaring flames held the firefighters off.

Soon more fire departments had to be called in as the situation
became desperate.

As the firemen arrived, the president shouted out that the offer was
now $100,000 to the fire department who could bring out the company's
secret files.

From the distance, a lone siren was heard as another fire truck came
into sight.

It was the nearby Ethelbert rural township volunteer fire department
composed mainly of Ukrainians over the age of 65.

To everyone's amazement, the little run-down fire engine, operated by
these Ukrainians, passed all the newer sleek engines parked outside the
plant... and drove straight into the middle of the inferno.

Outside the other firemen watched as the Ukrainian old timers jumped
off and began to fight the fire with a performance and effort never seen
before.

Within a short time, the Ethelbert old timers had extinguished the
fire and saved the secret formulas.

The grateful sausage company president joyfully announced that for such a
superhuman feat he was upping the reward to $200,000, and walked over to
personally thank each of the brave, though elderly, Ukrainian firefighters.

The local TV news reporters rushed in after capturing the event on
film asking, "What are you going to do with all that money?"

"Vell," said Nick Sputski, the 70-year-old fire chief, "da furst
thing ve gonna do is fix da brakes on dat focking truck."

So where am I taking my new to me 2017 suburban to get undercoated? I’m in the seacoast but can travel reasonably.
Better get moving before the salt air freezes it in place.

This is why you need to pull light assemblies, wheel wells , door pannels, tires , spare tire , those rubber plugs and really get in there. Flush out everything with clean water
If your not going to do this might as well lay on your back and shoot what you can see with a DIY kit and save some money
Its the ROT you cant see that ruins cars

This bed is nice by New England Standards but behind the light assemblies is a mess and the rot is splitting the seems.

Attachments

• 5B6C2390-3BD1-4B81-B028-1646795DE97E.jpeg
    5B6C2390-3BD1-4B81-B028-1646795DE97E.jpeg
    703.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 5207F288-7E46-4B0E-A620-74D516668473.jpeg
    5207F288-7E46-4B0E-A620-74D516668473.jpeg
    648.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 96932B7A-9310-4A85-8E58-BA27F62BCC30.jpeg
    96932B7A-9310-4A85-8E58-BA27F62BCC30.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 43
  • A831C33A-1AB1-4CEE-90B5-D9BBEF44CA18.jpeg
    A831C33A-1AB1-4CEE-90B5-D9BBEF44CA18.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 33985730-7BE9-4CD5-A20D-7869F31C1D22.jpeg
    33985730-7BE9-4CD5-A20D-7869F31C1D22.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 43
3 Cans of Fluid Film under the new Truck this morning before I went out, got our first snow, I was behind the 8-ball.
I guess the pro fluid film in the paint cans is a different consistency, but I've been home-jobbing the wifes Traverse with a spray can each fall since 2013, and its
like brand new under there, not a spot of rust. Too bad the thing is a piece of crap otherwise.

3 Cans of Fluid Film under the new Truck this morning before I went out, got our first snow, I was behind the 8-ball.
I guess the pro fluid film in the paint cans is a different consistency, but I've been home-jobbing the wifes Traverse with a spray can each fall since 2013, and its
like brand new under there, not a spot of rust. Too bad the thing is a piece of crap otherwise.
hey you just wont have that luxury of the pos rotting out 1st vs sinking much more $$$ into it!
I have been trying to do my truck all fall, just never found the time.
They salted this morning here. I think they are getting paid by the pound spread. I could not tell the snow from the Salt on the roads.

They would never do it but what goes through my head is for the cost of all this aggravation it would pay for a frame upgrade to say a 304 or one of the cheaper grades like that (really any stainless isn't actually gonna rot in this application), or a galvanized frame treatment at the factory etc etc

Is really a shame that you can buy a diesel 1 ton that easily runs for 500k (hell the gas engines now days go 400k) yet the frames rot out from under them. And some of these trucks are selling for close to 6 figures. Seems like an extra $1000 to upgrade the most critical steel parts would sure be justified.

They would never do it but what goes through my head is for the cost of all this aggravation it would pay for a frame upgrade to say a 304 or one of the cheaper grades like that (really any stainless isn't actually gonna rot in this application), or a galvanized frame treatment at the factory etc etc

Is really a shame that you can buy a diesel 1 ton that easily runs for 500k (hell the gas engines now days go 400k) yet the frames rot out from under them. And some of these trucks are selling for close to 6 figures. Seems like an extra $1000 to upgrade the most critical steel parts would sure be justified.
That would be all fine and dandy but they need to sell X amount of cars a year.
If anyone thinks 10 plus year life is what manufactures want are crazy.
Stainless has its own issues. Especially when you introduce other metals around it.
When “stainless” exhaust fails its almost alway at the weld.
Also remember tour not paying high 5 figures for the “truck” your paying to have it put together.

I have a theory the stuff they are using on the roads these days compared to years ago just rots the heck out of vehicles even faster than ever before.
It isn't a theory, The chemicals are more corrosive. They are using Calcium Chloride and Potassium Chloride depending on the temperature. They are also using it as a solution added to the salt/ sand application.

Well, I know NH Oil is all the rage, and I even have a buddy that quit his day job to go full time spraying NH Oil, I still really like the Fluid film.

If you are keeping your truck long term, Undercoating with something, anything is imperative.

Stainless has its own issues. Especially when you introduce other metals around it.
Also remember tour not paying high 5 figures for the “truck” your paying to have it put together.

I'll tell you what though, my '06 Canyon literally never had a wash and lived parked primarily on grass. Frame has about had it, my friends will carefully put it up on a lift but I doubt another shop would. The stainless exhaust from the factory is tip top as far as I've noticed.

On the boats I've been on with stainless pipework (usually is 316 though, which is actually weaker than automotive sorts like 304) my experience is stainless does not fail on welds - it breaks elsewhere if it's going to. Aluminum is what breaks on welds. My guess is your experience with stainless welds breaking is due to poor choice of welding materials at a shop - the wire is more $$ and if they typically weld ferrous metal they probably aren't changing over.

Well, I know NH Oil is all the rage, and I even have a buddy that quit his day job to go full time spraying NH Oil, I still really like the Fluid film.

If you are keeping your truck long term, Undercoating with something, anything is imperative.
If done right
1. Get all the salt off , especially in the nooks and crannies.
2. Stop the current rust/rot
3. Apply the “coating” in the nooks and crannies

I have a theory the stuff they are using on the roads these days compared to years ago just rots the heck out of vehicles even faster than ever before.
It does...my brother retired a few years ago from the State of NH DOT highway department. His last gig with them was working on bridge crews. This concoction they use now will decrease the lifespan of the steel used in bridges by at least a third, if not by half. That, coupled with the shitty Chinese steel they are using, will leave NH bridges in an alarming state of decay in not many decades.

And paying for the lobbyists, the union reps, the outsourcing of US jobs to Mexico, and the protection payoffs to keep BLM away

It does...my brother retired a few years ago from the State of NH DOT highway department. His last gig with them was working on bridge crews. This concoction they use now will decrease the lifespan of the steel used in bridges by at least a third, if not by half. That, coupled with the shitty Chinese steel they are using, will leave NH bridges in an alarming state of decay in not many decades.
Otherwise, people would have to use winter tires. We can‘t have that!

This is an old report (1988) but according to this MA and NH apply up to 300 lbs per lane per mile.

Anybody have any experience withe the NHOU Boss Wax product? New truck on order and want to have it done when it arrives. I have had the regular NHOU done on past 2 trucks but makes a mess if you have to get under and work on anything as it doesn’t dry.

Anybody have any experience withe the NHOU Boss Wax product? New truck on order and want to have it done when it arrives. I have had the regular NHOU done on past 2 trucks but makes a mess if you have to get under and work on anything as it doesn’t dry.
I just hope where ever you go does a good job.
Was under a recent “oil undercoat” job.
Basically they missed all the high rot areas and did not do inside the frame rails
Did not even drop the spare.
Did not even get the crud collecting in the spring saddles….

And paying for the lobbyists, the union reps, the outsourcing of US jobs to Mexico, and the protection payoffs to keep BLM away

Points well taken, but for unions Barry would not have gotten this third term however was not the first -major- union to endorse Biden a public sector one, the IAFF ?

Basically they missed all the high rot areas and did not do inside the frame rails
If they are banging this out in an hour or so it’s not complete.

it still makes a mess, it just last longer between applications, I have it on my 2019 you're welcome come take a look, have had two applications so far

When I had mine done at the ori location near Concord NH I had to leave it for the day, spare tire dropped inside of frame rails etc... When I brought it back for reapply I was told it would take about 90 mi, 3 hours later they were done. not sure what other locations are like but the initial application it was thick.

When I had mine done at the ori location near Concord NH I had to leave it for the day, spare tire dropped inside of frame rails etc... When I brought it back for reapply I was told it would take about 90 mi, 3 hours later they were done. not sure what other locations are like but the initial application it was thick.
They all do a decent job on the under side where you can see.
If I get the truck at the shop back up on the lift I will take pictures of all the missed spots , which I think are key
Like back side of wheel well lips, interior of cab corners, inside of door pannels, inside rocker pannels, bed rails and such
Basically where all the rot hides and does not show its face until its to late.
I figure its going to take me at lest 3 hours just to prep my truck before I treat it for existing rust and then the “film”

I know the dropped the spare, masked off the brake rotors, did inside the panels as I had replace the plugs they forgot to put back in, when I picked it up they had it on the rack where they explained all that they did and they did say it takes 3-4 hours just in prep then it was a few hours applying, and I know they did the back side of my spare where stuff collects

Last edited:

i did woolwax underneath on the exposed components, and NH Oil on the hidden pockets that got fogged.

done at A C Auto in wakefield

Guess I’ll chime in here after reading 7 pages on Toyota bs.

We use Fluid Film in my shop, it’s a quality product that should be applied annually, wool wax is very similar. We prefer this over the NH as it does not hide problems. The issues with saw with Nh oil undercoat is it makes a complete mess of the undercarriage, often times hiding areas that were of safety concern, it does a good job of making everything black and protecting, but it’s an absolute mess to touch when ever you service a vehicle, which is why we settled on fluid film. Like anything prep is important, the cleaner the undercarriage is, the better the product sticks.

In regards to what’s on the roads, simply put, chemicals have evolved and it’s usually no longer salt and sand and most areas, calcium chloride is a popular product for municipalities, and in short it eats metal.

Something is better than nothing these days, kudos to Toyota for actually backing what they sell, not getting into the whole frame debate, the f-Ed up and made good on it, says something for the brand.

In short Fluid Film rocks

Back
Top Bottom