• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vehicle Undercoating

Finding help to actually do this shit work must be awful. Im gearing up to do my 10 year old Tundra . My truck will be tied up for more days than I care for. Plus Im just not looking forward to it.
Also I know I most likely wont be happy with the out come if someone else does it
I get it.
With new trucks getting into 60k in the blink of an eye WTF are you going to do.

I just came back from some of the slickest mud and crap I’ve seen in a long time. If you get that silt into every crevice and seam you’ll soon be f***ed.
I’m not buying a new truck. This one has 99.9% of 113k under my feet. I’m keeping it till either it or me stops.

86k was an email I got yesterday for a 2023 2500HD. You can shove that really deep.

I'm looking into this too. I've been looking all around. Starting to look pricey. Usually 4 cans or so of fluid film on 2 cars have been all I needed, but we just obtained another car and a 1 ton dump..(my main focus of the search). im leaning towards a 5 gal bucket and a spray kit and doing the whole family myself. I gotta weigh the dump tho I think it exceeds my lift. I'm not too thrilled about all the stuff that's tinted black too. I feel like it may hide too much.

I get it.
With new trucks getting into 60k in the blink of an eye WTF are you going to do.

I just came back from some of the slickest mud and crap I’ve seen in a long time. If you get that silt into every crevice and seam you’ll soon be f***ed.
I’m not buying a new truck. This one has 99.9% of 113k under my feet. I’m keeping it till either it or me stops.

86k was an email I got yesterday for a 2023 2500HD. You can shove that really deep.
Im giving my 11 year old tundra the best clean out I can pull off. Then smothering the underside with corroseal , then maybe a slathering of Rust oluem enamel. Then I might do all the hidden crevices in the door pannels and such with some sort of fluid film treatment. Its 10 years old and holding up pretty well. I also plan on keeping it another 10 years! heck its only got 130k not even thinking of replacement until at least 200k.
I may or may not do a fluid film type coating over everything after I see how the rust treatment and paint hold up.
Take me a good few days to strip everything down, remove all the plugs, wash , dry coat reassemble. I dont even want to know what that would cost if I had to pay some one.

As for trucks I would take off road often? Heck I would probably just wash the shit out of it regulary and give it a good dose of linseed oil on a regular basis ? Maybe I will try that for the next few years ?

I’m told this product is better than Woolwax in that it creeps better.

I do not have direct experience seeing it.

All should be aware that Waxoyl offers NO warranty/guarantee at all-none/nada/zip and I paid $1600 or so as I recall-Jeep Cherokee.

I believe that a 'two stage' product-a misting into sealed areas/crevices and a harder substance for exposed is key but when all is said and done perhaps the critical thing is the meticulous application of something is far more important than doing nothing especially with the insane vehicle pricing these days ?

Every old vehicle I have seen which has been sprayed correctly with something -appeared- to have been as solid as the day it was made-regardless of product name.

All should be aware that Waxoyl offers NO warranty/guarantee at all-none/nada/zip and I paid $1600 or so as I recall-Jeep Cherokee.

I believe that a 'two stage' product-a misting into sealed areas/crevices and a harder substance for exposed is key but when all is said and done perhaps the critical thing is the meticulous application of something is far more important than doing nothing especially with the insane vehicle pricing these days ?

Every old vehicle I have seen which has been sprayed correctly with something -appeared- to have been as solid as the day it was made-regardless of product name.
JFC 1600 bucks is a lot of money the dealer made for being a middle man but like everything in life. . . It’s all about the details in performing your job or the task at hand.

I get it.

I feel like eventually post chip and labor woes, prices will adjust (likely by going back to standard 15% discounts off MSRP) - still will leave your ass sore but not 80k for a 2500 sort of sore...

Bottom line the pricing is driving people out of the market, some who simply will never afford to buy new again, and the manufacturers will feel that sting and adjust to sell vehicles. Supply, demand, and self preservation all will still apply in 2023 and beyond.

More incredible to me than the price of some trucks is that ANYONE(besides a business owner) is buying-wonder what leasing one of these is like-the residuals have to be sky high which should translate into low payments, anyone know?

I feel like eventually post chip and labor woes, prices will adjust (likely by going back to standard 15% discounts off MSRP) - still will leave your ass sore but not 80k for a 2500 sort of sore...

Bottom line the pricing is driving people out of the market, some who simply will never afford to buy new again, and the manufacturers will feel that sting and adjust to sell vehicles. Supply, demand, and self preservation all will still apply in 2023 and beyond.
I can afford a new one. I just refuse to do so now that I’m retired.
If I was still driving 1400 miles a month just going to Maine two long weekends a month I’m not sure what I’d be doing but it would not be in a car.

Even with the best undercoating, I feel like the most important is power washing the undercarriage weekly during the winter.

Unfortunately, kind of like ceramic coating with detailing, even a good undercoating doesn't make keeping the underside clean completely labor free.

Even with the best undercoating, I feel like the most important is power washing the undercarriage weekly during the winter.

Unfortunately, kind of like ceramic coating with detailing, even a good undercoating doesn't make keeping the underside clean completely labor free.
New Tacoma here.

I've been using the lanolin based stuff, of which there are a few brands. I will still wash and spray the frame out then recoat every year. It does build up a dark gunk on the frame that probably helps repel rust and lubricate the metal. But I think a good wash and recoat every spring/summer will help. I just use cans of the stuff, takes like a dozen.

Basically....this pricing gets the people that really don't use the truck as a truck thinking twice on buying a truck that size, and its a double whammy with the gas prices and diesel full retard prices. There are business people that need that size truck and towing capacity. And there are some people that their lifestyle (large camper, horse trailer, etc) need that truck. But make no mistake.....they are feeling the pinch if they aren't rich.

Many of us can afford a 2500.......but why would I waste all that money? I can do so many other things with that money and drive my 30K Toyota, because I don't need a 2500.

Diesel??? 10K for the engine plus 5.50 a gallon when gas is 3.50 now? Yeah.....no. Diesel Engines might as well cost as much as a Standard engine. I still wouldn't buy it.

Aluminum “rots” , trust me.

There's plenty of aluminum boats/canoes, planes, etc. decades old that says otherwise. Including boats used in salt water and sitting in dirt, etc. in people's yards. Aluminum will last much, much longer than any steel without having to protect it at all.

Last edited:
I can afford a new one. I just refuse to do so now that I’m retired.
If I was still driving 1400 miles a month just going to Maine two long weekends a month I’m not sure what I’d be doing but it would not be in a car.

Sure but my point is eventually ordering a vehicle is going to be as easy as sending the order into GM and in 2 months the vehicle is delivered, versus today where GM may make a dealership wait a month before they even accept say a 4x4-optioned order...

That issue is 75% of the cost increase - the dealerships are supply constrained so are getting list price minus a few measly manufacturers incentives. Yes there are cost increases but at least in what I saw when buying a Colorado the cost increase was like 1k manufacturer (say list price up 2k but 1k of it manufacturer knocks off) and 3.5k dealership controlled.

Once the dealerships aren't choked by supply, they will compete. If the manufacturer sees revenues down due to lack of orders they will re-evaluate policies too.

One thing that drives me bonkers is every next vehicle I buy they cram a few more options in that I'd rather not pay for. Only comes in a crew cab now, backup camera standard, locking tailgate, off road version comes with leather seats, no longer offer steel wheels (but they stick you with junk tires - the important part), automatic 4WD whatever the phuck that is good for, etc etc

I'll say this - not what I wanted, but if one was in the market for say a Traverse (whatever i saw, SUV-ish things), Quirk had about 10 of them lined up. Almost nothing else on the lot. Apparently GM is chocking off the supply of trucks, cars, and concentrating on their AWD soccer mom offerings.

Sure but my point is eventually ordering a vehicle is going to be as easy as sending the order into GM and in 2 months the vehicle is delivered, versus today where GM may make a dealership wait a month before they even accept say a 4x4-optioned order...

That issue is 75% of the cost increase - the dealerships are supply constrained so are getting list price minus a few measly manufacturers incentives. Yes there are cost increases but at least in what I saw when buying a Colorado the cost increase was like 1k manufacturer (say list price up 2k but 1k of it manufacturer knocks off) and 3.5k dealership controlled.

Once the dealerships aren't choked by supply, they will compete. If the manufacturer sees revenues down due to lack of orders they will re-evaluate policies too.

One thing that drives me bonkers is every next vehicle I buy they cram a few more options in that I'd rather not pay for. Only comes in a crew cab now, backup camera standard, locking tailgate, off road version comes with leather seats, no longer offer steel wheels (but they stick you with junk tires - the important part), automatic 4WD whatever the phuck that is good for, etc etc

I'll say this - not what I wanted, but if one was in the market for say a Traverse (whatever i saw, SUV-ish things), Quirk had about 10 of them lined up. Almost nothing else on the lot. Apparently GM is chocking off the supply of trucks, cars, and concentrating on their AWD soccer mom offerings.
GM is seeing the writing on the wall plus having supply line issues like everyone else.
Now offering .09 interest on “selected” models.

GM is seeing the writing on the wall plus having supply line issues like everyone else.
Now offering .09 interest on “selected” models.

What do you mean by writing on the wall? (Sure there's plenty but which scribble we talking here?)..

That's cool but they ought to ditch the financing incentives and stick to cash incentives - I'm more worried about the number I'm paying than my monthly payment and it sure sounds a lot better in an add. They'd probably make more $$ off most folks and vehicles by offering $4000 cash and getting say 5% versus 0% interest.

Basically....this pricing gets the people that really don't use the truck as a truck thinking twice on buying a truck that size, and its a double whammy with the gas prices and diesel full retard prices. There are business people that need that size truck and towing capacity. And there are some people that their lifestyle (large camper, horse trailer, etc) need that truck. But make no mistake.....they are feeling the pinch if they aren't rich.

Many of us can afford a 2500.......but why would I waste all that money? I can do so many other things with that money and drive my 30K Toyota, because I don't need a 2500.

Diesel??? 10K for the engine plus 5.50 a gallon when gas is 3.50 now? Yeah.....no. Diesel Engines might as well cost as much as a Standard engine. I still wouldn't buy it.

I don't think I would opt for a 'new' diesel engine either however the arguments for the older stink wheels-egr but pre def/cat-were and remain overwhelming even considering current diesel fuel prices. The 6k extra it cost us for an '06 6.0 PowerJoke (E450 developing a massive 130 hp or so, depending on which Ford rep I speak with) returns nearly twice the mpg's that a v10 would provide depending on where we are headed. For us to even begin to take a hit with regard to having an oil burner prices would have to go up almost another 3 bucks. Certainly its a bit slower of a ride but isn't that the point of being retired and on the road ?- and at 2200 or so rpms that engine sounds and feels smooth/unstressed like it will run for ever -HEUI still freaks me out-over 160k original injectors helping to motivate roughly 80% of the total rated gvw-impressive to me.

The diesel 'scandal" was VW getting sued for "cheating" on emissions with the TDI-the 3 we had returned a minimum of 57mpg any day/every day.

If anyone is curious as to why the de rate for the 6.0 in the van is so huge compared to the trucks-according to the Ford people its the space available for cooling and bringing in air that determined the safe output.

There's plenty of aluminum boats/canoes, planes, etc. decades old that says otherwise. Including boats used in salt water and sitting in dirt, etc. in people's yards. Aluminum will last much, much longer than any steel without having to protect it at all.
In salt?

Also worth noting, aluminum isn't aluminum isn't aluminum. Just like steel, you got a zillion grades. Common 6061 (aircraft) is ok all around, 5086 is kinda impervious to typical corrosion, 3032 I want to say is one that sucks balls.

The big issue tin boats have in salt water is galvanic corrosion.

Shit will start eating holes in the hull in no time if it's not protected by a good coating, sacrificial zincs, or both.

I have no doubt that the aluminum body vehicles should be more rust resistant. Not impervious to damage though. Not at all.

The big issue tin boats have in salt water is galvanic corrosion.

Shit will start eating holes in the hull in no time if it's not protected by a good coating, sacrificial zincs, or both.

I have no doubt that the aluminum body vehicles should be more rust resistant. Not impervious to damage though. Not at all.

That's really no true. Yes its metal, I'm not sure if they zinc or galvanic isolate but a coating is extremely rare and saltwater aluminum boats are extremely reliable and common. Actually are most common in the most demanding applications like up in AK or fire/cg/le purposes.

What do you mean by writing on the wall? (Sure there's plenty but which scribble we talking here?)..

That's cool but they ought to ditch the financing incentives and stick to cash incentives - I'm more worried about the number I'm paying than my monthly payment and it sure sounds a lot better in an add. They'd probably make more $$ off most folks and vehicles by offering $4000 cash and getting say 5% versus 0% interest.
I’m guessing the writing on the wall is part scribble of messed up supply and people should be rather concerned with all the free shit being handed out and maybe the red tide ain’t coming.

I wish I had magic ball.

You gotta go one or the other. Power washing will wash away any undercoating.

While keeping the underside clean certainly helps, it is not as good a rust preventative as undercoating.

Yes, absolutely.

These are the preferred styles of hulls in say AK but also very commonly used for emergency/enforcement agencies on both coasts.

I’d own one in a split second. You ain’t seen a tougher boat. Fished plenty in a 23 footer on Jeffries Ledge.
You have fenders on the boat to protect the dock. The hull is 1/4 plate marine grade.

No polishing or waxing. True hard core dont GAF boat.

Back
Top Bottom