Using a high end gun for self defense

Best gun for self defense is the one you carry.

If you're going to edc a night hawk custom to go out and get your beard trimmed before stopping off at Starbucks for a machiatto and a quick pop in to the apple store, you do you, who are we to judge?

Last edited:
I carry different guns depending on where I go and what clothes I wear. Offer, I carry a Wilson Combat professional LW and just yesterday I carried an STI Costa Carry in 9mm to the Fort/Student Prince in Springfield. I carry something that is reliable and I am accurate and both fit the bill.
I’ve got a Costa Carry Comp that I love. Carry it in winter on occasion, a little big for me to conceal comfortably

Op, I typically carry a Glock of some variety because it’s reliable and indestructible essentially. I don’t have a pistol that I haven’t CC’d at some point and I don’t worry about marking up the finish etc or losing it in a self defense situation.

Attachments

• IMG_7759.jpeg
    IMG_7759.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
The saddest part is they are actually not all that bad. Other than being "big", was very similar in feel to my old kp95d. (I know. But at least the p95) line was actually issues to tank crews at one point.
and open shirt bare chested man hunks in the greatest action movie ever...desperado

Best gun for self defense is the one you carry.

If you're going to edc a night hawk custom to go out and get your beard trimmed before stopping off at Starbucks for a machiatto and a quick pop in to the apple store, you do you, who are we to judge?
I probably worded it poorly

My carry setups arent cheap

My gym short carry is a 365x with a light and romeo 0

I have 3 macro comps running holosuns and stream lights

And for giggles i have a hellcat pro with a crimson trace and a olight

But they are all just shitty plastic guns

Like if i scratch the paint or whatever its still just plastic

Where id be pissdd if i wear down a wilson

Why?

I see tons of pictures of people guns with lights, RMR, all sort of expensive crap hanging off them...but what I rarely see is wear marks. Just LAPERs buying guns to try to be cool.
Idk i also recently got a 1911 and instantly remembered i hate the platform so I'm weird

But if i had a wilson i shoot the shit out of it

But idk its like i have nice watches.. but i only wear it for special events

Idk maybe its the type of gun... I'm not saying theres a lot of logic here

I want a decked out shadow system cr920 thatll run me 1500

And im going to customize a 365

So maybe its like a nighthawk or a wilson is just for show to me idk

Like if i scratch the paint or whatever its still just plastic

Where id be pissdd if i wear down a wilson
I just don’t understand this view. My competition gun for several years was a full size Wilson Combat 1911. It was well used when I bought it. Then I did thousands of dry reps drawing it out of a Kydex holster that I rarely, if ever, cleaned. I put thousands of rounds through that gun which had already seen a lot of use. The slide finish is very worn. So what? A worn gun is a loved gun. No matter how much the finish is worn, it is still my best 1911 and at one point I had seven 1911s.

Some of folks sound like Gollum talking about the ring.

I just don’t understand this view. My competition gun for several years was a full size Wilson Combat 1911. It was well used when I bought it. Then I did thousands of dry reps drawing it out of a Kydex holster that I rarely, if ever, cleaned. I put thousands of rounds through that gun which had already seen a lot of use. The slide finish is very worn. So what? A worn gun is a loved gun. No matter how much the finish is worn, it is still my best 1911 and at one point I had seven 1911s.

Some of folks sound like Gollum talking about the ring.
Ah see thats easy

Out of every 20 guys with a pimped competition gun ive seen... 1 should actually have it

I shoot occasionally at open club matches but there are lot of bubbas running sti get ups who spent more on their mag belt than i did on my whole wardrobe sans gun

And they freaking suck

So if you shoot 2 or 3 times a week and you want a double stack 2011 frame or you want to run a 1911 thats high end because you like them fine of course they are gunna get beat

But idk maybe it was the ridiculousness of the setup.. appendix carrying a staccato p with a spare mag

Or maybe because there are just so many more comfortable options idk imo plastic is for carrying and 1911s are for fun at the range

I carried a 1911 for years. Usually it was a Kimber Compact — 4” slide with a shorter length frame, but sometimes I carried a full-size. I’ve rarely carried my Wilson, but I have often carried my full size stainless Kimber Series 1, which I’ve also put tens of thousands of rounds through. It was my primary competition gun before I found the Wilson.

I’m too small to carry a Staccato AIWB. In general, my round belly doesn’t seem to work well with AIWB (I’m 5’ 9”, 160 lbs), even with something thinner like my 43x. I haven’t tried a Phlster holster, but I may give that a try. I’ve tried a couple well regarded AIWB holsters but neither worked for me. YMMV.

As I get older and weaker, I’m carrying a 9mm these days instead of 45, because it is easier for me to handle the reduced recoil. I’m very much drawn to the smaller 1911/2011ish 9mms, like the Wilson SFX9 or the new Kimber KDS9C. Put a red dot on top and that might replace my Glock 19 as my primary carry gun. Then again, the new CZ Shadow 2 Compact is also very attractive to me. None of the above would be cheap guns but I would happily carry any of the three. Decisions, decisions.

I carried a 1911 for years. Usually it was a Kimber Compact — 4” slide with a shorter length frame, but sometimes I carried a full-size. I’ve rarely carried my Wilson, but I have often carried my full size stainless Kimber Series 1, which I’ve also put tens of thousands of rounds through. It was my primary competition gun before I found the Wilson.

I’m too small to carry a Staccato AIWB. In general, my round belly doesn’t seem to work well with AIWB (I’m 5’ 9”, 160 lbs), even with something thinner like my 43x. I haven’t tried a Phlster holster, but I may give that a try. I’ve tried a couple well regarded AIWB holsters but neither worked for me. YMMV.

As I get older and weaker, I’m carrying a 9mm these days instead of 45, because it is easier for me to handle the reduced recoil. I’m very much drawn to the smaller 1911/2011ish 9mms, like the Wilson SFX9 or the new Kimber KDS9C. Put a red dot on top and that might replace my Glock 19 as my primary carry gun. Then again, the new CZ Shadow 2 Compact is also very attractive to me. None of the above would be cheap guns but I would happily carry any of the three. Decisions, decisions.
But even of the 3 you mentioned like carrying the Wilson edcx9 to me seems like a different class

But who knows maybe when you get that sweet moderator money wilson money isnt a big deal

But even of the 3 you mentioned like carrying the Wilson edcx9 to me seems like a different class

But who knows maybe when you get that sweet moderator money wilson money isnt a big deal
I believe the EDC9 and SFX9 are in the $3k range. The KDS9C and Shadow 2 Compact are in the $1,500 range. Add in $500 for a red dot, $100 for a holster and it’s $2k to $3.5k.

But back to the question that started this thread — if I actually use a gun for self defense, attorney fees would range from $10k for a clean shoot to over $150k for a murder defense. The cost of the gun in question would be the least of my worries. If I’m worried about whether I’m going to spend the rest of my life in prison and I’ve been fired from my job, then whether my confiscated gun cost $1k or $3k doesn’t seem to be of much importance to me.

Why?

I see tons of pictures of people guns with lights, RMR, all sort of expensive crap hanging off them...but what I rarely see is wear marks. Just LAPERs buying guns to try to be cool.

This is my observation too. They guys with blinged out guns flexing online, the guns look fresh out of the box. The guys I see at the range every couple weeks methodically training, worn in guns, tape on the grips, hand filed gas pedals and the like or the carry piece, the same plastic 'works every time but no damned fun' P365s, M&Ps and Glocks or, every once in a while, 1911's with the bluing half gone.

Controversial take on carry guns with lights. If you're too far to see without a light when you're out of the house, it's too far and too dark to shoot and light bearing holsters don't do a good job of sealing the trigger guard.

Controversial take on carry guns with lights. If you're too far to see without a light when you're out of the house, it's too far and too dark to shoot and light bearing holsters don't do a good job of sealing the trigger guard.
I carry a Glock 19 with a light. At age 63, my low light vision isn’t what it used to be. Many incidents occur at night. Yes, I also carry a handheld flashlight. Having done some low light shooting (both in classes and competition), shooting with a mounted light is much easier than a handheld. Is a mounted light necessary? No, but I think it does offer an advantage. Disadvantages are weight, cost, and more limited holster selection. Pick your poison. I think it is just as wrong to say “you must have a weapon mounted light on your carry pistol” as it is to say “you shouldn’t have a mounted light on your carry pistol”. Consider the pros and cons and make your choice. This isn’t a right or wrong kind of thing, no matter what some pundits claim.

Last edited:
I carry a Glock 19 with a light. At age 63, my low light vision isn’t what it used to be. Many incidents occur at night. Yes, I also carry a handheld flashlight. Having done some low light shooting (both in classes and competition), shooting with a mounted light is much easier than a handheld. Is a mounted light necessary? No, but I think it does offer an advantage. Disadvantages are weight, cost, and more limited holster selection. Pick your poison. I think it is just as wrong to say “you must have a weapon mounted light on your carry pistol” as it is to say “you shouldn’t have a mounted light on your carry pistol”. Consider the pros and cons and make your choice. This isn’t a right or wrong kind of thing, no matter what some pundits claim.
Fair enough. I'm also in a very urban environment so it's never that dark. My comment was mostly a reaction to this kind of thing: Carry_By-Who.jpeg

Fair enough. I'm also in a very urban environment so it's never that dark. My comment was mostly a reaction to this kind of thing: View attachment 790411
Ah, a SIG version of the Roland Special. I’ve never tried putting a compensator on my Glock 19. I’d be interested to try it, but I doubt I would carry it. More of a range toy for me. I would be a bit leery of carrying a gun with an aftermarket compensator on it, but I guess that is partly due to my lack of experience with a compensator. I would consider carrying a P365 Macro as its compensator isn’t dependent on a set screw.

I already carry a Glock 19 with an RMR and TLR-7a, so I guess I’m part of the way there,

Last edited:
:mad:

That's f***ed the cops did that.... But just an observation, you seem to be involved in a disproportionate amount of defensive cases involving the use of your firearm.... Maybe start keeping better company or hanging out in better neighborhoods? IDK man... Jesus Christ.
I’m not sure what you’re getting at.. I didn’t do anything when I got arrested for that shooting.
I think they arrested like six people in connection to this, two people went into hiding..
They came to my house and the rest of the shooter, and then I came back a few hours later the rest of me I wasn’t running anywhere.Thank God, the shooter did what he did or I would’ve shot the guy in the chest a bunch of times. AZ really is the Wild West.

Ive. Only used a firearm for the defense of my self and others on a few occasions, and it didn’t involve pulling the trigger..

I also stopped doing security work in the ghetto because we’ll it isn’t at all safe.

Why?

Honest wear for extended use and carry is good.

Gouges and scratches are not.

Why?

My sw637 has some serious holster wear. Including some serious gouges on the barrel tip from encounters with things.

Odly the parkerized P3-AT just somehow doesn't. The crossbreed it's lived in for 13 years took most of the beating.

Ah, a SIG version of the Roland Special. I’ve never tried putting a compensator on my Glock 19. I’d be interested to try it, but I doubt I would carry it. More of a range toy for me. I would be a bit leery of carrying a gun with an aftermarket compensator on it, but I guess that is partly due to my lack of experience with a compensator. I would consider carrying a P365 Macro as its compensator isn’t dependent on a set screw.

I already carry a Glock 19 with an RMR and TLR-7a, so I guess I’m part of the way there,
I moved my 365 FCU into a Macro frame with the comp on the slide (and a red dot), then added a magwell. With the 365 short barrel ammo, it's great. Probably the best small handgun I've used. Doesn't bite like the mouse guns I've shot, better in the hand than the subcompact Glerks I have.

I moved my 365 FCU into a Macro frame with the comp on the slide (and a red dot), then added a magwell. With the 365 short barrel ammo, it's great. Probably the best small handgun I've used. Doesn't bite like the mouse guns I've shot, better in the hand than the subcompact Glerks I have.
They really are amazing guns

Attachments

• 20230829_110805.jpg
    20230829_110805.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 10
Only thing I don't have on it is a light. Mostly because my current strategy is "if I need a light outside the house, run".
3 Dot night sites are probably ok if you can see well in the dark and an optic

I started running lights after walking my dog one night in the florida woods

I was like alright lets practice drawing and aiming in the dark(almost pitch black)

And without rear night sights i realized i wasnt gunna hit shit

Ever since then if theres a sale on olight I'm buying a couple

3 Dot night sites are probably ok if you can see well in the dark and an optic

I started running lights after walking my dog one night in the florida woods

I was like alright lets practice drawing and aiming in the dark(almost pitch black)

And without rear night sights i realized i wasnt gunna hit shit

Ever since then if theres a sale on olight I'm buying a couple
I use a red dot on my Glock 43x. Night sites and red dots help you aim but don’t help you see the target — you need a flashlight for that.

I use a red dot on my Glock 43x. Night sites and red dots help you aim but don’t help you see the target — you need a flashlight for that.
Depends on how dark it is

Because no one in my house can sleep right they leave like half the lights on at night so id be fine in my house in low light

Pitch black yeah flashlight

I was thinking that I should buy a Macro, then get a shorter XL grip and magazines for easier concealment.

Back
Top Bottom