Using a high end gun for self defense

Can you imagine the loss of street cred when that burglar gets shot by a Yert Cannon? I mean, he's gonna live, cuz it's a Highpoint. I can hear the snickering from the jury in my mind now...

Down here in ga I'm seeing a lot of high end setups for self defense

Lot of staccatos and wilson combats specifically

I always thought you pretty much could kiss your gun goodbye if you use it in self defense no?

And then i was curious how many nes'rs run a high end self defense setup

Not knocking them i want a Wilson lol... just not sure id carry it

No matter what you carry OR use for self defense. Understand ifs you USE self defense, you will likely need a LAWYER.

I recommend considering joining ACLDN. Unlike "Carry Insurance" which is "REGULATED"; ACLDN is not regulated by states of the government.

ACLDN was formed by use of force experts; to give you access to legal advice and a lawyer after USING self defense.

I carry different guns depending on where I go and what clothes I wear. Offer, I carry a Wilson Combat professional LW and just yesterday I carried an STI Costa Carry in 9mm to the Fort/Student Prince in Springfield. I carry something that is reliable and I am accurate and both fit the bill.

The frame is the serialized part. To the extent of my knowledge, that is the "firearm" that then must be transferred through a dealer if crossing state lines. As the "firearm" isn't on the approved roster, the dealer would be breaking the law by transferring it to an in-state resident.

Is that not the law?
Massachusetts is special. Seriously.

Fed law serialized lower/frame IS the firearm. 4473 required for transfer from ffl to individual.

Dealer in mass can sell frame to individual because frame is NOT a firearm under current mass law. Therefore roster doesn’t enter the picture.

The cost of my carry gun is the least of my concerns.
What I carry is a compromise of concealability, capacity and shootability.
Reliability is never a compromise. I would never carry a gun that I was worried about if it would go bang.

For me, I then weigh how well I shoot it, with how well I can conceal it. Yeah, I shoot a full size 1911 the best, but can not often conceal it well. But when I can conceal it, you bet that's what I'm going to carry. I don't carry my most expensive 1911. I carry the most reliable.

I do see a red dot in my future. The old eyes are not what they used to be.

Username checks out and solves the mystery of who would pay Gun Parlor ~$3K for an old Olympic Arms AR.
Oh, do you mean to imply a "frame transfer" allows me to have a flash hider, threaded barrel, and an adjustable stock.... Sweet....

Some of us don't like our ARs pussified.... and 3K is not a lot of money... Maybe for an Olympic though...

Massachusetts is special. Seriously.

Fed law serialized lower/frame IS the firearm. 4473 required for transfer from ffl to individual.

Dealer in mass can sell frame to individual because frame is NOT a firearm under current mass law. Therefore roster doesn’t enter the picture.
I see, thanks for the clarification.

The prosecutor will always try to portray whatever you use in a bad light. Even if you used the same pistol and ammo that your local PD uses, they may try to call you a pretend wanna-be cop who was trying to get a bad guy. I have largely stopped worrying about such silliness.
what if my gun has "I only shoot the bad guys" engraved on the slide?

I have a couple 1911's, and they're beautiful. I take them to the range occasionally and enjoy them. Same way that I shoot my .22's and my revolvers.

I shoot a G34 in competition, (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, Pins, plates). It's my chosen platform. The gun goes bang when I pull the trigger, and it's more than sufficiently accurate for the shooting I do, (no bullseye). I have a lot of muscle memories associated with that gun, which stem from typically a dryfire session, a range session and a match each week.

Consequently, I want the same platform for my carry gun. Same ergonomics, same controls.

So, I have a G31 with a 9mm conversion barrel as a knapsack gun, and a G43X for concealed carry.

They're all Glock 9mms, have TalonWraps on them, have undercut triggerguards, and had the triggers replaced. The differences are in the sights. The G34 has an SRO mounted to it, the G31 has an RMR mounted, and the 43X is iron sighted.

So, on at least one practice session per month, I take the G31 and 43X and work with them a bit.

Oh, do you mean to imply a "frame transfer" allows me to have a flash hider, threaded barrel, and an adjustable stock.... Sweet....

Some of us don't like our ARs pussified.... and 3K is not a lot of money... Maybe for an Olympic though...
No, frame transfer only pertains to what's legal to own vs. what pistols supposedly illegal to sell because it's not on the AG's secret squirrel list. That only came up due to someone else's assertion that there's no need to pay rape pricing for a Glock. (And there isn't)

Yeah, it's clear you value that preban stuff. Some folks do. I do not, and while I cannot speak for others I think there are many on the forum who do not value that either. For $3K I can build two sub-MOA AR's with top shelf barrels, BCG's, and triggers.

For sure it sucks to have to pin & weld a muzzle brake to be compliant, but given the price differential between a true preban lower and a decent Aero etc. postban- I really don't care. Once I assemble an upper it's unlikely I'll take it apart until the barrel is shot out. While I like a good brake, I consider both flash hiders and bayonet lugs to be larp-tastic hardware that I can live without. My competition AR's have fixed stocks anyway and my home defense AR's are pinned at a shorter length. I'll leave MA in the next few years but regardless I'll never have a need for a true preban.

We can't have suppressors in the PRM, so there's really not a reason to grow wood over having a threaded barrel.

And IMHO, all AR's are pussy guns. ;)

Shoot what you shoot best. Your attorney will explain that you chose the gun that you are most accurate with to keep from endangering anybody else. Probably want to avoid any engraving like "an eye for an eye" or "smile, wait for flash"

Somebody once said I shouldn’t use a silencer on my nightstand gun because it will get confiscated by the law. My answer was I could unscrew it before the cops come or just use a different can until I get that one back. Also, my ears won’t be ringing.
I hear you. Plus it's nice to be considerate of the neighbors if they're close. You wouldn't want to wake them up.

No, frame transfer only pertains to what's legal to own vs. what pistols supposedly illegal to sell because it's not on the AG's secret squirrel list. That only came up due to someone else's assertion that there's no need to pay rape pricing for a Glock. (And there isn't)

Yeah, it's clear you value that preban stuff. Some folks do. I do not, and while I cannot speak for others I think there are many on the forum who do not value that either. For $3K I can build two sub-MOA AR's with top shelf barrels, BCG's, and triggers.

For sure it sucks to have to pin & weld a muzzle brake to be compliant, but given the price differential between a true preban lower and a decent Aero etc. postban- I really don't care. Once I assemble an upper it's unlikely I'll take it apart until the barrel is shot out. While I like a good brake, I consider both flash hiders and bayonet lugs to be larp-tastic hardware that I can live without. My competition AR's have fixed stocks anyway and my home defense AR's are pinned at a shorter length. I'll leave MA in the next few years but regardless I'll never have a need for a true preban.

We can't have suppressors in the PRM, so there's really not a reason to grow wood over having a threaded barrel.

And IMHO, all AR's are pussy guns. ;)

I HATE muzzle breaks. Flash hiders also make the gun far quieter to shoot - especially to your neighbors on the range. Having a brake on an AR, which already has no recoil - is just dumb. I would rather just have a target crown on the end of the barrel.

No one is paying 3K for a pre-ban rifle at this point. FS has Green and Blue label Colts come through and they're usually in the 1700 range. Still pricey I suppose, but you pay more for the prancing pony anyway.

I HATE muzzle breaks. Flash hiders also make the gun far quieter to shoot - especially to your neighbors on the range. Having a brake on an AR, which already has no recoil - is just dumb. I would rather just have a target crown on the end of the barrel.

No one is paying 3K for a pre-ban rifle at this point. FS has Green and Blue label Colts come through and they're usually in the 1700 range. Still pricey I suppose, but you pay more for the prancing pony anyway.
My high power competition AR rifles all have a target crown. Agreed that brakes suck for neighbors at the range. They are however necessary for PRS type games for cartridges with enough juice to be accurate to longer distances. They are still nice for lightweight AR's such as my wife's carbine. Mid length gas system + limbsaver butt pad + brake makes it like shooting a 10/22.

Consequently, I want the same platform for my carry gun. Same ergonomics, same controls.

So, I have a G31 with a 9mm conversion barrel as a knapsack gun, and a G43X for concealed carry.

In a thread full of dumb shit, some great advice, especially for the guys that insist on having a rotation of carry guns that each operate differently.

High end / low end / middle ... I don't care. Reliability is #1 for me. #2 is how easy I can conceal it. #3 is making sure it doesn't have all sorts of junk everywhere that can get caught on something.

If the gun costs $300, so be it.
If it costs $1.5K, I am fine with that as well.

/thread

If I have to use a gun for self defense, it will be whatever is nearest to me at the time, and I don't care if it is a $35,000 dollar sub machinegun or a $200.00 dollar .22LR revolver. If it does the job of saving my life, I don't care what the monetary value of the tool is.

You would be incorrect. People are still paying high dollar for perceived unobtanium.

This comment has strong “buy a condo like I did for $100k with 20% down thanks to my factory job at GE and build equity for a house” vibes
A.k.a. Out of touch.

I would say the concern here is not really high end, customized or not but more whether it is safe for defensive use. Sure, I can imagine cosmetic changes particularly slogans which could be used to argue a state of mind of the shooter and would likely be argued. I don't think it's crazy that a racy name might have some appeal to a DA. Defeating a safety device could also cause an issue. A very light trigger that can accidently fire could be a real liability too, criminal or civil. But the name brand of the gun is likely irrelevant. Most cops, DAs and attorneys have no idea of what is high end or low.

A talked to both sides of a trial recently. Neither had any idea what caliber or make of pistol they had just had a trial about. The DA said a Rennington 38? The defense lawyer also though it was some kind of 38. It was a Ruger LCP.

Back
Top Bottom