Using a high end gun for self defense

Down here in ga I'm seeing a lot of high end setups for self defense

Lot of staccatos and wilson combats specifically

I always thought you pretty much could kiss your gun goodbye if you use it in self defense no?

And then i was curious how many nes'rs run a high end self defense setup

Not knocking them i want a Wilson lol... just not sure id carry it

What's a 'high end' gun? If you use a finely tuned custom STI race gun to shoot someone and kill him in self defense, wouldn't a prosecutor have all sorts of fun with that? Vs. say if you used a run of the mill Glock/HK/Sig etc. with a factory trigger?

Down here in ga I'm seeing a lot of high end setups for self defense

Lot of staccatos and wilson combats specifically

I always thought you pretty much could kiss your gun goodbye if you use it in self defense no?

And then i was curious how many nes'rs run a high end self defense setup

Not knocking them i want a Wilson lol... just not sure id carry it

Why not? The likelihood of actually needing to use it is so low, but the importance so high, why not use what you’re comfortable and familiar with if that’s the gun you choose to train with and trust the most?

I wouldn’t use a rare or historic gun, because of the likelihood of not getting it back. But a $2k gun? Eh, it’s only money. I could use a $400 Glock after a defensive shooting until I could procure another “fancy” gun.

What's a 'high end' gun? If you use a finely tuned custom STI race gun to shoot someone and kill him in self defense, wouldn't a prosecutor have all sorts of fun with that? Vs. say if you used a run of the mill Glock/HK/Sig etc. with a factory trigger?
Not this argument again...

If you have to shoot somebody, losing the firearm is the least of your worries.

There are all sorts of reasons above why it's, in my opinion, dumb to carry anything but a bone stock and boring. (ok, maybe an optic if you can get one with co-witnessed sights and you don't mind the extra hump on top but train with the irons fallback)

Last edited:

The prosecutor will always try to portray whatever you use in a bad light. Even if you used the same pistol and ammo that your local PD uses, they may try to call you a pretend wanna-be cop who was trying to get a bad guy. I have largely stopped worrying about such silliness.

Dumb argument.

As most of those higher endy things require major temporal experiences to verify their click-bang selves ... don't care either way.

I'm either a stock j-frame or stock Glock guy for first line personal defense.

I have no illusions that any firearm I use in a situation will be im my hands after that situation involves a community experience like a defensive event.

Fortunately, reliability is not a valid reason for preferring high end stuff, only for avoiding crap. Personally, I think one should train with what one carries, and it's best to have two of whatever you carry, one to shoot to sh*t and the other that is kept low mileage to carry. If money is no object, and you can afford two, do whatever.

Why not? The likelihood of actually needing to use it is so low, but the importance so high, why not use what you’re comfortable and familiar with if that’s the gun you choose to train with and trust the most?

I wouldn’t use a rare or historic gun, because of the likelihood of not getting it back. But a $2k gun? Eh, it’s only money. I could use a $400 Glock after a defensive shooting until I could procure another “fancy” gun.
Idk.. to me theres always eye candy guns and duty guns the eye candy doesnt fall into the duty category

What's the scoop on red dot optics on self defense guns? Will a jury of your peers see you as an operator out to kill?

I've seen a lot of staccatos, zev/agency glocks(whole different arguement there) wilsons

Idk i guess maybe I'm just poor lol but if i have one of those its gunna be a fun range toy not something im going to beat on every day

The prosecutor will always try to portray whatever you use in a bad light. Even if you used the same pistol and ammo that your local PD uses, they may try to call you a pretend wanna-be cop who was trying to get a bad guy. I have largely stopped worrying about such silliness.
It depends what state you live in too.

Here in bluegrass I see a lot of Taurus semiautos and a lot of lower end 1911s. Some high end stuff too. Lots of Glocks. I think people here worry less about what's on their hip since most have a shotgun or rifle in the truck.

How many of us have home defense rigs that are at least $2k+? And wouldn’t hesitate to use them if needed? If it’s not a family heirloom, it can most likely be replaced. If you run it well and can trust your life to it. That’s the point imo.
Yeah idk i trust my czp10 as much as id trust a wilson if not more

My home defense setups are a p10f tactical with a light and a canik mete with a light and an rds

If i owned any 2k+ guns they would be for show

How many of us have home defense rigs that are at least $2k+? And wouldn’t hesitate to use them if needed? If it’s not a family heirloom, it can most likely be replaced. If you run it well and can trust your life to it. That’s the point imo.
True. Bet most gun enthusiasts have way more than one handgun for carry 'rotation'. That said, if I'm going out and picking a piece to strap on, it's not gonna be the pimped out Wilson Inox Beretta or Talo PPK showpiece. It'll be a run of the mill beater Hellcat or something else cheap, tiny, plastic and melonited steel and reliable.

Here in bluegrass I see a lot of Taurus semiautos and a lot of lower end 1911s. Some high end stuff too. Lots of Glocks. I think people here worry less about what's on their hip since most have a shotgun or rifle in the truck.
Yeah i mean i say all this but in my truck i have 3k worth of guns just in case i need it

I leave a pws with optic and a macro setup exactly like my carry gun lol

I've seen a lot of staccatos, zev/agency glocks(whole different arguement there) wilsons

Idk i guess maybe I'm just poor lol but if i have one of those its gunna be a fun range toy not something im going to beat on every day

What is the point of having a nice gun if you aren't going to use it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom