• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UPS Lost my firearm?

LOL!!! [laugh] File this under statements that really weren't necessary. [thumbsup]
Not everyone knows the city/area. My first jobs were in Brockton, including a NU Co-Op job for Brockton Edison so I was in damn near every business and lots of houses in all areas of the city. Even though that was in the mid-1960s, it's only gotten worse since then (and it wasn't good then either)!

Brockton is a good place for "lost guns" sitting in a trailer. Gang bangers there won't have to travel far to pick up their gat.

And the UPS location in Brockton isn't in a very nice area. I've been there and shipped guns from there years ago.
YEah, that area is not a great place. I picked up a $4,000 guitar there once and I was NOT a fan of schlepping that back to my car.

Have it within the next week? Seriously? If someone puts hands on it, it should be given directly to someone in charge, put into a company vehicle with said person in charge and driven directly to your location. It has already been lost, so they are just going to throw it back into the system? That's seriously f***ed up.

The best part is I just got an update that they sent it to warwick RI. To be routed back to Boston. Makes sense somewhere.

Thinking ahead, once I have the rifle back in my hands. To let everyone know that the rifle is back in my possession I can call the local PD, reply to the ATF email but what do I do about the mass gun portal? do I have to re-register it?

Thinking ahead, once I have the rifle back in my hands. To let everyone know that the rifle is back in my possession I can call the local PD, reply to the ATF email but what do I do about the mass gun portal? do I have to re-register it?
Once something has been registered it never gets removed. You can’t unregister something last I checked. @Len-2A Training can correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Sell it. Immediately. Lose money if you have to.

Because if any agency involved listed it as stolen, you really don't want to be in possession of it, ever again.

If any agency involved listed it as stolen, whether it was lost or stolen, you're at risk of getting jacked up any time any police officer in the U.S. runs the serial number through NCIC.

Lol and how often does that happen? [rofl] Protip: if police are reading your gun serial numbers on the reg, you have much bigger problems than this.

Some of you guys have your foil wrapped too tight.

I would think that officer friendly at the local PD can provide either some means of listing it "found" or otherwise delisting it from "stolen" or whatever status it was.

Read again what I wrote.

If any agency involved listed it as stolen, whether it was lost or stolen, you're at risk of getting jacked up any time any police officer in the U.S. runs the serial number through NCIC.

It will be removed from NCIC once it’s back in my possession, I just have to call the police and let them know it’s home.

the only thing I’m unsure of is the mass gun portal. I don’t see anything on there that says it can be put back into my possession but I’ll try calling Monday.

could you do a EFA-10 and leave the seller blank and just re-enter the information

The system will either reject the submission, or at worse have duplicate information for the same gun.

As others have said, when you sell or transfer a firearm the information from your transaction is never removed from your file.

Given the paper trail , the reporting of and subsequent recovery notification to law enforcement, how can this come back to bite you in the MA portal?

could you do a EFA-10 and leave the seller blank and just re-enter the information

The system will either reject the submission, or at worse have duplicate information for the same gun.

As others have said, when you sell or transfer a firearm the information from your transaction is never removed from your file.

Given the paper trail , the reporting of and subsequent recovery notification to law enforcement, how can this come back to bite you in the MA portal?

Not sure how it could bite me but I just wanted to make sure I was doing it properly.

Last edited:
It will be removed from NCIC once it’s back in my possession, I just have to call the police and let them know it’s home.

the only thing I’m unsure of is the mass gun portal. I don’t see anything on there that says it can be put back into my possession but I’ll try calling Monday.
Call FRB after you've talked to the PD and tell them the situation. They will either fix it or tell you what to do.

Nope, not wrong.

Got a gun registered to me that I dont think exists- bought a milsurp at cabellas and the kid f***ed up the registration.
Andrew isn't necessarily wrong now I doubt that frb will destroy any registrations unless there's a paperwork error like what you experienced.. there are tons of us around here with like gun reports that are several pages long. The last trooper that pulled me over a year or so ago just about shit his pants when he drilled down into my gun list.... he eventually asked me why I owned so many guns and I had to try to explain to him that.... " I Wish I Still owned that many guns but the way the system works is when you get rid of one, the state never erases it from your institutional history...."

Andrew isn't necessarily wrong now I doubt that frb will destroy any registrations unless there's a paperwork error like what you experienced.. there are tons of us around here with like gun reports that are several pages long. The last trooper that pulled me over a year or so ago just about shit his pants when he drilled down into my gun list.... he eventually asked me why I owned so many guns and I had to try to explain to him that.... " I Wish I Still owned that many guns but the way the system works is when you get rid of one, the state never erases it from your institutional history...."
Write only database. Good luck removing anything...

Quick update for anyone interested. I got a call from UPS who stated they might have found the package in Brockton, looks like it was "misrouted" and possibly sitting in a trailer. They are going to see if they can get someone at the facility to put hands on it today.

Also, I learned that the emails UPS send out are automated. Just because it says its in location X and will be delivered between time Y does not mean that it is truly in those locations. It is computer based emails sent out without validation for expected delivery times. Hopefully they find the box and I have it in within the next week.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and tips.

UPS the company right now is like the mailman with too much mail to deliver. The mailman starts chucking bundles of mail into a dumpster while UPS is leaving trailers unloaded. They're not actually dumping them yet though.

"misrouted" and possibly sitting in a trailer means one of the packages that came in and never made it out of the trailer.

All kidding aside this is a serious situation for UPS. They have more package flow than their current system can support. There are only two possible outcomes, delay every package by an ever-increasing time or abandon some of the flow indefinitely in an ever-growing package mountain.

UPS the company right now is like the mailman with too much mail to deliver. The mailman starts chucking bundles of mail into a dumpster while UPS is leaving trailers unloaded. They're not actually dumping them yet though.

"misrouted" and possibly sitting in a trailer means one of the packages that came in and never made it out of the trailer.

All kidding aside this is a serious situation for UPS. They have more package flow than their current system can support. There are only two possible outcomes, delay every package by an ever-increasing time or abandon some of the flow indefinitely in an ever-growing package mountain.

the original email said it landed in Chelmsford and was out for delivery. In actuality, it was in Warwick RI in a trailer. So it went from Vermont to Rhode Island. When it was supposed to come to mass.

if they just told me it’s Delayed it wouldn’t have been a big deal. After a week they told me it was lost and unlikely to be found and to file a claim. Another week later it’s found in Warwick.

imagine all the packages that are not important enough to be found. I’m sure there is a trailer full of stuff they gave up on.

the original email said it landed in Chelmsford and was out for delivery. In actuality, it was in Warwick RI in a trailer. So it went from Vermont to Rhode Island. When it was supposed to come to mass.

if they just told me it’s Delayed it wouldn’t have been a big deal. After a week they told me it was lost and unlikely to be found and to file a claim. Another week later it’s found in Warwick.

imagine all the packages that are not important enough to be found. I’m sure there is a trailer full of stuff they gave up on.

Exactly, except it's not one trailer, it's hundreds. Expect to see UPS leasing trailers soon.

Back
Top Bottom