UPS Lost my firearm?

I did order books by U.S. Mail recently with tracking twice they didn't move for seven days and took twenty-eight days to arrive. So anything is possible.

there is a reason USPS "media mail" postage is so low, it is the last mail that moves, every other piece of mail in the GMF gets priority over books and periodicals.

If the USPS is running at less than full ability due to covid, and packages mailed at First Class, Priority. and Express mail rates are waiting to go, they go and your books stay.

. . . a gunsmith (god by little lake on street of cows) and they delivered it to the wrong house. This was back before Jacques f'ed us and home based FFLs were common, not not to many had the amount of machinery this gun ran in his basement. Fedex it on the porch at the wrong house. . . .
Either I'm missing some cultural references, or you should really check yourself for signs of a stroke.

Whenever you read a rule or regulation like that which refers to a 'Licensed' person, they do NOT mean a state license. They mean a Federal Firearms License, aka FFL. The two things are completely separate and unrelated to one another.
This needs to be reposted on 30% of firearm discussion threads here. It is mind numbing reading some of them.

As far as delivery services go, it is just a numbers game. Some people imagine that your gun is somehow special to them, as if it get moved around by armed guards and put in locked cages. You don’t make money in that industry treating packages like that. It’s sad your gun got lost but I guarantee you UPS/FedEx/USPS looses things every day as a small percentage of volume.

I must be missing something.. The package will most likely get delivered. All carriers are backed up right now and running a few days + behind on scheduled delivery dates. So why go inviting all of these different agencies into your business?!

You will probably spend a lot more time trying to get them out of your business after the package shows up in a few days.

If the package shows delivered and it is not at your house, sure, have at it. But the package is still in transit, right? Out for Delivery means that it is most likely at your local hub and will be delivered soon. You could also try having them put a ‘hold for pickup’ on the package.

There is thievery in all delivery services .
The post office too.
Amazon has that policy of the driver taking a picture of the delivered package at the address.
Someone posted ring camera footage of one of the drivers taking the picture and then picking up the package and walking off with it.
I'm betting that if the nice men from the ATF show up at the packages last location it might get "Found" pretty quick.

The post office too.
Amazon has that policy of the driver taking a picture of the delivered package at the address.
Someone posted ring camera footage of one of the drivers taking the picture and then picking up the package and walking off with it.
I'm betting that if the nice men from the ATF show up at the packages last location it might get "Found" pretty quick.

Right, but just because a package shows out for delivery and does not get get delivered, that does not mean that it is stolen. In fact, just the opposite. It much more likely means that the building is working through a backlog of packages and is trying to catch up. If it disappears for a few days / week with zero scans, than that might be more reason for concern.

Right, but just because a package shows out for delivery and does not get get delivered, that does not mean that it is stolen. In fact, just the opposite. It much more likely means that the building is working through a backlog of packages and is trying to catch up. If it disappears for a few days / week with zero scans, than that might be more reason for concern.

That's true , had that happen many times.
If my coffee filters are a few days late, it's not a big deal.
Not being able to account for a firearm though ramps the concern level up a bit.

"Out for Delivery" means that it is on a truck. UPS/FedEx requires next day or 2 day air delivery as it is supposed to be tracked internally more tightly than ground for handguns since they had internal theft rings stealing them. Therefore a gun "out for delivery" for 2-3 days is very suspect. The longer you wait, the further away it is (sold, perhaps resold) and the less chance of recovery.

Most of us want our guns and don't want them floating around in the wrong hands.

Since UPS/FedEx gouges shippers for air only to prevent theft, they need to be more accountable for things going missing. Reporting it ASAP forces that accountability.

90 Brick Kiln Road
Chelmsford MA

They have no published phone number. The number you find in an internet search is the general UPS customer service number. All inquiries must go through them.

Depending on the situation, Chelmsford may call you. Customer service needs to request it. You CAN NOT call them direct!

Is it even worth going There, I’ve been told numerous times they are trying to locate.

Going there, likely won't get you very far. Call customer service again. Explain the seriousness of losing a firearm.

In the end a firearm can be replaced. UPS should eventually reimburse you.

The post office too.
I used to go to postal auctions before they stopped doing them in NYC, you would be amazed at what gets "lost" in the mail.

So it was listed as out for delivery on Tuesday and Then on Wednesday. After Wednesday the tracking number just said no Information, I called Thursday and Friday and They said it was delayed. I called Saturday and they said there hasn't been a scan since Wednesday and it’s presumed to be a lost package. But I had to wait 5 days.

Either I'm missing some cultural references, or you should really check yourself for signs of a stroke.
There was a gunsmith who was highly regarded who lived on a little lake (or big pond) out in the Dudley area but, when visiting him, one had to be careful because cows for the neighboring farm often got loose and wandered in the road to his place. Those who dealt with Bob Javery would understand the reference. He was a master machinist and was building USPSA style competition guns out of the basement of his A frame house. I heard he eventually ended up with a kidney transplant and died is December, 2014.

How are the hours? Is it 11-4 as shown online?
Sounds right. Odd hours because it is some distance from the main campus. When I get there at 10:45AM there are always a few Brown trucks lined up to bring items in
from them. Someone shows up to open the building and while customers enter, drivers are bringing in shipments through the side door.

They also have a shutdown (for lunch I suppose) with weird times like "!:15PM until 2:00" or something along those lines.

Feels very 'loosie-goosey'...

Is it even worth going There, I’ve been told numerous times they are trying to locate.

I highly doubt there is any customer service at Chelmsford, just maybe a counter to ship stuff.

The only thing that can make them find it any faster(among the other thousands of missing package complaints) is the .gov, which you already notified.

As long as you notified the people you were supposed to notify, there is nothing to do but wait for a phone call or package to show up..Maybe the ATF gave you a case number or something to reference, I would call them for updates.

You can't just walking into a UPS terminal, it is pretty tight security.

As a firearm licensed owner, you are allowed to ship back to licensed manufacturer for repair, and they are allowed to ship it back to you the owner. You do not need to go thru an FFL to do this. When you ship it though, you must declare it as a firearm....

I did this with a shotgun. Sent it to mossberg for warranty repair. They shipped it straight back to me.
Glock just sent me a lower, (frame), as a warranty replacement. Fedex left it at my front door.

Back
Top Bottom