UPS Lost my firearm?

UPS the company right now is like the mailman with too much mail to deliver. The mailman starts chucking bundles of mail into a dumpster while UPS is leaving trailers unloaded. They're not actually dumping them yet though.

"misrouted" and possibly sitting in a trailer means one of the packages that came in and never made it out of the trailer.

All kidding aside this is a serious situation for UPS. They have more package flow than their current system can support. There are only two possible outcomes, delay every package by an ever-increasing time or abandon some of the flow indefinitely in an ever-growing package mountain.

Of course someone would say "well why dont they just expand" but of course when Corona BS is over the demand will only go back to 110% of what the old average was (before rona) not 150% like it is now.

Of course someone would say "well why dont they just expand" but of course when Corona BS is over the demand will only go back to 110% of what the old average was (before rona) not 150% like it is now.

From what I know about UPS from talking to drivers over the years it's a business where it's difficult to expand capacity suddenly. All the new hires need to be brought up to speed and contribute negative productivity at first.

If I were CEO I would be thinking about free market solutions to this problem. The simple answer is to raise prices until the flow slows. Looks like they're already thinking about this with the 50 lb package surcharge. In times of crisis companies are forced to actually think about what they're doing, what they get paid for and what they aren't charging enough for.

So, Mr. Abney, the package you want to ship is the compact 10 lb package that slips through the system like poutine through a Canadian. The packages you don't want are both very heavy and very large. So a tiered surcharge by weight and also by dimensional weight should do the trick.

Last edited:
Lol and how often does that happen? [rofl] Protip: if police are reading your gun serial numbers on the reg, you have much bigger problems than this.

Some of you guys have your foil wrapped too tight.

I would think that officer friendly at the local PD can provide either some means of listing it "found" or otherwise delisting it from "stolen" or whatever status it was.

It will be removed from NCIC once it’s back in my possession, I just have to call the police and let them know it’s home.

I didn't spend my whole career working on NCIC, but I spent enough time to know some basics. And the training explicitly warns about cases of a gun S/N coming back "stolen", when it just happened to be the same series of numbers that belonged to a boat or a camera or a stereo.

Also, NCIC is like the internet plus criminal records: nothing ever disappears. It will be there forever, and if the person operating the terminal doesn't read all the details correctly, you're going to have a very bad day.

Is that really how it's configured so it's an SQL database that only allows insert or something?

We are talking about the gov, it would not surprise me.

Also, it wouldnt surprise me if the PoPp has to ask the CHSB to change the status, and that requires all sorts of internal approvals at the CHSB. Everyone is incompetent, working from home, the updates dont happen.

They cant keep track which guns you sold, and you fill a damn form online.

That being said, I wouldnt go as far as selling it. If you are really worried, ask the PoPo how the process works. If they tell you they will update it, go a month later with the serial and ask them to run it again, see what it shows as. But that is too much in my opinion.

I would call them and follow up with an Email to the Chief, and maybe someone else at the ATF. Print the Email, and forward it to your secondary email account and your wife's Email. Done.

Write only database. Good luck removing anything...
Is that really how it's configured so it's an SQL database that only allows insert or something?

Actually, per MGL Chap. 140 Sec 128A "The department of criminal justice information services shall keep a record of any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section and shall provide the seller and purchaser with verification of such sale or transfer.” Which means that they are supposedly only tracking transfer transactions, The Commonwealth goes through great machinations to claim that Mass. does not have a gun registry, just a “transaction log”. (See :MetroWest Daily News ) As a transaction log, it does make sense that you would never delete anything from it. In the normal database world, the transaction log is there for you to be able to replicate missing transactions if you have to restore your database to some earlier state due to some technical problem. If you needed to delete a record, you would not delete the log record of the transaction that created it; you would do another transaction to delete it (which would create yet another entry in the log file). However, in that normal world you would delete that log file every time you backed-up the database (normally at least daily), so you could not recreate the database from just the most recent log. In the FA10 case, the Commonwealth keeps the transaction log forever. Thus, if they decide they wanted a gun registry database, they could easily create one from the “transaction log file".

Last edited:
bought a Tavor X95 from Great Road Firearms 2 yrs ago. They ordered it and it shipped from Interstate arms and then disappeared. UPS told them it had been delivered and signed for, GF said they never signed for it. UPS kept blowing them off and finally a business owner a few doors down walked in and handed them the box telling them it had been delivered to them by accident. WTF?

Last update: She made it home and is safe, even though it was required to show ID and be older than 21 to accept the package UPS left it on my doorstep!

I have re-registerd it on the mass gun portal, I had it removed from NCIC database and I have the confirmation number for proof and the ATF was emailed that it was found and home.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions, if you ever unfortunately run into the same issue and have any questions let me know.

P.S. UPS Blows

Glad this ended well. Sadly every shipping company sucks.
Yeah, they all have their bad days. They get a sub on a route, or have to bring in a contractor, or just have the stuff go sideways. They all suck.

There is no perfection in this world. And before someone says their mother's cooking, sure, maybe... but not my mother's cooking. That was some really imperfect stuff.

It's a shoebox in a closet in Quincy with a slit in the top and the lid is duct-taped.
Exactly, except it's not one trailer, it's hundreds. Expect to see UPS leasing trailers soon.
There was a tale that Spag kept his inventory in hundreds of tractor trailers
because it wasn't taxable or the bills weren't payable until it was "delivered".

It's a shoebox in a closet in Quincy with a slit in the top and the lid is duct-taped.

There was a tale that Spag kept his inventory in hundreds of tractor trailers
because it wasn't taxable or the bills weren't payable until it was "delivered".

Massachusetts assesses an annual excise tax on C Corporations that includes a 2.6% tax on tangible assets. Park a million dollars worth of inbound inventory in trailers so it is not yet received at the end of the tax year and you just saved $26,000. Not chump change.

I think vendors would not be fooled by the trailer trick but you never know.

The guy probably figured out trailers were cheaper than warehouses. The trailer trick also potentially eliminates double handling.

Massachusetts assesses an annual excise tax on C Corporations that includes a 2.6% tax on tangible assets. Park a million dollars worth of inbound inventory in trailers so it is not yet received at the end of the tax year and you just saved $26,000. Not chump change.

I think vendors would not be fooled by the trailer trick but you never know.
I hedged, because the story I heard was "taxes",
but the tale I found online was the accounts payable version.

Both may be BS. Although Spag definitely had the fleet of trailers,
and not just contiguous to the store.

5 UPS employees arrested for stealing guns from incoming packages
LEXINGTON, S.C. – A gun theft ring at a midlands UPS hub was busted last week by Lexington County deputies. The guns were stolen from incoming packages at the shipping company’s hub in West Columbia.

Byron Burke, 19, Jalen Green, 19, Dishon Kinney, 18, Kenyon Peters, 18, and Tre’von Williams, 19, face charges of breach of trust. Kinney and Peters are also charged with criminal conspiracy.

UPS’s security team notified the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department that guns were being stolen from incoming trucks. LCSD says Kinney and Peters devised the plan and that all five men sold the guns or gave them away while on company time.

We already lease trailers. It's an utter shit show at UPS right now. It was getting better right before July first. I was on vacation the last three weeks and came back to a total mess.

What are the little brown trailers used for? To carry excess packages to their general delivery area? I've seen one several times in past weeks, parked in the lot in the center of town. Never saw them before all this crap started.

That's a TP-60. The package car brings that to the first couple of bulk stops at the beginning of the day. Once empty the driver parks it and leaves it till the end of day. I never pulled one but I think they may use them for pick ups also. We've been using those for years.

Thanks for the info. Never saw them before and was wondering what they were for.

That's a TP-60. The package car brings that to the first couple of bulk stops at the beginning of the day. Once empty the driver parks it and leaves it till the end of day. I never pulled one but I think they may use them for pick ups also. We've been using those for years.
There's a distribution center about 12 miles from me, so I regularly see little brown trailers behind the BBT.

That's a TP-60.
TP-60? That's old and busted.
49bdyt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom