UPS Lost my firearm?

It's just backed up. It was in an unmarked box correct. I had a UPS package say on truck for delivery for a week and a RMR sit at Springfield USPS for 3 weeks not moving. They both eventually got delivered.

Went thru the same ages ago told UPS I was going to call BATFE,local and state police to report the "loss". A few hours later they found my firearm.

I'd say report it to the ATF, I'm pretty damn sure an ATF agent asking about it puts a fire under their butts. There's a record of where that package was. The ATF guy can subpoena the record and start tracking it down person by person.

Whose duty is it to report a shipped firearm missing ? The shipper, the reciever, or both. And who do you report it missing to, the athorities at the shippers end, or the recievers end ? OR if it goes missing say in a state located halfway between the shipper and reciever ? In the case of buying a firearm online and it goes missing, why should the reciever report it missing, because if it wasnt recieved, then you were never in poseesion of it, it wasnt logged into your inventory. IMO, It would still be owned by the shipping company at that point. Once a pkg. is given to a shipper, ie. fedex or ups or usps, the pkg then becomes their property until it is signed for or delivered. Why should i report it missing when it isnt in my possesion yet ?

It's just backed up. It was in an unmarked box correct. I had a UPS package say on truck for delivery for a week and a RMR sit at Springfield USPS for 3 weeks not moving. They both eventually got delivered.
UPS (and FedEx) had internal theft rings that were stealing and selling firearms. They know where things come from are gun mfrs/dealers and act accordingly. So the longer it is "missing" the less chance of ever finding it until there is a body attached to it.

I would report it as well, just as a CYA and so your local LO can't claim you personally never reported it come renewal time and deny you
Agreed, never hurts to notify BATFE too.

Is that on the mass firearms portal or by calling them
Call your PD to report it, go on the portal and report it there too (the two never talk to each other, so both are necessary), then call BATFE. (888) 930-9275 is the direct number for reporting lost/stolen. You could send an Email to BATFE with all the details (tracking number, to/from info, what it is, who you are, etc.) to [email protected]

Whose duty is it to report a shipped firearm missing ? The shipper, the reciever, or both. And who do you report it missing to, the athorities at the shippers end, or the recievers end ? OR if it goes missing say in a state located halfway between the shipper and reciever ? In the case of buying a firearm online and it goes missing, why should the reciever report it missing, because if it wasnt recieved, then you were never in poseesion of it, it wasnt logged into your inventory. IMO, It would still be owned by the shipping company at that point. Once a pkg. is given to a shipper, ie. fedex or ups or usps, the pkg then becomes their property until it is signed for or delivered. Why should i report it missing when it isnt in my possesion yet ?
Two reasons:

1. BATFE won't agree with you and it will cost you! For anyone with a FFL/C&R FFL, Form F330.6 is required as is the phone call within 2 days. Go to www.atf.gov and plug F3310.6 into the search box to see what info and by who is required for reporting.
2. If you don't want your gun (if you paid for it, there are records that will point to you) not "out there" literally on the street and perhaps used to murder someone. The sooner and more reports filed, the better chance it is "found" before it disappears completely.

So it looks like the FFL has reported the lost firearm to ATF, do I also need to report it to my local police/state police.

While you can, you're going to have to find a jurisdiction that will take the report. Your home town probably won't be interested as the loss/theft didn't occur there. The location of the package's departure would probably be the best bet. You want it entered into the Stolen Gun file. The ATF may do that themselves. We had on of the biggest UPS hubs on the eastern NY region and I never saw the ATF contact us with a stolen firearm report and I know some went missing.

I call them "OOPS" for a reason.

I still honestly trust them more than FedEx Ground (FedEx Air is ok. Ish )

Shipped 900-2500 packages in and out every day at a small business for a few years. UPS damaged two instruments, and both were covered. One is sitting in my basement right now and has served me for 19 years after being ran over by UPS.

We switched to FedEx for a month once. 30% slump day fail rates. Got a more senior driver second week and no benefits.

Today its a different beast of an IoT world. RFID tags on packages should just be a thing. Barcodes are only as good as the randomness of glue and moisture.

Hope you find your kit!

I’m going to report everything but in the case that UPS finds in the next week what would I have to do. Just inform local, mass portal and atf that it was found?

Two reasons:

1. BATFE won't agree with you and it will cost you! For anyone with a FFL/C&R FFL, Form F330.6 is required as is the phone call within 2 days. Go to www.atf.gov and plug F3310.6 into the search box to see what info and by who is required for reporting.
2. If you don't want your gun (if you paid for it, there are records that will point to you) not "out there" literally on the street and perhaps used to murder someone. The sooner and more reports filed, the better chance it is "found" before it disappears completely.
FOB matters for shipping responsibility, but BAtF stuff is beyond the normal law.

I'm with the 2 days thing. This would have been declared. A computer somewhere in UPS knows it is a firearm or machine parts (which is basically handled like it) and something should shake out.

So, How does a Firearm....get mailed back to a Non FFL person via UPS. Does not compute.

What about a New or Current FBI Nics check to insure that a Prohibited person does not receive it?

You were waiting for something like an AK "Assault Rifle" or a "Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt Range" to simply get mailed back?

Last edited:
I’m going to report everything but in the case that UPS finds in the next week what would I have to do. Just inform local, mass portal and atf that it was found?
Yes.

The last thing you want is for them to continue looking for it and find out you had it and didnt say anything.

Shipping firearms with UPS
UPS has special restrictions on who individuals can ship firearms to, as well as who an individual can receive them from. Currently, shipment and receiving are limited to:

• Licensed importers
  • Licensed manufacturers
  • Licensed dealers
  • Licensed collectors
Doesnt a LTC make you a licensed collector?

Shipping firearms with UPS
UPS has special restrictions on who individuals can ship firearms to, as well as who an individual can receive them from. Currently, shipment and receiving are limited to:

• Licensed importers
  • Licensed manufacturers
  • Licensed dealers
  • Licensed collectors

As a firearm licensed owner, you are allowed to ship back to licensed manufacturer for repair, and they are allowed to ship it back to you the owner. You do not need to go thru an FFL to do this. When you ship it though, you must declare it as a firearm....

There isn't one. They don't want the public calling local distribution centers. The only way I can get to Chelmsford is through my UPS Account Rep.
This is like "we don't have a restroom" when what is meant is "there is one, but you can't use it".

So, How does a Firearm....get mailed back to a Non FFL person via UPS. Does not compute.

What about a New or Current FBI Nics check to insure that a Prohibited person does not receive it?

You were waiting for something like an AK "Assault Rifle" or a "Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt Range" to simply get mailed back?

I send it in for repair to the factory, they fix it and send it back to me. Why is that so hard to understand. It isn't a new firearm and isn't being transferred to a new owner. It is basically a hammer.

I shipped a 1911 to a gunsmith (god by little lake on street of cows) and they delivered it to the wrong house. This was back before Jacques f'ed us and home based FFLs were common, not not to many had the amount of machinery this gun ran in his basement. Fedex it on the porch at the wrong house. When I told them what was in it, they sent out a driver to fetch and redeliver (it was still on the porch) and a Fedex envelope with a refund of my shipping fee arrived the next morning.

There isn't one. They don't want the public calling local distribution centers. The only way I can get to Chelmsford is through my UPS Account Rep.
Do they have a front door? Easy to put off someone on the phone, a lot harder when they are standing in front of you.

I must be missing something.. The package will most likely get delivered. All carriers are backed up right now and running a few days + behind on scheduled delivery dates. So why go inviting all of these different agencies into your business?!

You will probably spend a lot more time trying to get them out of your business after the package shows up in a few days.

If the package shows delivered and it is not at your house, sure, have at it. But the package is still in transit, right? Out for Delivery means that it is most likely at your local hub and will be delivered soon. You could also try having them put a ‘hold for pickup’ on the package.

As a firearm licensed owner, you are allowed to ship back to licensed manufacturer for repair, and they are allowed to ship it back to you the owner. You do not need to go thru an FFL to do this. When you ship it though, you must declare it as a firearm....
Also any licensed dealer or gunsmith for work on the gun/repair and back to you directly.

I must be missing something.. The package will most likely get delivered. All carriers are backed up right now and running a few days + behind on scheduled delivery dates. So why go inviting all of these different agencies into your business?!

You will probably spend a lot more time trying to get them out of your business after the package shows up in a few days.

If the package shows delivered and it is not at your house, sure, have at it. But the package is still in transit, right? Out for Delivery means that it is most likely at your local hub and will be delivered soon. You could also try having them put a ‘hold for pickup’ on the package.
They are going to be crawling up UPS back, not the guy who reports it missing. If UPS can't give him a clue where it is, there is a very distinct possibility that it could be a victim of internal theft (they over label it and deliver it to a drop address where they pick it up later and sell it). If it turns up, you report it found to the same agencies and go on with life. No tinfoil needed.

ETA: I have NO sympathy for "how backed up they are", That is their problem, not the gun dealer's or gun owner.

Mine was lost years ago, when a package didn't move for five days it was usually lost. Not pandemic slowed down. I hope this one turns up.

I did order books by U.S. Mail recently with tracking twice they didn't move for seven days and took twenty-eight days to arrive. So anything is possible.

Do they have a front door? Easy to put off someone on the phone, a lot harder when they are standing in front of you.

Check the Yelp reviews: UPS Customer Center - Chelmsford, MA

I've never been up there myself but this is the drill, apparently: "This is an odd place. You have to go here if you have missed your UPS pickup and they have given up on trying to deliver it to you. Firstly, it is in the middle of nowhere, its desolate, you feel like you are driving to Area 51.

Secondly, they have very strict rules here. Parcel pickup is only from 8:15pm till 9:15pm. You have to stand outside the building in line till exactly 8:16pm (the UPS guys watch is running one minute late) before they let the line move into the building. This is rather unfortunate if it is below zero degrees or snowing heavily."

I'd love to get in there and see what's actually going on. I imagine they have a huge area full of jumbled "lost" packages, sort of like the gubmint warehouse at the end of Raiders Of The Lost Ark. I have a lost $250.00 package in there somewhere.

They could probably get it sorted if new packages stopped coming for a week...or two...maybe.

The manufacturer is even allowed to directly a ship a replacement of like or similar kind with a different serial number, though none of the major manufacturers (that I know of) will do this.

Back
Top Bottom