• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UPDATE!! Modified my red dot sight for fiber optic, no batteries! pics included.

Only the light above the stove was on. Not particularly bright in the room. With only the TV from the living room shining into the kitchen, the dot is still pretty bright. I was surprised.

So the lighting might be equivalent to half an hour after sunset? Light is focused on or from
the fiber optic tip? I don't quite understand the physics. Also the mirror in a red dot sight is designed to reflect only the red spectrum... So your red colored fiber optic matches that requirement.

So the lighting might be equivalent to half an hour after sunset? Light is focused on or from
the fiber optic tip? I don't quite understand the physics. Also the mirror in a red dot sight is designed to reflect only the red spectrum... So your red colored fiber optic matches that requirement.

So this wouldn't work with a green or blue fiber optic then?

So this wouldn't work with a green or blue fiber optic then?

I think you'd have to use a matching color. The mirror lets through other color spectra and reflects only the LED spectrum, if my reading is correct.
For a green dot sight, I'd use green fiber optic. Of course I can be very wrong.

Last edited:
I think you'd have to use a matching color. The mirror lets through other color spectra and reflects only the LED spectrum, if my reading is correct.
For a green dot sight, I'd use green fiber optic. Of course I can be very wrong.

That is my understanding as well. The optic I used was originally both a red and a green dot sight. I believe a green fiber optic would work in it just as well as the red one.

The light enters the fiber optic strand from all angles and is emitted from the cut ends. Some light exits the sides but most of it comes out of the ends. It's an awesome piece of material.

Some of the ideas/suggestions here remind me of the weaver Quick Point...

weaverl_zpsefdaa0a8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty awesome. Make another exactly like the one you just posted and I'll buy it from you :)

When I installed the green fiber I bent it to sharply which greatly reduced the brightness of the dot in the optic. Needles to say I was very disappointed. I removed the green fiber and used a red fiber I had. Performed the same operation as with the green dot, making the dot a circle rather than a solid dot.

I was concerned with a brightness problem by blacking out the center of the fiber but the brightness is really good. I got the optic sighted in and tired some long range shots.

After using both the solid dot and the circle I prefer the circle. At close ranges the circle will fit within a target just fine. At range the empty dot allows the target to be seen rather than being obscured by a solid dot.

I fired a lot of rounds today with no problems with the optic what so ever. It remained at zero and is easy to use.

Even though it's made from a cheap Walmart optic I'm happy with it. Maybe one day I'll buy a nice Aimpoint but for now this will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom