Un-tacticooling a tactical Mini 14

SDG

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a mini-14 tactical used, with the intention of removing all the tactical stuff and putting it back into a wood stock. I know the tactical look is all the rage nowadays, but I’ve always been a trend bucker. Anyone have experience doing this? Midway the best place to get the stock?

Personally, I think you should go wood... and tactical, 80s style:

Samson worked with Ruger to make it authentic to the original folding stock.

View attachment 398292

View attachment 398293
Nickel plated and wood is the way to go.

OP, it is nice to see someone remove all that airsoft junk from the rifles. Even though you didn't say it, we know you think it looks GAY AF! and I agree.

I dont know the best place to buy a stock. But a stock is a stock, unless you are looking for something different, something fancy? ... just make sure you Google whatever brand you will buy to make sure it fits as expected.

I never purchased from these guys, but they seem to have a couple of different stocks.

I still regret not getting the stainless folder AC556 that I fondled at Greg’s

Personally, I think you should go wood... and tactical, 80s style:

Samson worked with Ruger to make it authentic to the original folding stock.

View attachment 398292

View attachment 398293

you see this is why I come to NES for all of my knowledge, I didn’t even know this was an option, just need to find a killer set of black gloves now.

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a mini-14 tactical used, with the intention of removing all the tactical stuff and putting it back into a wood stock. I know the tactical look is all the rage nowadays, but I’ve always been a trend bucker. Anyone have experience doing this? Midway the best place to get the stock?
OK. Glad you asked. I am stuck with FID and my wife, born in Canada and raised from an infant in Louisiana, has a resident alien rifle/shotgun license. We cannot possess hi-cap guns or mags in MA. I keep 12 gauge 870s, modified for combat, as home defense weapons. Since Jill cannot handle the recoil of 12 gauge slugs and buckshot, we went to NH and got her a stainless Ruger Mini 14. ranch rifle in .223 caliber. It has a black synthetic stock and we got a bunch of 10 round magazines to go with it. She keeps it loaded with M193 ball in a quick-access gun safe, along with a fully loaded 870. MA FID legal and MA safe storage legal.

The Samson folding stocks are easy to massify with one of these shaved down and fixed into the folding mechanism plunger.
008236708318.jpg

Also a Choate ventilated hanguard or this potential Federal Ordinance repro look 10x better than the factory garbage.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mini14/comments/j7nyge/this_just_in_prototype_reproduction_of_the_rare/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdQkhKnMncI

The Samson folding stocks are easy to massify with one of these shaved down and fixed into the folding mechanism plunger.
008236708318.jpg

Also a Choate ventilated hanguard or this potential Federal Ordinance repro look 10x better than the factory garbage.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mini14/comments/j7nyge/this_just_in_prototype_reproduction_of_the_rare/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdQkhKnMncI

So folding stocks are a no no I’m MA then. Wasn’t sure if that was just ARs and AKs or if there was a mini 14 loop hole. Definitely good to know.

So folding stocks are a no no I’m MA then. Wasn’t sure if that was just ARs and AKs or if there was a mini 14 loop hole. Definitely good to know.
If the Mini14 was made prior to 1994 you can. Otherwise you need to fix the folding stock, which is easy to do. The plunger button that locks the stock folded open or closed is retained by a pin on the inside of the mounting plate resting on a slotted shoulder of the plunger. You shave down a spacer to fill that shoulder down to a pin hole eliminating the ability of the plunger to move, open the stock, push the pin in to lock the stock open, and screw the base plate back to the wood portion of the stock. I have better directions in the General Mini14 thread. But essentially you can easily pin the stock to comply with MA law by fully disassembling, using the factory pin and a spacer super glued in the right spot, and reassembling.

F58D4AEF-C27B-4CFD-9E23-729036265609-1585745.jpg

This isn't mine. But those stocks look nice on newer Mini14s. Especially with the shorter 16" tactical barrels

If the Mini14 was made prior to 1994 you can. Otherwise you need to fix the folding stock, which is easy to do. The plunger button that locks the stock folded open or closed is retained by a pin on the inside of the mounting plate resting on a slotted shoulder of the plunger. You shave down a spacer to fill that shoulder down to a pin hole eliminating the ability of the plunger to move, open the stock, push the pin in to lock the stock open, and screw the base plate back to the wood portion of the stock. I have better directions in the General Mini14 thread. But essentially you can easily pin the stock to comply with MA law by fully disassembling, using the factory pin and a spacer super glued in the right spot, and reassembling.

F58D4AEF-C27B-4CFD-9E23-729036265609-1585745.jpg

This isn't mine. But those stocks look nice on newer Mini14s. Especially with the shorter 16" tactical barrels

awesome. Thanks for the info.

All joking aside, I’d probably just stick with a traditional wood stock if you have a post-94 Mini-14. Then you can have a flash hider and don’t need to worry about pinning a muzzle device. Though, if your mini-14 already has a pinned comp/brake then this point is kind of moot. Still, an all wood stock would be more comfortable than the A-Team stock if you’re going fixed stock anyway.

OK. Glad you asked. I am stuck with FID and my wife, born in Canada and raised from an infant in Louisiana, has a resident alien rifle/shotgun license. We cannot possess hi-cap guns or mags in MA. I keep 12 gauge 870s, modified for combat, as home defense weapons. Since Jill cannot handle the recoil of 12 gauge slugs and buckshot, we went to NH and got her a stainless Ruger Mini 14. ranch rifle in .223 caliber. It has a black synthetic stock and we got a bunch of 10 round magazines to go with it. She keeps it loaded with M193 ball in a quick-access gun safe, along with a fully loaded 870. MA FID legal and MA safe storage legal.

She should become a citizen.

OP converting it back could be harder than you think if it's an original 180 series. I picked one up with the upper handguard replaced with a rail. It took me 6 months to find a correct upper handguard, finally found a guy in CA on a Ruger forum that had one.

There is nothing like classic wood and steel.

I love Mini 14 threads.

me too!

@Robin Proctor
look into the hogue mini 14 stock. it may not be wood but it looks slick and is very functional

IMG_4863.JPG
IMG_4862.JPG

me too!

@Robin Proctor
look into the hogue mini 14 stock. it may not be wood but it looks slick and is very functional

View attachment 398546
View attachment 398547

yeah looks pretty good. I’m probably ordering one tonight, I might actually buy the hogue and a wood one and see which I like better.

Like others have already mentioned, but I forgot to add, if your mini is post 1994 manufacture, in MA to put on pistol grip stock, even with the folding portion pinned, you still run up to the feature limit with a threaded barrel and will have to put on a compliant muzzle device (brake/compensator - no flash hiders) permanently pinned/welded on.

Hi guys,

In all seriousness, try eBay. Here's a really nice factory walnut stock:

Like others have already mentioned, but I forgot to add, if your mini is post 1994 manufacture, in MA to put on pistol grip stock, even with the folding portion pinned, you still run up to the feature limit with a threaded barrel and will have to put on a compliant muzzle device (brake/compensator - no flash hiders) permanently pinned/welded on.

yeah it has/had the pistol grip and pretty sure it’s post 1994. Looks like it has very few rounds. i removed the tactical stock this morning so it’s naked right now. I bought a wooden fixed stock this morning.

I've got a mini 30 tactical I bought in a 2nd hand "new in box" situation because it was just simply a good deal. Somehow it came out of the box as a good reliable one too, shit luck.

Has that crazy ATI folding & sliding thing. Honestly works OK but is stupid and has been on my to-do list for awhile. Either will get a factory or similar black polymer stock or one of the simple folders for it.

I have a mini 14 in the 16 inch non threaded stainless version and to me that's how a mini should feel, short & light, iron sights, a simple practical auto loader.

Back
Top Bottom