• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Un-tacticooling a tactical Mini 14

Personally, I think you should go wood... and tactical, 80s style:

Samson worked with Ruger to make it authentic to the original folding stock.

View attachment 398292

View attachment 398293

About ten years ago I had the chance to buy what possibly was that very machine gun. At least one of those machine guns was a pre-86 transferable and it’s been sold a few times. It came with all of the provenance tying it to the show including a bunch of pics in action and behind the scenes. It was in remarkable condition for a movie prop but the price was inflated about 4K due to the A-Team connection. They don’t make the greatest full auto guns but the A-Team made them look cool.

OP, if you (or anyone else) is looking at a hogue overmolded I have one that was on my 182 series. Pay for shipping or meet in Springfield area with a medium cream and sugar.

I own the KAC556...Full auto mini 14 folder...It’s basically like a 1022 on steroids and it’s semi automatic version. It’s really not a bad firearm. But if you’re going to debate firearm law to put some folder on your post ban mini..Just buy a pre-bad, be done with it...
My opinion the only thing interesting about it is the select fire mechanism. Runs better on full auto than three round burst, that’s all I can tell you..

Side-note I havent hough the mini 14 was specifically exempt from the assault weapons ban? But maybe after your Readd the killy features it’s a problem?

Either way I think I need a bayonet for mine

You still have that Hogue?

BTW I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but you may need a handguard and forend liner which is what I ran into with mine. Basically the tactical stock thing has a different style liner and guard that can't be used with a normal stock. I think the stocks they sell also don't include the parts because normally you have them. Not expensive, Ruger brand guard $25 and Midway sells the liner for $7.00.

I'm perpetually confused as to the mini 14 and mass law.
I'm under the impression that even though they were exempted from the AWB, you still can't add extra killy features if it wasn't originally configured that way.
And then since it's not considered an "AW", can a pre '94 be reconfigured as one?
And what about the slip on, factory pinned but non welded, muzzle device? Looks like a flash suppressor... It's not a threaded barrel but...

I'm under the impression that even though they were exempted from the AWB, you still can't add extra killy features if it wasn't originally configured that way.
And then since it's not considered an "AW", can a pre '94 be reconfigured as one?
And what about the slip on, factory pinned but non welded, muzzle device? Looks like a flash suppressor... It's not a threaded barrel but...
They are NOT exempt from the AWB. They’re just not explicitly banned by name. They are still subject to feature restrictions.

A preban one would technically have needed to exist at some point in an AW configuration prior to Sep 94 if you want to add “assault weapon” features. But it would be hard to prove it never was in an assault weapon configuration before 1994z

But it would be hard to prove it never was in an assault weapon configuration before 1994z
Ruger has a database of the factory configuration by serial # if the state wanted to jack someone up over it. Some of the Government Barrel versions came with a traditional stock.

Ruger has a database of the factory configuration by serial # if the state wanted to jack someone up over it. Some of the Government Barrel versions came with a traditional stock.
Yeah, but any owner could change it up between when it was bought and Sep 1994 by slapping on a folding stock with pistol grip. Unless the state gets all pre-94 owners to say they were in original configuration the whole time.

BTW I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but you may need a handguard and forend liner which is what I ran into with mine. Basically the tactical stock thing has a different style liner and guard that can't be used with a normal stock. I think the stocks they sell also don't include the parts because normally you have them. Not expensive, Ruger brand guard $25 and Midway sells the liner for $7.00.
mine came tacticalled with a stock that normally would fold if it wasn't pinned. I needed no extra parts just slipped it into its new wood stock and kapow shooting minutes of barn in no time.

mine came tacticalled with a stock that normally would fold if it wasn't pinned. I needed no extra parts just slipped it into its new wood stock and kapow shooting minutes of barn in no time.

Below is what mine came with, forward grip I added. Works fine but is just wierd. NH so not a problem, just wanted a regular synthetic stock.

20210324_131903.jpg

They are NOT exempt from the AWB. They’re just not explicitly banned by name. They are still subject to feature restrictions.

A preban one would technically have needed to exist at some point in an AW configuration prior to Sep 94 if you want to add “assault weapon” features. But it would be hard to prove it never was in an assault weapon configuration before 1994z
but they are specifically named on the exempt list

but they are specifically named on the exempt list
That “exempt list” you’re talking about is only made up of rifles that Healey says are not copies or duplicates of enumerated assault weapons. It has nothing to do with the semiautomatic, detacheable magazine, rifle feature restrictions.

That “exempt list” you’re talking about is only made up of rifles that Healey says are not copies or duplicates of enumerated assault weapons. It has nothing to do with the semiautomatic, detacheable magazine, rifle feature restrictions.
Should I tell him???

The exempt list was part of the Fed ban that was made part of the State law. It specifically names exempt firearms including the mini 14. It has nothing to do with Healey, pre-dates her by decades. BTW the 10/22 is also on the list.
1616633780356.png
Meaning the law didn't apply to the listed firearms in a configuration in which they were manufactured in 1993. It does not mean that they had to be manufactured before Oct 1, 1993.

There is a confusing portion. Does it mean you can't put a folding stock on it if it was made after Oct. 1, 1993. Or does it mean you CAN take a normal stocked mini-14 ("as such firearms were manufactured"), and you can alter it since the law doesn't apply to it?

1616633702458.png

Should I tell him???

The exempt list was part of the Fed ban that was made part of the State law. It specifically names exempt firearms including the mini 14. It has nothing to do with Healey, pre-dates her by decades. BTW the 10/22 is also on the list.
View attachment 465411
Meaning the law didn't apply to the listed firearms in a configuration in which they were manufactured in 1993. It does not mean that they had to be manufactured before Oct 1, 1993.

There is a confusing portion. Does it mean you can't put a folding stock on it if it was made after Oct. 1, 1993. Or does it mean you CAN take a normal stocked mini-14 ("as such firearms were manufactured"), and you can alter it since the law doesn't apply to it?

View attachment 465410
Oh yeah, the Appendix A. The crazy list mostly of guns that would be exempt anyway. I always forget about it because it is mostly manually operated guns.

So you can have both a flash hider and a bayonet lug, so there’s that. The fact that “w/o folding stock” is specified, would seem to mean a folding stock mini-14 is not exempt.

Oh yeah, the Appendix A. The crazy list mostly of guns that would be exempt anyway. I always forget about it because it is mostly manually operated guns.

So you can have both a flash hider and a bayonet lug, so there’s that. The fact that “w/o folding stock” is specified, would seem to mean a folding stock mini-14 is not exempt.
But by that logic, a folding stock mini-30 would be

But by that logic, a folding stock mini-30 would be
I'd assume that's because the mini thirty wasn't offered as a folder, leading me to think the original manufactured config of the individual gun would play into this.

Last edited:
Im not a huge fan but I think the 14 GB-F was introduced before 1994

Back
Top Bottom