TV firearm handling annoyances

I don't know anything about pulling slides or ripping of organs from bodies, but I've been practicing my bullet curving skillz, and spend many a nights dry firing while whipping my M&P in a frisbee throwing motion. Hopefully the dry firing practice will payoff when I test this at the range.

I don't know anything about pulling slides or ripping of organs from bodies, but I've been practicing my bullet curving skillz, and spend many a nights dry firing while whipping my M&P in a frisbee throwing motion. Hopefully the dry firing practice will payoff when I test this at the range.

Name of range and time you plan on practicing please....

Dismantle any gun, no. But disarm someone with a gun, well I could teach you how but then I would have to… well you know how the rest of that goes. You may think I am kidding but I am not and I am not allowed to tell you how. Lets put it this way I know how to do it and it is very hard if not impossible to defend against even if you know it is coming.

Oh lord. [shocked]

I'm confident that I could shoot you without you disarming me.

TV guy firing a pistol (lets say a Bren Ten) in a narrow concrete and tile hallway several times with no ear protection, and the next 5 minutes of dialogue somehow is not "Huh?", "What?", "Do you hear bells?" and "Did you say something?".

What about the movie shoot 'em up? The guy Skydive with other 20 or so people, shoot them all and all of them landed on the same spot, not to mencion that he shot like 40 times with the same mag.

Ish.

2005_tj_hooker_season12_001.jpg

hooker-cast.jpg

Good lord, do you realize the last little vestige of a memory of that show had just left my mind?!!?

This technique is very situational dependent. I am not saying that under any circumstances that one using this technique can disarm anyone. And I am not saying that it is the preferred method. If I have my weapon trained on an armed bad guy I am not going to put it down and try to disarm them. But it is a very effective method of disarming someone when they already have the drop on you. It is actually quicker then trying to draw and hoping that they don’t pull the trigger while you do. I would hope that I am situational aware enough to never let anyone get the drop on my but it is nice to know how to handle the situation if it were to ever arise.

I will add that I wish I could teach all people with a LTC this technique. But I wouldn’t want the bad guys to know it but they probably already do.

Just wondering if you have ever used the screen name gecko45 on any other forum?

Chris

the sad thing is, I have an annoying coworker who thinks she knows everything. SHe is taking some sort of martial arts of some sort, but really it jsut sounds like a combo of ju jitsu, kick boxing, some karate and some krav maga type shit. She is going for her red belt, whatever that is supposed to mean, as she doenst study anyone discipline, but a combo of many.

Well, she acts like the expert on all of these styles, and boasts about how she was taught in her self defense class that she can dismantle an attacker's gun as it is pointed at her. I called bullshit and explained why, and she said, "well, I can do it, so it can be done."

I do nothing but shake my head and wonder how she was fed all this crap. It is sickening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjdK9p6vo3o

Never have and hopefully never will.[laugh2]

I am sorry that I have come across to you that way. There are no ninja skills required just an interesting application of the laws of physics.

You wouldn't, perchance, be one of those guys that flies fighter jets?

In the words of Bond...

"I've smelled that aftershave before, and both times I've smelled a rat..."

-Mike

And I once shoot the knife out of the hand of a perp.

Well theoretically that’s what would have happened. During a FATS exercise (Fire Arm Training Simulator) as my on screen partner was being attached by a vagrant with a knife (boy did that happen fast) I fired 2 shots to STOP the perp. I didn’t need the third. My first shot didn’t count but the second (K5) one did. I was amazed that during the replay of the scenario my first shot hit the back of the perps hand holding the knife, that at that point the blade was about 2 inches from penetrating my on screen partner. I was in no way aiming for his hand; I was told that since I was concentrating on the treat (the Knife) and my training I hit the threat. It was probably a fluke of a shot. So my take is anyone who says why didn’t he shoot the knife out of his hand has no idea what they are talking about. Even though my second shot counted, my on screen partner still got stabbed. My situation was just a training exercise and it all happened so fast.

Hmmmm......

Last edited:
Some of the worst gun handling and shooting is on Guns&Ammo TV. Especially Sheriff Jim Wilson, take off those stupid glasses and go back to the nursing home, no one cares about your stupid stories.

And John Scoutten on Shootingusa. Wow, you have a bad flinch and stop grinding your teeth when you shoot

[laugh] Too right!

I saw a video of a USPSA shooter who started a stage with a mag vertical on the table.
The stage required that you carry something from table to table, which he had in his left hand. He picked up his pistol, slammed it down on the vertical mag, and 'racked' the slide by just moving his arm violently back and forth. There was a lot of speculation that he had reduced power recoil springs - but apparently not. I think they called it the ninja start, and might be on youtube now.

OH movie continuity is a huge thing for me, I hate when people repeatedly load guns as they approach the building their going to breach. Obviously the never ending clip gets old. Blinking while firing is hugely frowned upon in any kind of military training i remember in boot camp getting screamed at for it. And you almost never see spent casings coming from hand gun fire. arg just thinking about it makes me mad.

Hmm...I may give that a try, but I'm pretty sure I can predict the outcome.

1) I'd miss the mag well and ram my arm down on the mag, cutting it open
2) Because of the bleeding, I'd have to switch the gun to my weak hand and carry the ammo can in my now bloody strong hand
3) The blood would cause me to drop the ammo can on my foot while I was running to the second table
4) I'd have to hop to the final stage because of my injured foot and would probably fall down on the way

My time would be awful, but I'd probably win the match because the other shooters would all be laughing too hard to compete.

What's that line from Magnum Force..."A man's got know his limitations."

If only they could get them back together, I'd go down to the nearest kung-fu school with a dirty MKIII.

Oh, that's easy...any low grade kung-fu practitioner can do it. You just gotta pull the thing...no...pull it harder...then yank...okay, you forgot to drop the firing pin, okay, now pull on that thing again, okay, now the bolt slides out...okay..yeah...that way..nonono! the other way..right, now get a hammer and beat the receiver off the frame

At least they'd get half the battle done for you [grin]

I was watching Ghost with a gal friend the other night, and I started yelling at the screen during the last scene where the guy is running around with a PPK (equipped with the bottomless mag) shooting padlocks and the locks off doors with one shot.

My friend looks at me and says, "We're watching a movie about a ghost that talks to a psychic from Brooklyn, and is throwing some guy around a room. And you're upset because shooting locks off doors is unrealistic???"

I guess it's because Mythbusters haven't proven that ghosts can't throw people around rooms uyet...

2 Bear Arm's technique is no secret.

If you watch Taken on a DVD player that allows you to advance frame by frame, it's all in there.

2 Bear Arm's technique is no secret.

If you watch Taken on a DVD player that allows you to advance frame by frame, it's all in there.

It is not my technique. I am sorry I ever posted anything about this. I was trying to be silly with my “but then I would have to…” statement but maybe it would have helped if I put a couple of smiley faces after it.

I just looked up that movie on my local library web site and one of the branches seems to have it on their shelf. I will try and get it today and check out that scene. Can you tell me where to look for it? I actually have no desire to watch the whole movie but will look for that scene and let you know if it is the technique I am referring to. I hope it is because then I see no reason if it is public to then not be able to show anyone I know how to do it. It is just one little thing to have in your bag of tricks its nothing more then that.

Bad guy has a shotgun, holding good guy at gunpoint. Every time good guy moves, bad guy pumps the action and no shell is ejected. It's like racking a pump action shotgun is only meant to scare the target.

However the most annoying "TV firearm handling annoyance" is: anytime a non-LEO has a gun and tries to use it for lawful self defense they end up shooting everyone but the bad guy.

Originally Posted by 2 Bear Arms View Post
This technique is very situational dependent. I am not saying that under any circumstances that one using this technique can disarm anyone. And I am not saying that it is the preferred method. If I have my weapon trained on an armed bad guy I am not going to put it down and try to disarm them. But it is a very effective method of disarming someone when they already have the drop on you. It is actually quicker then trying to draw and hoping that they don’t pull the trigger while you do. I would hope that I am situational aware enough to never let anyone get the drop on my but it is nice to know how to handle the situation if it were to ever arise.

I will add that I wish I could teach all people with a LTC this technique. But I wouldn’t want the bad guys to know it but they probably already do.

She probably trains at the youtube dojo. I hear its realistic and hardcore.

youtube dojo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom