TV firearm handling annoyances

There are certain things to keep in mind about Hollywood guns, they aren't like the guns you and I have.
Apart from the most obvious features such as never ending ammo and unusually loud slides, there are some other special things about Hollywood Guns.

They are easy to shoot- In Hollywood, any rifle equipped with a pistol grip can be easily fired one handed accurately. This would include AK-47's, M-16's, M-60's, Mac-10's, UZI's, etc. Do not attempt this at home, you will spray lead over a 60 yard area instead of a 6" area.
They also come with a "now I'm serious" slide that can be cycled without ejecting the chambered round, but makes a lot of noise to let your target know you are serious and done asking questions.

Hollywood guns only kill the victim if he is in the middle of the street or a field. He will instantly die, unless of course he is holding an automatic weapon at which point he will die and spray bullets into the air.
If this same man is in front of a window, the Hollywood gun has the amazing ability of being able to propel him backward through the window as if hit by a bus. If the man gets past the window and up on a balcony, the gun develops a magic vacuum power that will shoot him and then pull him up and over the railing. He will not die during this process, as evidenced by the long scream that accompanies this. The higher up, the louder the scream, especially deadly to guards in watchtowers.
If you are ever shot at by a Hollywood gun, pray it is a bad guy gun. These guns fire special shoulder-seeking bullets that can't hit any vital organs. Good guy guns are another story, if sprayed at a large crowd, good guy bullets always hit their targets.
This concludes today's lecture on Hollywood guns.

When guns are amazingly accurate (goes for rifles and handguns).

One of the first things everyone says when I teach them to shoot is how hard it is to hit the target.

The movies would have us believe that as long as the muzzle is pointed down range then the gun knows where to shoot.

When guns are amazingly accurate (goes for rifles and handguns).

One of the first things everyone says when I teach them to shoot is how hard it is to hit the target.

The movies would have us believe that as long as the muzzle is pointed down range then the gun knows where to shoot.

Pick a Western. Any Western.

There are certain things to keep in mind about Hollywood guns, they aren't like the guns you and I have.
Apart from the most obvious features such as never ending ammo and unusually loud slides, there are some other special things about Hollywood Guns.

They are easy to shoot- In Hollywood, any rifle equipped with a pistol grip can be easily fired one handed accurately. This would include AK-47's, M-16's, M-60's, Mac-10's, UZI's, etc. Do not attempt this at home, you will spray lead over a 60 yard area instead of a 6" area.
They also come with a "now I'm serious" slide that can be cycled without ejecting the chambered round, but makes a lot of noise to let your target know you are serious and done asking questions.

Hollywood guns only kill the victim if he is in the middle of the street or a field. He will instantly die, unless of course he is holding an automatic weapon at which point he will die and spray bullets into the air.
If this same man is in front of a window, the Hollywood gun has the amazing ability of being able to propel him backward through the window as if hit by a bus. If the man gets past the window and up on a balcony, the gun develops a magic vacuum power that will shoot him and then pull him up and over the railing. He will not die during this process, as evidenced by the long scream that accompanies this. The higher up, the louder the scream, especially deadly to guards in watchtowers.
If you are ever shot at by a Hollywood gun, pray it is a bad guy gun. These guns fire special shoulder-seeking bullets that can't hit any vital organs. Good guy guns are another story, if sprayed at a large crowd, good guy bullets always hit their targets.
This concludes today's lecture on Hollywood guns.

That was great.

I almost forgot the ultimate machine gun - able to blow up a jeep at 200 yards, in the dark, with the stock folded, from the hip, while smoking a cigar - but incapable of hitting people at any distance, the Ruger AC556!!!

attachment.php

[laugh2]

Attachments

• ateam1766027.jpg
    ateam1766027.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 200
Oh lord. [shocked]

I'm confident that I could shoot you without you disarming me.

Yes, but you would also not be dumb enough to do things like press the gun against him while uttering some inane statement about seeing him in hell.

Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

In Systema classes on weapon retention it was quite easy to disarm someone who was dumb enough to get too close. We used airsofts so there was an actual projectile so we could see the results.

I almost forgot the ultimate machine gun - able to blow up a jeep at 200 yards, in the dark, with the stock folded, from the hip, while smoking a cigar - but incapable of hitting people at any distance, the Ruger AC556!!!

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7697&stc=1&d=1260558590

[laugh2]

Ironically, those aren't 556s but plain vanilla 180 series mini14s with GB folding stocks put on after the fact (they aren't even GBs but standard stainless barrels) and the flash hider is an aftermarket hider. If you watch you will see that they are pulling the trigger to get the rapid fire effect. A-Team was done on a budget and getting FAs transported from state to state, etc was a cost they wanted to avoid.

Ironically, those aren't 556s but plain vanilla 180 series mini14s with GB folding stocks put on after the fact (they aren't even GBs but standard stainless barrels) and the flash hider is an aftermarket hider. If you watch you will see that they are pulling the trigger to get the rapid fire effect. A-Team was done on a budget and getting FAs transported from state to state, etc was a cost they wanted to avoid.

But they had a bitchin' van!

[rofl][laugh2]

It just keeps getting funnier......

attachment.php

[laugh2]

I hope that you know that the underlying point of the ATEAM was not to kill anyone. Everything was always for show. I think that most gun people do not understand the anti-violence theme of the ATEAM show. The final season was in total contrast to the first set of seasons and its' ratings tumbled. The public was not seeking a shoot 'em tv show.

This has nothing to do with firearms handling per se, but I was watching 'DEA' on Spike TV last night and at the end of the 10p-11p hour, the NJ DEA agents had busted a hydroponic marijuana dealer, (looked like tasty cake) and in doing so, ALL of the DEA Agents insisted that they had confiscated a 'MAC-10' machine gun. More than one, stated so on camera during their interviews and it was backed up my the narrator. over and over again 'MAC-10 Machine gun with laser sight". These are law enforcement officers for Christ's sake. What they seized was indeed a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 with a laser pointer which looked like it was taped to the barrel....[rolleyes]

The point of the A-Team was to build armored battering ram taxis cabs, tactical mine shaft carts and hairdryer powered flying trash bag chairs.

A/

I saw jack Bauer point his gun at Nina Myers forehead and threaten to kill her. I think he did , actually. But the slide was locked back as he threatened her.

B/ If I have trauma plates duct taped to my back and the boots than can climb walls then I'll take a pistol away from anyone. From 21 feet , as long as it's a 9mm and Not a .45.

Yes , I haz Teh D34dly.

This has nothing to do with firearms handling per se, but I was watching 'DEA' on Spike TV last night and at the end of the 10p-11p hour, the NJ DEA agents had busted a hydroponic marijuana dealer, (looked like tasty cake) and in doing so, ALL of the DEA Agents insisted that they had confiscated a 'MAC-10' machine gun. More than one, stated so on camera during their interviews and it was backed up my the narrator. over and over again 'MAC-10 Machine gun with laser sight". These are law enforcement officers for Christ's sake. What they seized was indeed a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 with a laser pointer which looked like it was taped to the barrel....[rolleyes]

I was watching that show the other day and saw an agent tuck a glock (no holster) into his waistband at the small of his back. What's up with that?

Those guys need to chill out on that show, all they talk about is how they are "always read to fight and come out with guns blazing" Lame

This has nothing to do with firearms handling per se, but I was watching 'DEA' on Spike TV last night and at the end of the 10p-11p hour, the NJ DEA agents had busted a hydroponic marijuana dealer, (looked like tasty cake) and in doing so, ALL of the DEA Agents insisted that they had confiscated a 'MAC-10' machine gun. More than once, stated so on camera during their interviews and it was backed up my the narrator. over and over again 'MAC-10 Machine gun with laser sight". These are law enforcement officers for Christ's sake. What they seized was indeed a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 with a laser pointer which looked like it was taped to the barrel....[rolleyes]

I was screaming at the TV when I saw this. I'm surprised the dealer didn't speak up and say something. Maybe he thought it was a Mac-10 too. [rofl]

I was watching that show the other day and saw an agent tuck a glock (no holster) into his waistband at the small of his back. What's up with that?

Those guys need to chill out on that show, all they talk about is how they are "always read to fight and come out with guns blazing" Lame

That bothered me too.

i know everyone here has seen GOODFELLAS. when henry's wife karen cayght him cheating on her, he woke up to her sitting on his chest with a snubnose revolver in his face! 1st rule of TV should be.....never show the barrel end of a revolver if it isn't loaded........dead giveaway!

Watching Chuck season 2 on disc right now and... holy cow, does no one use a holster???

And these are supposed to be deep cover pros. In one scene, not only is Sarah's little S&W Chief's Special printing like the New York Times' presses on a Saturday night, but she tap checks it on the way to a door as if to point out the rather obvious grip half sticking out of her jacket.

Watching Chuck season 2 on disc right now and... holy cow, does no one use a holster???

And these are supposed to be deep cover pros. In one scene, not only is Sarah's little S&W Chief's Special printing like the New York Times' presses on a Saturday night, but she tap checks it on the way to a door as if to point out the rather obvious grip half sticking out of her jacket.

Chuck is an intentional farce, or comedy. The writers/producers appear to be really anti gun too.

Chuck is an intentional farce, or comedy. The writers/producers appear to be really anti gun too.

I watch it for the Blonde girl. They seem to get her in a bikini or her underwear at least once per episode. [thumbsup]

Well, complaining about chucks gun handling is like a pilot complaining that Airplane! didn't accurately reflect life in the cockpit. Just saying... [grin]

Not really. Everything in Airplane! and its ilk is played for laughs. Chuck even was mentioned early on in this thread for its completely off opener showing the whole cartridge flying out of a pistol. After all, the thread is, "TV firearm handling annoyances," not "Reality TV firearm handling annoyances". [wink]

A Chuck episode slides in and out of a serious style, which is what makes it grabby and funny at the same time. In the first series, for example, Chuck flashes on a Chinese agent's gun and the screen briefly flicks past a schematic; lo and behold, if you freeze it, it really is a QSZ-92 in the schematic. Unfortunately, watched carefully, one can see the spy is actually using a pair of chromed BHP clones with grip panels with the red star. [laugh]

See, that's fun to pick over. It's "annoying" they didn't get it right down to the props, but funny, too -- spotting the gaffes embedded in the serious moments is half the fun.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but the one that really annoys me is Mythbusters. They always claim that they do everything with safety in mind, but when it comes to firearms handling they're complete morons. Things like the improper use of chamber flags by sticking them in the muzzle instead of the chamber, or Adam aimlessly waving a pistol around with no regard for safe direction, or even chambering a round through the ejection port on a semiauto. These not only don't teach someone the proper way to be safe, but they teach people that it's ok to be unsafe with firearms.

Back
Top Bottom