TSA to swab airline passengers' hands in search for explosives

February 17, 2010

To the list of instructions you hear at airport checkpoints, add this: "Put your palms forward, please."

The Transportation Security Administration soon will begin randomly swabbing passengers' hands at checkpoints and airport gates to test them for traces of explosives.

Previously, screeners swabbed some carry-on luggage and other objects as they searched for the needle in the security haystack -- components of terrorist bombs in an endless stream of luggage.

SOURCE

note to self: fondle guns, clean em before flying [laugh]

[rolleyes]

edit: bring my range bag as a "stunt double" carry one with a pair of dirty underwear and shooting gloves too....

The machines are so sensitive that alarms can sound for passengers who have recently taken heart pills containing nitroglycerin, or if they have recently fired guns, Jenkins said. The machines also are used on checked luggage

I once got pulled aside becasue my luggage came back as "positive", It was brand new luggage and it's first trip out. BUT I kept it near the heat vent in my apartment which was run by oil so that's the only reason I can think of for the positive results. That's what I told them for a possible reason and everything went through fine after they emptied my luggage and swabbed again on the inside.

There was a thread a long time ago on here where someone asked whether or not his range bag at the airport would set off the swab detector. And some people seemed to think that the swab machines only detect bomb making chemicals/agents... and that gun powder isn't exactly on that list as it only burns, and does not explode, when ignited. So having GSR on your hands shouldn't be any different.

But with the TSA... who knows.

There was a thread a long time ago on here where someone asked whether or not his range bag at the airport would set off the swab detector. And some people seemed to think that the swab machines only detect bomb making chemicals/agents... and that gun powder isn't exactly on that list as it only burns, and does not explode, when ignited. So having GSR on your hands shouldn't be any different.

But with the TSA... who knows.

what would you do at this point? Inform them you go shooting? Show them your permit? What? I can think of a few different things, but depending on the sheeple and the TSA stupidity, none of them would go over well even if they are an exact explanation of what you do (legally).

I seem to recall that during an episode of Dirty Jobs, Mike was working with a fireworks guy. He was covered in the materials for making the boomers, and commented that he and his team were going to be all sorts of fun going through security at the airport. The fireworks guy said that they should be fine, as the sniffers look more for organic explosives.

Who knows if the bit of unburnt powder left on your hands would be enough to trip the sensors.

Yeah, I know. The TV said it, so it must be true!

This is one of the smarter things the TSA has done. It depends on what kind of system they use to test whether or now GSW will pop on it. As long as there is a legit reason why you pop, all they will do is thoroughly check you and put you on your way. My bags and laptop usually pop on the swab and I never have a problem.

So you can bring a brick of C4 through but you'll be screwed if you try to get a pound of manure and diesel through?

What if you're wearing it as undies?

what would you do at this point? Inform them you go shooting? Show them your permit? What? I can think of a few different things, but depending on the sheeple and the TSA stupidity, none of them would go over well even if they are an exact explanation of what you do (legally).

Yes. I mean... what else would I do? If they swabbed my hands and said "WHOA DUDE! You've got GSR on your hands! You have 3 seconds to explain it before we taze you!"... I'd simply tell them why I have GSR on my hands. ie: I'm a gun owner and I shoot ALL the time. If they want to see my LTC... no big deal [grin]

Yes. I mean... what else would I do? If they swabbed my hands and said "WHOA DUDE! You've got GSR on your hands! You have 3 seconds to explain it before we taze you!"... I'd simply tell them why I have GSR on my hands. ie: I'm a gun owner and I shoot ALL the time. If they want to see my LTC... no big deal [grin]
Folks, utilize your panty unbuncher. GSR won't set off their scanner.

Yeah, but THEY don't know that. I once asked a screener, as they were swabbing one of my bags, if the equipment would trigger on nitrocellulose based compounds. No idea.

All I know is I went shooting in the AM, flew in the PM in the same clothes and jacket - went through one of the sniffer booths and nothing. Not a peep, so GSR is prob not going to set anything off.

Yeah, but THEY don't know that. I once asked a screener, as they were swabbing one of my bags, if the equipment would trigger on nitrocellulose based compounds. No idea.

Different machines might react differently but I did ask the Zürich Police about this when we were on a layover heading to Israel. They wheeled some machinery into the area of the gate and were setting up, so I went over and ID'd myself and asked about it. They swabbed every carry-on bag. We had no problems.

I wouldn't expect the TSA people in Logan to be able to find the restrooms without aid, so I certainly would never ask them anything.

Why bother swabbing. Why don't they just require you to come to the airport the day before so they can water board you for 18 hours and figure out their intentions before getting on a plane.

Last time they did a swab on my gun and gun case when I was traveling with it, didn't show any residue... go figure.
Of course it didn't show any residue, because the system they use DOESN'T TEST FOR GUNPOWDER! They aren't looking for gunpowder or GSR. They are looking for explosives.

Single-base powder is nitrocellulose, double-base powder is nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose. Both explosives. Smokeless powder doesn't explode because there are deterrents mixed in that slow the burn rate.

I'm not saying that they'll set off the detector, but they are made from explosives.

Just be sure to wash your hands after you water and fertilize your house plants in preparation for an extended vacation.[grin]

Since gun powder isn't supposed to set off the detector, I would honestly have no idea why the machine detected something. So, I would not volunteer any unnecessary information such as my gun interest. Besides, I have observed that some TSA people aren't all that bright... they may misinterpret such information the wrong way, as in a threat. It is best to speak as little as necessary around TSA. Only speak if spoken to, and only answer what is asked... don't go on and on trying to elaborate, makes you look nervous. What do you have to be nervous about?

If it bothers you, as for an officer to be present. That simple.
So, they are going to start swabbing little kids & old ladies now....lovely. You know what may deter it? Huge signs, in English stating we profile, and in Arabic stating "if you can read this, we mean you". Bet that may cut down on threats, and be a helluva lot cheaper to boot.

Simple solution. Cinnabon or Au Bon Pain sticky buns.
There will be so much goo on your hands it will probably gum up the machine for the rest of the day.

TSA pulled my bag once specifically because they detected "gun powder residue" on it...so nothing to do with traces of explosives. This was back when I was only 14 years old and had never handled a firearm in my life. I thought it was funny at the time...but if something like that happened to me now I'd go ape shit. So if I use a bag to carry firearms to and from the range I can't use that same bag as a carry on when I travel because it will have "detectable traces of gun powder residue" on it? Sorry but unless there is a firearm in the bag, I say anything goes

For the record, shouldn't they distinguish between gun power residue and other explosive powders/materials? The chemical makeup (matrix) is obviously going to be different

Back
Top Bottom