Top Shot Season 4 - Megathread

Anyone catch the scores? Looked like: Terry, Greg, Will, Augie.... Am I wrong? Makes no sense who they sent to the elimination. Well, hopefully it'll be the end of littlejohn.

Lame lame lame. They both should be ashamed.

I want to agree, but I've never been in that position. I've never even shot that gun. I'd like to get a half hour of practice with an SMLE and then try the same thing to see how I'd stack up though. Looked like it would be fun.

I want to agree, but I've never been in that position. I've never even shot that gun. I'd like to get a half hour of practice with an SMLE and then try the same thing to see how I'd stack up though. Looked like it would be fun.

Supported prone, from what looked like less than 200 yards (maybe even 100) on a target that appeared to be a couple feet wide.... I'd bet a case of beer that you could get more than 6 out of 12 hits (or whatever lameness it was that "won") with your commie rifle. [rofl]

I do wonder if they get a chance to get a zero before these kinds of challenges though. If not the show is even lamer than I suspected.

Supported prone, from what looked like less than 200 yards (maybe even 100) on a target that appeared to be a couple feet wide.... I'd bet a case of beer that you could get more than 6 out of 12 hits (or whatever lameness it was that "won") with your commie rifle. [rofl]

I do wonder if they get a chance to get a zero before these kinds of challenges though. If not the show is even lamer than I suspected.

One of the graphics said it was 200.

This. I noticed that they were both shooting left, and a little high... kind of odd for "world class shooters"

The elimination challenge was a mad minute with a Lee Enfield, 24" steel plate at 200 yards, prone supported on sand bags...
Seems the issue was Ian brought a bunch of shot out hardware based on the corresponding Top Guns episode. [laugh]

Not bad for 100yo hardware actually (though I have seen far better out of enfields), but on top guns, they had "issues" with accuracy with the same guns (assuming film them at the same time given the proximity of their expert and the hardware involved).

Seems the issue was Ian brought a bunch of shot out hardware based on the corresponding Top Guns episode. [laugh]

Not bad for 100yo hardware actually (though I have seen far better out of enfields), but on top guns, they had "issues" with accuracy with the same guns (assuming film them at the same time given the proximity of their expert and the hardware involved).

Even a shot out (but safe to fire) Enfield should be able to hold a 6 minute group at 200 yards. The target was twice that large.

Even a shot out (but safe to fire) Enfield should be able to hold a 6 minute group at 200 yards. The target was twice that large.
It also seemed like the misses were hitting consistently as well, but it is hard to say with the "TV magic" of editing... They could have been showing us the same miss over and over...

At Camp Perry I've shot 200 yards in competition with my 03A3 in rapid fire, stripper required, 10 shots in 60 seconds, prone. It's fun but tough but 100% of your rounds have to be on target with the majority of them in the black to score well. In a normal comp, you're allowed a few shots to adjust for windage and elevation. They didn't get either there. So, the first shot should have told them where they had to hold to adjust for any wind. Once they had that, however, in a slow fire, they should have put them all on target. In the comp that they were in they were expected to reproduce something that neither of them had ever done with a rifle that neither of them had ever shot. The SMLE is a great rifle, accurate and all that and the .303 round is predictable. But, the sights are small and you've got to put a lot of rounds down range to really get used to shooting it fast.....just like anything else.

What REALLY intrigued me was the way Ian showed them to rapid fire that rifle! As soon as the episode was done I ran to get my SMLE (doesn't everyone have one?) and try that technique of never having your hand leave the bolt and shooting with your 3rd finger on the trigger. That's something that NO ONE has ever shown me before and flies in the face of any type of training you'd have. But, I can tell you with all assuredness that you can operate that rifle in that manner. If I took mine to the range, I'm pretty confident that at 100 yards, I'd probably put 4 or5 out of 10 in that super rapid fire scenario. At 200 yards? Well, that's a different story. I'd have to practice like hell to be on the gong then. It is an amazingly fast way to operate a well-oiled SMLE rifle and would be fun to try. The BIG mitigator, however, is of course stripping in 10 rounds/5 at a time without slicing open your thumb which requires a lot of practice. Trust me on that. You do it by feel not by sight because you don't want to lose your setup. Each of them had to strip three times. A practiced shooter could do it in one or two seconds tops. Under a rapid fire situation it's really easy to fumble.

If it were me there I would have concentrated on being more deliberate with my shots, not worrying about speed but more about accuracy since my competition wasn't any more familiar with the rifle as me. All either of them needed was one more shot on target to win. With both of them only scoring 6 hits, well, that just sucks considering one guy shot 11 and the other 16. That's barely 50% hit in one case and about 30% in the other. Pretty pathetic but probably due more to the push for speed over accuracy.

Any else here try that SMLE trick?

Rome

There is a video floating around showing the Norwegan version of CMP shooting. It's all rapid fire on electronic targets. The soldiers shoot G3s and the civies shoot Sauer 200 rifles. They use the same technique with the middle finger and they keep up with the soldiers shooting the semis.

B

EDIT: They should have loaded 10, shot five, reloaded and then finished up. Did the rifle even have a sling? Didn't notice anyone using it.

EDIT 2 found it. This is the page it's on:

http://www.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/658909/

Last edited:
I had read about the rapid fire with your middle finger on Enfields before (not sure where, must have been right after I got my No.4Mk.1 and was doing a lot of research on it), but I hadn't realized they did it with any expectation of precision, figuring it was more of a "suppressive fire" technique. I had mentally categorized it with the earlier models that had the volley sights and were used for turning a squad of riflemen into indirect-artillery.

I had read about the rapid fire with your middle finger on Enfields before (not sure where, must have been right after I got my No.4Mk.1 and was doing a lot of research on it), but I hadn't realized they did it with any expectation of precision, figuring it was more of a "suppressive fire" technique. I had mentally categorized it with the earlier models that had the volley sights and were used for turning a squad of riflemen into indirect-artillery.

There is no expectation for precision which is why I think the challenge was in fact relatively challenging - the Enfield wasn't designed for accuracy so much as it was rate of fire. It's got the slickest bolt of any military bolt action rifle out there.

Supressing fire sounds logical for most grunts. Maybe there were a few who mastered that rifle, however, and were able to get 30 hits on a 24" bull at 200 yards. How many rounds would they actually fire to obtain that 30??

Rome

A 12 minute target is hardly "precision." The shiny tooth guy even said that 15 on was considered acceptable (read "mediocre") back in the day. Neither of these lumps could even get halfway there, and one was a Brit!

Almost makes be want to buy an Enfield.

I'd actually love to try it with my Enfield. The hard part would be affording 30 rounds for it. I think I'll give it a shot with a 3 inch target at 25 yards 'cuz there's no longer range available here.

I haven't tried it yet, but the mechanics of it made me think it would be better to shoot that way off hand instead of prone. Prone just didn't seem to give them the range of motion in their elbow to shoot that way effectively.

I'd actually love to try it with my Enfield. The hard part would be affording 30 rounds for it. I think I'll give it a shot with a 3 inch target at 25 yards 'cuz there's no longer range available here.

Bring it down to Reading sometime and you can shoot as my guest. I want to try it too.

I think it would be a lot easier with a No.4 Mk 1, which has a peep sight and longer sight radius. I can't use open sights to save my life.

I completely missed this week episode. Just caught up viewing the episode on history.com. Looking forward for next week 1000+ yards challenge.

Back
Top Bottom