• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Top reasons for NICS denial

Expect to see more denials in the future.

Last year I had to renew my C&R FFL.

No problem... or so I thought.

About a month after I received it in the mail, I get a phone call from an ATF investigator that there was an issue, and that my license was erroneously approved.

I had to meet with the investigator at my local PD to have fingerprints taken to clear up the mess.

I spoke with the investigator for awhile hoping to find out the reason for the confusion (she didn't go into details).

What she did tell me though, was that more and more people who had previously had no issues with background checks, were getting denied because NICs had finally gotten around to updating the backlog of records and entered into the system.

At that time... they were catching up on records going back 30 years that had never been entered into the system... including FFLs who've had their licenses for decades.

Expect to see more denials in the future.

Last year I had to renew my C&R FFL.

No problem... or so I thought.

About a month after I received it in the mail, I get a phone call from an ATF investigator that there was an issue, and that my license was erroneously approved.

I had to meet with the investigator at my local PD to have fingerprints taken to clear up the mess.

I spoke with the investigator for awhile hoping to find out the reason for the confusion (she didn't go into details).

What she did tell me though, was that more and more people who had previously had no issues with background checks, were getting denied because NICs had finally gotten around to updating the backlog of records and entered into the system.

At that time... they were catching up on records going back 30 years that had never been entered into the system... including FFLs who've had their licenses for decades.
That's going to make for even more legal battles if you're now talking about denying FFLs, who depend upon that license for their livelihood, being denied for some bs that happened years and years ago. What a disaster these laws have become... form over substance.

Ok so I was just "Red Flagged" today at the Plymouth show.

well it is a complicated computer data base. They combine lists from across the country, some federal, some state supplied. If you have made a recent significant contribution to the democratic party, you sail thru. If you contributed to the republican party, the program goes into an automatic one week loop. If you are a tea party member, the program dials in a swat team assault on your house.

well it is a complicated computer data base. They combine lists from across the country, some federal, some state supplied. If you have made a recent significant contribution to the democratic party, you sail thru. If you contributed to the republican party, the program goes into an automatic one week loop. If you are a tea party member, the program dials in a swat team assault on your house.
I find that awfully easy to believe. What a sad state of affairs. [frown]

Well I was pleasantly suprised today only 3 business days after my purchase at the Plymouth show I got approved for my Long-gun purchase !
Now off to the dealer 45 miles further away from the show. I guess I should be happy BIG BROTHER is letting me protect my family in these troubled times.

Update on people renouncing their citizenship on NPR today.

Why More Americans Are Renouncing U.S. Citizenship

Basically, we're the only country that taxes our citizens abroad. US requirements on foreign banks are such a hassle for the banks that they won't provide banking services to US citizens. The US Embassy in Switzerland actually has a waiting list of people wanting to renounce their citizenship.

For some reason everytime I make a purchase it always goes to "further review" - not sure why that happens or exactly what it means?

I would suggest applying for a UPIN. Saves a bunch of time. A buddy of mine had a name similar to a sex offender and always got delayed. After his UPIN came through, no more delays.

I am astounded that the number three reason (practically tied with number two) is "fugitive from justice." Really? You're on the lam so you decide it's a good idea to submit yourself to a background check? Holy crap. I guess it's true, you can't fix stupid.

I was one of those denied. It came from a Probation violation 17 years earlier. This was for a traffic stop that I was arrested for.
I went to court and was put on probation with early termination if I paid court costs, got a Florida Drivers license, and something else.
All those things were taken care of before the day in court. Went to the Probation office and showed them everything so the
probation could be terminated. Well, the person never entered the termination.

I went thru a DOD Background Security check to work on a Navy base in the Bahamas, Had it reissued when I moved up here
when Raytheon hired me. I have purchased three rifles and a pistol while here in NH. When I went to purchase a Saiga 12
Shotgun I got the denial. An inquiry to the FBI was no help. I got a letter saying I was a Fugitive from Justice. What came
about was they were updating their system or the sniveling servant retired and someone found my file and entered it into
the database. Since there was no record of me showing up to see the probation officer, the probation violation came about.

All in all it took me the better part of a year to clear this all up. I had to write a letter to the judge down there explaining
everything. It turns out it was the same Judge I was in front of 17 years earlier!

I got my Saiga.

Malodave

Ok so I was just "Red Flagged" today at the Plymouth show. When trying to purchase a Long gun from a local MA dealer, I was told not to worry about it, that by the end of the week the sale should go thru ! Its not my first purchase but is the first time I ran into this denial of a purchase.

What gives here ? Are they following a different criteria for gun show purchases ?
This is somewhat inconvenience and will require additional time & expence. If they (FBI) rejects this sale what or how does one go about filling a petition ?
I thought the assigned Pin # was to stream-line all this info & allow the sale to go thru faster ?
I also noticed that this dealer was not interested in my LTC Pin # ? Now he said that that pin was for the State only not for the FBI portion

First, calm down and take a breath. It happened to me my first time too. And a few times after too. Go crazy once it comes back as a denial. Until then, its just a delay that has to be taken in stride

Back
Top Bottom