Toddler Kills Self with Gun Found in Parents' Car

OK, coming from a point of view as a Southerner.

Many states don't have a CCW law. Therefore carrying is illegal. So, you're saying, that because I have a child, I should break the law.

When, as was pointed out, a car is an extension of my home. Therefore storage in my car is legal.

Now, before you freak out...I'm not saying that that gives them the right to do it irresponsibly. But, none the less....just because I have children...I'm to break the law. Knowing that safe storage of a firearm in a vehicle is legal?

Ok....lets put this part of the argument to bed. In this case Mississippi is a shall issue state. So the "laws down south" argument is moot.

http://carryconcealed.net/legal/mississippi-ccw-state-laws.php

Right-To-Carry Law Type: Shall Issue. The applicant must be a resident for twelve (12) months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the applications. This may be waived for active Military or having an active permit from another state.

Mississippi Law Sec. 97-37-1 (2) states "It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle".

EDIT: After doing a bit more research, it looks to me as if all the southern states will issue CCW permits. Please tell me what states down south won't?

SC - Shall issue
GA - Shall issue
AL - Reasonable May issue
MS - Shall issue
LA - Shall issue
FL - Shall issue

Last edited:
OK, coming from a point of view as a Southerner.

Many states don't have a CCW law. Therefore carrying is illegal. So, you're saying, that because I have a child, I should break the law.

When, as was pointed out, a car is an extension of my home. Therefore storage in my car is legal.

Now, before you freak out...I'm not saying that that gives them the right to do it irresponsibly. But, none the less....just because I have children...I'm to break the law. Knowing that safe storage of a firearm in a vehicle is legal?
Knowing what you know of the laws down there, wouldn't you either have a lock to secure the weapon OR empty it before leaving your kids alone with it? I'd like to think that I would.

Knowing what you know of the laws down there, wouldn't you either have a lock to secure the weapon OR empty it before leaving your kids alone with it? I'd like to think that I would.

Yes, I would. But the argument I had was that it's being said that because they have children, they aren't allowed to have guns in the car.

I call BS on that one. Hell, growing up, many of my family had a loaded pistol in the glove box. I'm sure that if you went around to many of the cars in the South...you'd find a gun in the car somewhere. It's just a different culture.

Still, I'm not saying that it's smart...or that the people there handled it right... As can see from the story, something went very wrong. And I'm likely to believe what Keith posted more along the lines from what was written.

But, yes, I would keep them locked up, either in a lockable center console, glove box, secure container, or trunk.

But just because I have kids, doesn't mean that I'm going to leave my guns at home. If that were the case, then I shouldn't even have guns in my HOME if I have children.

Why is a car any different than a home? Hell, kids have more freedoms in the house than they do in the car.

Hell, C-pher - I'm just remembering what I was like as a kid - if I had a kid like I was, I'd make DAMN sure that if I ever had to leave a gun anywhere me, it'd be either locked up or unloaded. Glove compartment? Sure, if I could lock it.

That said, yes, I, too, suspect that Scriv's hunch is more correct than not. [thinking]

Hell, C-pher - I'm just remembering what I was like as a kid - if I had a kid like I was, I'd make DAMN sure that if I ever had to leave a gun anywhere me, it'd be either locked up or unloaded. Glove compartment? Sure, if I could lock it.

That said, yes, I, too, suspect that Scriv's hunch is more correct than not. [thinking]

See, I was a rambunctious kid as well. Yet guns were left all over the place...in the open, and I would guess loaded.

Were they when I was three? I can't say...but they were there for as long as I can remember. But then, education was different. They didn't "child proof" the homes like they do now. And I knew that if I was played with them, I would get my hind end tanned.

It's the main reason that I didn't child proof my house with my kids. I have a two year old that knows she can't touch knifes, glasses, the outlets, or the Hi-Fi equipment for that matter. It was a bitch, and took quite a bit of training, as it wasn't easy. But there's no reason that a child can't be taught at three years old to not touch a gun.

If a gun to the child is no different at the remote on the table....if they can know not to touch the remote, they can learn not to touch the gun.

That said, would I leave a loaded, or even unloaded, gun around my kids?

No, but they both know what they are...and not to touch them if they see them. They are both two and a half and five. If you ever meet them, ask them what to do if they see one. They will tell you.

But them knowing that doesn't excuse me from not practicing safe storage around children. That's my responsibility as a father to keep them minimized from harm.

Many states don't have a CCW law. Therefore carrying is illegal.

As of now, just 3 states, and none of them are in the South.

Also irreleavant.

Child should have been in the child seat.

Child should have been supervised.

The handgun should not have been within reach of the child.

The handgun could (and should) have been accessable to the parents and away from the kid. Locked glove box or console qualifies.

Everything else is irreleavant, including time of day and state carry laws.

I bet if you ask Nickel, he'd say that he grew up the same way....way up there in Vermont... A long way up there from Looooseanna and Kintuky.

You betcha. I grew up in a gun shop. It existed BEFORE I was born.

Think everything was always locked up?

Think about it.

I was house proofed, just as were my kids and grandkids.

Last edited:
Theres no excuse for the actions of the parents to leave that gun were a toddler could get at it one, and two they should pay the ultimate price, with their lives.... slow and pain ful and in public, maybe just maybe that will teach parents to be responsible for their kids....

Has anyone thought about the security cameras at this gas station? I don't know of one gas station that I have ever visited NOT to be equipped with security cameras. There is definitely more to this story but of course the media is not investigating or revealing all of the information.

I cannot convict both parents of manslaughter without more information.

Back
Top Bottom