• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Toddler Kills Self with Gun Found in Parents' Car

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
Toddler Kills Self with Gun Found in Parents' Car
Contributor: AP Newswire
Email: [email protected]
Last Update: 7/29 11:07 am
Print Story | Email Story

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Police say a 3 year-old boy was pronounced dead after he shot himself in his parents' car.

Jackson Police say the toddler was sitting in the car outside a gas station in south Jackson about midnight Tuesday when he found a gun that was kept in the vehicle.

Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart said the boy, Tyric Robinson, shot himself in the face.

The toddler was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center, where he died at 12:51 a.m.

Police have not named the boy's parents. They were detained for questioning.

First I don't know what the Mississippi rules are for gun storage. I question why the kid was out at midnight. Could be for very legit reasons. As for me my kids only have seen midnight if they've refused to sleep, but you can rest assured they would be in bed and awake and not in the back of a car. But that's me. As far as the kid being in a car an free enough to crawl around and find a gun, that's another story. Kid in a car in a gas station should be in a car seat.

Obviously I have no idea if the kid was or wasn't and I also have no idea where the gun was in the car. Could have been right beside the little tike who could have been in his/her car seat.

Regardless of the whether you're pro or anti this should leave a bad taste in your mouth. I'm outraged by shit like this. Yes, they may have been punished for what has happened as their child is dead but in my opinion they haven't been punished nearly enough. Our job as parents is to protect our children and keep them out of harms way. That includes anticipating any potential danger they might happen upon if left unattended for a moment.

They failed to do their job and their child paid the price.

Whew....sorry for the vent but I hate when this stuff happens. it's so easy to prevent.

Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart said the boy, Tyric Robinson,

Police have not named the boy's parents. They were detained for questioning.

Fair to say that it's Mr. and Mrs. Robinson???? [rolleyes]

I'm with SKS...though my kids see Midnight every once an a while. I don't think that that's a sign of parenting.

I do think that the gun in reach of hte child is...and the fact, as he said, the boy was out of his seat. Unless you're bringing the kid into the store with you, the child doesn't need to be out of thier seat. And when you come back, kid goes INTO the seat, not crawl around.

And, for the child to get the gun, and even pull the trigger tells me that they were not watching the wee one while he was crawling around in the car.

It is a shame, but I do think that it was completly avoidable.

Take away the moronic Mass laws and you are left with the moral responsibility to keep your guns safe and to yourself (or good friends at the range). Take away the guns and you are left with a DUTY to protect your children.

These "parents" failed at every step.

I'm with SKS...though my kids see Midnight every once an a while. I don't think that that's a sign of parenting.

I do think that the gun in reach of hte child is...and the fact, as he said, the boy was out of his seat. Unless you're bringing the kid into the store with you, the child doesn't need to be out of thier seat. And when you come back, kid goes INTO the seat, not crawl around.

And, for the child to get the gun, and even pull the trigger tells me that they were not watching the wee one while he was crawling around in the car.

My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that parents are bad if their kids are out at midnight. Of course there are many reasons a kid would be up and out at midnight....could be new years eve, coming home late from vacation or seeing some fireworks, sometimes we are out a bit later than I'd like if we are visiting friends or family for dinner on a weekend night. I just prefer mine are in bed long before midnight becasue if they're not they are CRANKY as hell!! lol

But I did mean to imply that you are a bad parent if you let your three year old shoot themself in the face with a gun....yours or not. No way a kid should be left unattended for that long to be able to do that. And a gun, loaded or otherwise, should not be in reach of an unattended three year old.

Notice I said "unattended". That's because I have no issues with a responsible parent familiarizing a child with an unloaded firearm. Loaded at the range and maybe when the kid is a bit older.....but that is a choice a "responsible" parent will make, not for me to decide.

Last edited:
In my mind, here's the bottom line....

The parents (or owner of the firearm) showed a total lack of respect for gun handling safety. Just like the rule 'always treat every gun as a loaded gun' there's also a guideline that all responsible firearm owners follow automatically....'don't leave your freakin gun lying around'

Just a little respect for the handling of a firearm would have saved that young person's life. It could have so easily been avoided and yes, it's very sad.

My .02

WTF!!!!
Very, very sad.. [sad2]

I feel very bad for the parents and cannot imagine what they are going through.
I dont know the entire story simply what was printed. However when it comes to kids and guns and storing them and gun awarness when it comes to toddlers especially when there is a gun in the vehicle, American gun owners like this are "OUR" worst enemys when it comes to liberal, gun control people because they feed off of things like this.

things like this do not help our cause and makes us all look bad. We keep (not us but people like this) giving them things to shut us down with. Just like the granfather that shot his grandson in the back with the AK back a month or so ago while they were out "plinking" so to speak. No excuse for it... none at all....

Unfortunately.....

sorry for the parents loss. Very sorry. [sad2]

Obviously up to no good, clearly.

my thoughts exactly. heading out for thet middle of the night drug fix...."hey, don't forget to throw the baby and the loaded gun itno the back seat. I have to stop for gas....you run in for some munchies while I fill her up...."

BANG!!!!! Dead Baby..... "Oops! Where's the gun? You don't have it? No....Oh Shit!!!!"

So, unattended 3 yr. old in a car with no childseat up at midnight with a loaded gun within reach. And, we're suprised that the kid found the gun and fired it into his face?

String up the parents. I'll hold the rope.

Bob

I'm with Scriv on this one. at best a 50/50 chance the family name is Robinson.

I can easily see the child having another "Sperm donor" last name, Mother and current "Daddy" not married.

I won't speculate on first names, but I'll bet it wasn't Mary and Joseph.

Last edited:
WTF!!!!
Very, very sad.. [sad2]

I feel very bad for the parents and cannot imagine what they are going through.

sorry for the parents loss. Very sorry. [sad2]

Screw the parents. They're the a**h***s who weren't responsible enough not to leave an infant around a loaded, unattended gun. Why on earth would you have any simpathy for these scumbags? I have no remorse for them.

I feel very bad for the kid who lost his life, and for the gunowners who are actually responsible who have to endure one rediculous law after another because human wastes of oxygen like these folks can't be responsible.

They can burn.

Last edited:
I can think of a number of reasons a 3yo might be out at that hour. Returning from a flight is one of them.

The real issue here is that a 3yo shouldn't be able to get hold of a gun, especially with a round chambered (and don't give me the BS about 'my 3yo blah blah blah'). The parents should be up for manslaughter charges.

The real issue here is that a 3yo shouldn't be able to get hold of a gun, especially with a round chambered (and don't give me the BS about 'my 3yo blah blah blah'). The parents should be up for manslaughter charges.

It wouldnt surprise me if they are charged with that and i hope they are. They are irresponsible persons obviously not capable of properly owning a firearm or having children. I feel sorry for them that they lost a child. But i cannot forgive them simply bc it was an "accident".

my thoughts exactly. heading out for thet middle of the night drug fix...."hey, don't forget to throw the baby and the loaded gun itno the back seat. I have to stop for gas....you run in for some munchies while I fill her up...."

BANG!!!!! Dead Baby..... "Oops! Where's the gun? You don't have it? No....Oh Shit!!!!"

I was thinking of the baby being up to know good, but your assertion is in better taste...[grin]

I was thinking of the baby being up to know good, but your assertion is in better taste...[grin]

lol...that would have to be one "bad a$$" little baby.....

seriously though, it it such a sad situation. I hate when children are hurt. You don't have to be a parent to see how senseless and tragic this is.

I think there was a kid in Boston who fell to his death from a third story window a week or so back....

They asked the father what happened and his reply was something to the affect..."I told him to stay away from the window". Yeah, that will work....nice parenting.

Where do these people come from?????? An obvious danger to a child and they leave them unattended with that potential risk.....

The only differnece is you can't ban an open window. The sad truth is dead is still dead whether from a gun or a high fall. Both parents are equally at fault for their respective children.

Here is the link to that story. It was actually in Providence.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/rh...rovidence_boy_dies_after_falling_from_window/

Screw the parents. They're the a**h***s who weren't responsible enough not to leave an infant around a loaded, unattended gun. Why on earth would you have any simpathy for these scumbags? I have no remorse for them.

I see your point. Believe me I do and I hate the fact that these people are going to make our lives (responsible gun owners) more miserable than our MA laws already are due to their total stupidity. But I guess thats the parent coming out in me. I cant imagine how I would feel if that happend to my Son or Daughter. But then again I wouldnt set them up for it like these morons did. I sure see where you are coming from though.

Last edited:
Both parents are named Robinson. Both were on scene in separate cars.

3-Year-Old Boy Killed in Shooting
By Julie Straw, 7/29/2008

A three-year-old boy was fatally shot late Monday night, and Jackson police say many questions still remain as to how it all happened. He was the third child killed in the capital city in less than two weeks.

Just before midnight Monday, Travis and Donna Robinson arrived in separate cars at the Shell gas station on Daniel Lake Boulevard in south Jackson. Their son Tyric was in his father's Oldsmobile Delta 88. The parents tell police the boy got his hands on a large-caliber handgun in the car and shot himself in the face.

"A child can not appreciate the danger associated with a weapon," said Jackson police spokesman Jeffery Scott. "Again, that's where a parent failed in their duty to protect their child."

The boy was pronounced dead at a Jackson hospital. But many questions still remain -- like where were the parents? And how did a three-year-old find a gun in the car?

"The parents have given us a statement as to where the gun was in the car," Scott said. "Question is -- could a child have reached it? Could a child have had the strength to pull the trigger? We have to go where the evidence leads us."

[...]

An autopsy of Tyric Robinson is expected Tuesday evening. His parents were detained for questioning after the shooting. No charges have been filed.
http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=8756244&nav=2CSf

Here's an Alternate Scenario:

Dad and Mom get into a knock-down, drag out fight.

Mom grabs kid and splits; Dad gives chase.

Dad catches Mom at the gas station and the fight resumes.

While Dad tries to drag Mom out of her car and into his, one pulls a gun and they struggle for control of it.

BANG!

Blaming the now-dead kid is easier than the truth.

Just a possible interpretation of events.

Back
Top Bottom