• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of getting a 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got inspired and took my E series out and put 300 rounds of shitty steel wolf ammo through it. Not one single failure and no rust or broken sight. Clearly it "MUST" be the most superior 1911 EVER made

( yes I am completely joking about both the 300 rounds being a "lot" and s&w being the "best" )

So I was looking for some links that you so badly want. But I found this was a lot more interesting.....You said you were the only one with rust issue here (page 2), but we know that isn't true from your own thread about rust. You say here (page 2) that the rust could be your fault, but in that thread you say it has to be the gun. Page 1 Remington is junk, but then you recommend it on page two.

Have you thought about being a politician?

I know Ben (warwickben) personally, and was busting his balls, like he always busts mine. Is that ok dad? The Remingotn 1911 is a fine gun. I would never buy one, but have never heard anything bad about it.

I am 99.9% sure it was the gun. I would mostly store it in my regular safe with everything else, but sometimes it would go into my safe near my nightstand (when I was stuck in shitty MA), and that was right near a window. So for all I know, being right near the window, could have let in more moisture, causing it to rust? How the **** do I know.

How are you coming for those links on Ruger's QC issues? I mean, I know there are so many of them that you must not be having this much trouble locating some. [rolleyes]

Who else in my thread had trouble with rusting? I apologize for not remembering all 12k of my own posts, or everyone else's for that matter. [thinking]

RUger, Sig, S&W, Remington, Kimber are some of the guns I have seen with feeding issues. At least 1 FTF out of every 2-3 mags. Manufacturing isn't the issue, the design is flawed.

If you want a quality reliable "old style" handgun, get a Makarov. Those guns are the AK of the handgun world and will run 100%, and for the price of a 1911 you can buy a Glock 21 for a .45, and get the Makarov for the history.

I have plans to go green as soon as I can go one week without someone telling me to. Thanks for resetting the counter.

Your on crack ....

I legit shot 1000rds in my 1911r1 basic
In one sitting .
Only time I had a problem that day was a shirty round . How I new it was the round when I ejected it I had a full hit on the primer it was a dud.

I've shot it when it's so cold it hurt to hold it . Mainly cause I dropped it in snow lol.
I've shot it after its been sitting in the sun and it was all most to hot to touch .
I've dropped it in a little muddy stream on my dads land .i wiped it with my shirt racked the slide and shot some more ..

I've shot 100rds of cheap Tula with no problems. After firing 200 rds the week befor with out cleaning it .

Feeds every brand of hollow point I've put in it .

Half the time I clean it I do a half ass job. wipe the barrel down,slide, and the feed ramp area . With a rag .... Put some lube on it and call it a day.
Yeah I clean the bore real good .

Shit mags ever pop in your head.
I've seen glocks have tons of fails from cheap after market mags .

My brain is going in a million directions. My father in law has a Ruger SR1911 (was 725 cash) at a shop down the Cape and he said he likes it. Only about 3, maybe 4 months old. I'm gonna go meet up with him and put some rounds down range and see how it is.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Well my work here is done. Gave you some options and now it's up to you. If you get a chance to borrow or rent a Sig P220, do it. Everyone that has ever shot my P220 has said the same thing; "I gotta buy a Sig". It's the best handgun I have ever owned and the one gun I will have until the day I die.

Every manufacturer sends out a dud now and again. I had a brand new Dan Wesson bind up after firing exactly 1 round through it. It took the factory almost a month to get me a shipping label, fix it and return it. Their customer service sucks. They make some of the nicest off-the-shelf 1911s, though. The accuracy is amazing and I've never had any issue other than that problem when the gun was new. Apparently, it happens from time to time since the slide/frame is fitted so tightly (there are multiple reports of people having the same issue).

I wasn't too upset about the problem, per se. Shit happens. I was, however, appalled at how customer service treated me. It honestly seemed like they couldn't give a crap that someone just dropped serious coin on one of their guns and it failed right out of the box. I even wrote a letter to the CEO and didn't get so much as a response. Such a shame. They lost a customer, but I guess with demand outweighing the production many times over, they just don't care.

At least Ruger took care of you.

I know Ben (warwickben) personally, and was busting his balls, like he always busts mine. Is that ok dad? The Remingotn 1911 is a fine gun. I would never buy one, but have never heard anything bad about it.

I am 99.9% sure it was the gun. I would mostly store it in my regular safe with everything else, but sometimes it would go into my safe near my nightstand (when I was stuck in shitty MA), and that was right near a window. So for all I know, being right near the window, could have let in more moisture, causing it to rust? How the **** do I know.

How are you coming for those links on Ruger's QC issues? I mean, I know there are so many of them that you must not be having this much trouble locating some. [rolleyes]

Who else in my thread had trouble with rusting? I apologize for not remembering all 12k of my own posts, or everyone else's for that matter. [thinking]

I used to have a sig.

It was well made and went bang most of the time. Then I realized the trigger sucked, and the high bore axes sucked. Glad I sold it

Well my work here is done. Gave you some options and now it's up to you. If you get a chance to borrow or rent a Sig P220, do it. Everyone that has ever shot my P220 has said the same thing; "I gotta buy a Sig". It's the best handgun I have ever owned and the one gun I will have until the day I die.

Hold on and let me start a to applaud your "work". You suggest a group of handguns the OP didn't ask about, and crap up a thread with your typical 1911's suck routine?

Lol. Yes SR556 you win the internet today for your hard "work"

Now, if we want to talk "real" Sig's like the 210 than maybe there's a conversation to be had

Last edited:
Hold on and let me start a to applaud your "work". You suggest a group of handguns the OP didn't ask about, and crap up a thread with your typical 1911's suck routine?

Now, if we want to talk "real" Sig's like the 210 than maybe there's a conversation to be had

Nobody has argued against the 1911 sucks FACTS I presented, and the OP himself said he's now thinking about the Sig. He was thinking about buying a 1911, and I gave him better alternatives.

How is the P220 not a "real" Sig? The P220, P226, and P229 are some of the best models they make.

Nobody has argued against the 1911 sucks FACTS I presented, and the OP himself said he's now thinking about the Sig. He was thinking about buying a 1911, and I gave him better alternatives.

How is the P220 not a "real" Sig? The P220, P226, and P229 are some of the best models they make.

"Get a Sig" is never good advice. There's just no reason to. Ever.

Well I carried a 1911 for 10 years in the green machine. The crappy beat to shit pistols always went bang when they were supposed to. I carry a norinco 1911 that hits what I aim at and is as sexy as a lump of coal. Paid 400 for it.

You have yet to acty provide a single "fact" and have only perpetuated internet armchairness. Plenty have refuted your tired old argument with actual first had experience you have chosen to ignore.

On the other hand you have not a single thing to say about 1. A decocker is the stupedist thing on the planet 2. The trigeer pull on a stock 220 is horrible on both single and double action. 3. The 220 is as wide or wider than a flock 21 or a hk or 1911 sect yet it is only a single stack gun. 4. The riducolusly high bore axis of the 220 5 the cheap stamped constriction....

Real Sigs are NOT stamped sheet metal. Shoot a 210 and you'll know.

I don't give a shit if you like sigs or hi points or Kel tecs or s&w or rugers shoot what you like.

Last edited:
You have yet to acty provide a single "fact" and have only perpetuated internet armchairness. Plenty have refuted your tired old argument with actual first had experience you have chosen to ignore.

On the other hand you have no a single thing to say about 1. A decocker is the stupedist thing on the planet 2. The trigeer pull on a stock 220 is horrible on both single and double action. 3. The 220 is as wide or wider than a flock 21 or a hk or 1911 sect yet it is only a single stack gun. 4. The riducolusly high bore axis of the 220 5 the cheap stamped constriction....

Real Sigs are NOT stamped sheet metal. Shoot a 210 and you'll know

1. A decocker is the stupedist thing on the planet
Opinion.

2. The trigeer pull on a stock 220 is horrible on both single and double action.
Opinion. I love the trigger.

3. The 220 is as wide or wider than a flock 21 or a hk or 1911 sect yet it is only a single stack gun.
Barely, and the average person wont even notice the difference between the 1911 and the Sig. If anything, you made an argument for the Glock 21, which I also suggested. I don't give a shit if he buys the Sig or the Glock, I was recommending anything but the 1911.

BASE widths. My P220 is only 1.20" with the grips I have on it.
Sig P220 - 1.5"
Ruger SR1911 - 1.34
Glock 21 - 1.27"
HK 45 - 1.42"

4. The riducolusly high bore axis of the 220
And? I noticed no difference in recoil between my P220 and my old SR1911. The Sig, however, was more accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot.

5 the cheap stamped constriction....
They haven't stamped Sigs in years, but from what I hear, those are the Sigs to have.

- - - Updated - - -

Except ours. That is. That being said folks check out Northshore. They have an abundance of them.

US Army, US Marine Corps, that's two and they are both ours so who cars about any others

Hardly counts when a small section of the military are being issued 1911s. The officially issued sidearm of the Army and Marines is still the Beretta M9.

Some Marines still use the M45, but they also use the M16, so that doesn;t really mean shit.

Last edited:
Opinion.

Barely, and the average person wont even notice the difference between the 1911 and the Sig. If anything, you made an argument for the Glock 21, which I also suggested. I don't give a shit if he buys the Sig or the Glock, I was recommending anything but the 1911.

Sig P220 - 1.5"
Ruger SR1911 - 1.34
Glock 21 - 1.27"
HK 45 - 1.42"

And? I noticed no difference in recoil between my P220 and my old SR1911. The Sig, however, was more accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot.

They haven't stamped Sigs in years, but from what I hear, those are the Sigs to have.

- - - Updated - - -

Hardly counts when a small section of the military are being issued 1911s. The officially issued sidearm of the Army and Marines is still the Beretta M9.

evu7useb.jpg

I measured my 1911 and its 1.25 so I guess your numbers are off ?

And you can buy thinner 1911 grips .

Facts are one company makes each of the guns you listed . There's a crap load of 1911 brands . Some mite have shitty qc....

Some changed enough of the gun I wouldn't say its a real 1911 .

As long as a gun company's qc is in check don't matter what gun it is . It's a pissing match of whose is better . It just come down to what you like .

Opinion.

Sig P220 - 1.5"
Ruger SR1911 - 1.34
Glock 21 - 1.27"
HK 45 - 1.42"

- - - Updated - - -

Some Marines still use the M45, but they also use the M16, so that doesn;t really mean shit.

Wait a MINUTE!!!!! So what your telling me is that a OPINION and information on models and their construction methods that may not be current do NOT equal FACT?!?!?! Your kidding me!

Some how I still doubt you'll get it

Edit: and yes, those stamped sigs are the real sigs [wink]

Last edited:
My favorites are Sig 1911 TTT, S&W 108282, and Remington R1 enhanced stainless, in that order. My brother owns them all and I have shot them all and they are great. I myself have a sig 1911 TTT now because I liked my brothers so much. If I didn't live in Crapachusetts I would probably own a Wilson combat as well.

Last edited:
My favorites are Sig 1911 TTT, S&W 108282, and Remington R1 enhanced stainless, in that order. My brother owns them all and I have shot them all and they are great. I myself have a sig 1911 TTT now because I liked my brothers so much.

The TTT is a hell of a value under $1k. If my e series had taken 1 week longer to arrive I would have ended up with a TTT and been very happy

The trigger on all sigs is terrible. I rarely take my 220 out of the safe. I wish the 227 was available when I got my 220. If I'm going to have a wide gun, it should at least be a double stack.

On the other hand you have not a single thing to say about 1. A decocker is the stupedist thing on the planet 2. The trigeer pull on a stock 220 is horrible on both single and double action. 3. The 220 is as wide or wider than a flock 21 or a hk or 1911 sect yet it is only a single stack gun. 4. The riducolusly high bore axis of the 220 5 the cheap stamped constriction....

Real Sigs are NOT stamped sheet metal. Shoot a 210 and you'll know.

I don't give a shit if you like sigs or hi points or Kel tecs or s&w or rugers shoot what you like.

Go to a local public range, and rent a few different 1911's. Or, maybe you have a few friends that have them and can shoot with them.

Then decide which one appeals specifically to you. Research the model, and find which options/submodel best suits your needs and desires.

Buy one, and enjoy.

I love my R1 enhanced. Got it preowned from collectors for 699. Put 500 round through it so far. Flawless.

I have a Sig 1911 Target that I like a lot. That being said, I'm relatively new to all this, so I don't have a lot to compare it to (ok, I accidentally picked up a Colt Gold Cup that was on the table next to it at a competition and ran two SIG mags through the Gold Cup. I was wondering why the sights weren't where I'd left them, and had to fiddle the second mag to get it to start feeding, but I didn't realize the mistake until the gun's owner told me. To his credit, he interrupted my profuse apology with, "Never mind all that, how'd you like it?"). It's given me no grief, required no work (other than me adjusting the sights for the distance I do most of my shooting at), and functions reliably. As a range toy (which, IIRC, was what the OP wanted), it's within budget and works well. For those on the thread hating on SIG, it's a 1911. For those hating on 1911's, it's a SIG. For those who read "range toy" and started a debate about carry guns, of the guns I have, I'd trust my life to it over the rest when the shooting started, but it's on the heavy and hard to hide side for the rest of the time.

+1

Well I've got one of those S&W 1911 SC E series. Seems some will never buy them because of the outside extractor. Some say the mags are junk, and after 12 pages, I can't remember all the other "bad" stuff I got with this gun. Mine is still new as I only have 2,500 down the tube now. I have had two misfires. One was a cheap Tulo steel cased round that actually lost the primer out of the loaded shell (FTF, and not the gun's fault) and one of my reloads (JHP) that I didn't crimp properly and the projectile slid back in the casing causing a FTC. Every other single round, factory everything, and lead reloads has gone through this gun without an issue. That includes using 4 mags, two S&W, an old mag bought out of a junk box from the LGS(that works flawlessly) and a new mag bought at Bass Pro that fails to keep the chamber open after the last round (again, not the guns fault)
Accuracy with this gun has been phenomenal. Recoil is light compared to my nephew's Ruger (which has been good to him) and the trigger on it for being MA C is better than it should be. My nephew likes shooting my SC over his Ruger and also has a S&W 3" of his own. It too eats everything he puts in it including my reloads. His Ruger on the other hand has issues with my reloads which the S&W's don't have. He did buy a new Remington and after many problems they took it back.
Now, the OP said he wanted to pay $900. There is a damn beautiful S&W 1911 SC E series right here in the classifieds for sale for $1,100. For the $200 extra it's worth it.
Now as far as the Glock .45's go. I can't run lead reloads because of their rifling so hard ball is all they'll eat. Expensive to shoot compared to the 1911's.
These are just my own observations of course made by real hands on experiences by either me or my nephew (who competes in pistol shooting by the way). The stories I've read here don't hold up by my own personal experiences on the guns I've mentioned.

Well I'd have to say the SW E series was damn nice. I got lucky when MFS got that in. I just happened to be there to test some handguns out, and I was the first one to fire it. I was going to get a 1911 anyways, but out of the handful of guns I fired, I fired one shot and was like "yuuuup!" I didn't get the E series, but I wouldn't have anything negative to say about it. Only got to put 50 rounds through it, but no issues.

OP, if you're close enough to MFS in Holliston, MA they let you rent what they have, and they have the E series, and I think a Sig Target. They may have more now even. They didn't have the retail shop open back then, but I think I saw a Ruger SR1911 in the case and I believe they let you test fire guns you're thinking about buying too. Or at least a testing version. I don't know exactly. Might be worth testing out some stuff before taking the plunge.

I have the new e series s&w 1911 sc also. No complaints at all. I bought it because the 4 1/4 inch barrel and the bobbed butt made it an ideal carry 1911, it felt great in my hand, it had great reviews, and I liked the way it looked the best. I went with the dark scandium finish. Personal preference on looks and its a better color for carrying.

I know you said it's a range toy but it's nice to have the opportunity to carry it on occasion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Pistol, Semi-automatic, .45 caliber, Model 1911

2.5 million + made
Primary US military sidearm for almost seventy-five years (and still going)
Service Record:
WW1
WW2
Korea
Vietnam
+ a boatload of smaller operations

Still being called back into use today.

1911s are notorious for being finicky pieces of shit. 1911 fans don't even argue in it's defense, they simply try to justify it's shitty design.

Yeah you sold me, hero.

The 1911 has a long extensive, distinguished and proven combat service record in every corner of the globe and in every climatic condition and environment known to man with one of the best, most highly trained and efficient military forces in history.

Now you may personally think the design is aged.
You may personally like more recently developed designs.
You may feel that modern brands are not making quality 1911's.

But when you state the 1911 is a shitty design, it is really moronic and ignorant

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom