• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of getting a 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any recomendations? I want to try to stay in or around 900. Thanks for any feedback. This would be my first.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

If you weren't in MA, I'd say Kimber... but since you are in MA.... :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I like my kimber, but if I had to do it again, I'd buy a different brand. If Ruger had released the SR1911 while I was looking, that's probably what I would have bought. Come to think of it, it'll probably be my next gun purchase.

I'd go for the Rem R1 enhanced... Beautiful 1911. Absolutely love mine.

Originally I wanted the Ruger SR1911, but glad I couldn't find one... Too many reports & reviews of sights breaking off, rust on the stainless models... But then again, those that its happened to still say they love them.

Happy with my R1 enhanced... And zero issues with it. Can't say I've heard anybody complain about them. In fact, there were 3 at the pin shoot today.

ETA: if it make a difference to you, the Ruger is based on the Series 70, and the Remington is based on the Series 80.

Last edited:
I'd probably take a Ruger over a Kimber in any state. What are you going to do with this 1911? Carry gun? Bullseye? USPSA/IDPA? General range toy?

Ruger SR1911 Government. I love mine. They can be had for right around $700.

+1

i love my ruger as well

+1

SR1911/R1 Enhanced

I wouldn't look for any Crapbers.

+1

I'd probably take a Ruger over a Kimber in any state. What are you going to do with this 1911? Carry gun? Bullseye? USPSA/IDPA? General range toy?

+2

Kimber is overpriced for what it is. I had one and sold it. It's nothing special.

I'd go with the Ruger- just as good as a S&W and you have money left over for some customizations. That's the best part of a 1911 anyway...

Great thread guys!! I am thinking of either a Ruger, or a Rem R1 E myself, for my first 1911. I am leaning more towards the rem now, after I heard all the stuff about the sights.

I am selling an awesome Colt Combat Commander. I was asking a little more but Im feeling generous so I would take 900 from you. Lot of work done- series 70- day night sights- new trigger- beaver tail grip safety added by Derr. PM if interested....

Anyone have any recomendations? I want to try to stay in or around 900. Thanks for any feedback. This would be my first.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Great thread guys!! I am thinking of either a Ruger, or a Rem R1 E myself, for my first 1911. I am leaning more towards the rem now, after I heard all the stuff about the sights.

Yeah...

If I ever acquired the SR1911, I would replace the sights immediately. I'm currently drooling over the SA Range Officer.

S&W.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Hmm, recommnding a 1911 is always a bit tricky.

How unreliable do you want it to be?

Hmm, recommnding a 1911 is always a bit tricky.

How unreliable do you want it to be?

And...we're off.

Speak on it, troll.

I have had zero malfunctions of any kid out of my SR1911. It has run 100%. Are you a troll everyday, or is this month extra special?

If you like it rusting and parts falling off buy the ruger.

If you like a basic more gi style 1911 a r1 basic is one of the best .

Dude, be serious. I mean really.

Scroll back to where I said my Government has been 100%.

Remington is junk, and they take pay outs by the .gov to stay in NY.

Remington can go bankrupt and suck it.

Only problem I had with the r1 is it being all black it was way too Killy for me .

For real tho, only problem I've had was a bur on the mag release took 5 mins to fix.

Last edited:
A slightly loved E series S&W might fall into your price range. Mine is my favorite toy
A friend has an R1 and it's no slouch either.

And...we're off.

Speak on it, troll.

I have had zero malfunctions of any kid out of my SR1911. It has run 100%. Are you a troll everyday, or is this month extra special?

No malfunctions, just bad ammo, right? [laugh]

OP, buy a Sig P220. It's in your price range and a much better, more reliable gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom