Thinking of getting a 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spartan is probably a better 1911 maker, I didn't say that. You're still avoiding my question, so I guess I will avoid yours. [thinking]

You said, "Ruger has QC issues, buy elsewhere" pretty much. I know I can search Google just fine. You brought it up, with no evidence, not me.

Sti is the manufacturer, spartan is the model... when I do a search for STI front sight broke off, one of the first links is for a Ruger[rofl], none seem to be for STI guns..odd.

You want evidence...go look at your own rusted gun. Odd thing is I have 3 STI in the white and they have zero rust, weird

Supermoto, Maybe you could explain for the rest of us that are actually curious?

Its a involved process that requires a sharpie, covering the lower lugs to see if the feet ride evenly on the pin,smoothly without bumping. making sure the upper lugs have enough engagement, but that the link pulls them far enough down to prevent peening. Hood clearance, etc Its all stuff you need to be aware of when fitting a barrel, but the knowledge allows you to spot a improperly built 1911

a quick check to see if the barrel beds correct and is not riding the link is to take the slide stop pin out of the notch, but leave the pin inserted in the hole. Hold the gun level. Push the barrel straight back, push it against the edge of a table, whatever. until it stops...will the slide stop pin rotate freely? Yes is good, bad means it will eventually break the link. It is a quick test you can do at the shop

Its a involved process that requires a sharpie, covering the lower lugs to see if the feet ride evenly on the pin,smoothly without bumping. making sure the upper lugs have enough engagement, but that the link pulls them far enough down to prevent peening. Hood clearance, etc Its all stuff you need to be aware of when fitting a barrel, but the knowledge allows you to spot a improperly built 1911

a quick check to see if the barrel beds correct and is not riding the link is to take the slide stop pin out of the notch, but leave the pin inserted in the hole. Hold the gun level. Push the barrel straight back, push it against the edge of a table, whatever. until it stops...will the slide stop pin rotate freely? Yes is good, bad means it will eventually break the link. It is a quick test you can do at the shop

Interesting.... Thanks for the tip.

How many rounds through it? How many in one sitting?

Free loading? You clearly have no ****ing idea how the internet works. I didn't kick in the $21 (or whatever it is), but me being here is generating revenue for the site owner. The more visitors you have, the more you can charge for ads.

Then go away, a responsible adult with help the ones that are here to inform them.

Anyone have any recomendations? I want to try to stay in or around 900. Thanks for any feedback. This would be my first.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

I currently only have two 1911's. One is a Gold Cup, the other is an S&W. I bought the S&W used from an NES member. Both guns usually get 'powder puff' loads using 185gr and 225gr cast bullets. Occasionally I'll run a box or two of factory hardball through them.

Neither gun has been modified or tuned, other than what was done by the factory. Both guns feed and function reliably...very reliably. I consider myself lucky, because with the light loads I'm using I expected problems from the S&W. The recoil spring on it is noticeably heavier than on the Colt. Neither gun has bobbled. I'm impressed by the inherent accuracy of the S&W. I expected the Colt to be accurate, it was built and sold as a target gun, but the S&W can hold it's own in the accuracy department, which really surprised me. My ability is the limiting factor with either gun.

I can't speak to the other brands mentioned so far, but if my S&W is representative of what is leaving the Springfield factory I don't think you can go wrong with one. Best wishes in whatever choice you make.

If you want a quality reliable "old style" handgun, get a Makarov. Those guns are the AK of the handgun world and will run 100%, and for the price of a 1911 you can buy a Glock 21 for a .45, and get the Makarov for the history.

Ok, a Ruger is 700. So for the same amount you can buy, in Mass, a new Glock 21 AND a Makarov? Riiiight.

Ok, a Ruger is 700. So for the same amount you can buy, in Mass, a new Glock 21 AND a Makarov? Riiiight.

He said his budget was $900. But if the OP is in MA, probably not. Still, pretty ****ing close and you are getting 2 extremely nice, reliable firearms for the price of 1 shitty, outdated one.

I have a Kimber Custom Target I bought back when they were available in Mass. the best $600.00 I ever spent on a gun.

This was when they first came out maybe they were better then. Mine is reliable and a tack driver.

I also have a S&W Commander size that functions fine but the Kimber is more accurate and has a better factory trigger.

Everyone who shoots the Kimber asks who did the trigger, but it is the way it came.

Supermoto, what's your opinion on SA 1911s. I'm currently looking at the Range Officer and Mil-spec A1 in stainless. Thanks.

SA are pretty good, like have there ups and downs as all mass producers do. I don't know much about the RO or A1. Have only seen 1 RO in action and didn't get to shoot it. It ran, looked OK.

I have never seen a milspec, but have heard they have a 2 piece barrel, if that is the case, I would pass on it

I'll never own a S&W 1911 because of those ugly external extractors. That's a deal breaker for me.

Sti is the manufacturer, spartan is the model... when I do a search for STI front sight broke off, one of the first links is for a Ruger[rofl], none seem to be for STI guns..odd.

You want evidence...go look at your own rusted gun. Odd thing is I have 3 STI in the white and they have zero rust, weird

I can't, there is no rust on it. [thinking] Not on either one actually.

No one is doubting Ruger having QC issues on certain models. I wanted proof, which you still have yet to show me. That's odd.

I also know nothing about STi or Spartan, so excuse me for not knowing every little thing, about every gun on the market today.

You know more about guns I'm sure, you probably shoot more rounds through them in 1 year, then I will in my entire life. We can agree on that. When you make a statement though, at least back it up with proof. I still have yet to see 1 link about all of these QC issues that Ruger has, or that you speak so much about.

Some people here like Sig, or S&W, or STi, or Ruger. EVERY gun manufacturer out there will have a problem here or there at some point while they are in business. That's a fact. Not just bargain basement gun manufacturers have QC issues.

I stand by what I said to the OP. If you want a 1911 under $1k, get the SR1911, Remington, etc.

Last edited:
I'd go for the Rem R1 enhanced... Beautiful 1911. Absolutely love mine.

I just got a Remington R1 and I love it. The first time I went to the range with it I was more accurate than with my Sig P226. The grip is perfect for me, the action is smooth. It looks great and handles better.

Picked up a Remington R1 last week. On Friday it was my first change to get to my range and put 75 rounds down the pipe with zero problems. Not a 1911 expert but very happy with my purchase at a good price from ODS in S. Yarmouth.

I also vote for the R1 enhanced. I have that and a sig scorpion, which I like more, but I honestly think the r1 outshoots the sig right now. I think the scorpion is higher quality, and I like having the rail, but for the money you're looking to spend I think the R1 would be a really good start. It's a little lighter and doesn't recoil as hard surprisingly. And it's easier to find a holster for :/

My brain is going in a million directions. My father in law has a Ruger SR1911 (was 725 cash) at a shop down the Cape and he said he likes it. Only about 3, maybe 4 months old. I'm gonna go meet up with him and put some rounds down range and see how it is.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Auto ordinance 1911 cant beat it for the price the ruger is also a nice option for a couple more bucks

Last edited:
I said in this thread I have had issues with it. Not anymore though.

So I was looking for some links that you so badly want. But I found this was a lot more interesting.....You said you were the only one with rust issue here (page 2), but we know that isn't true from your own thread about rust. You say here (page 2) that the rust could be your fault, but in that thread you say it has to be the gun. Page 1 Remington is junk, but then you recommend it on page two.

Have you thought about being a politician?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom