• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of getting a 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
I measured my 1911 and its 1.25 so I guess your numbers are off ?

And you can buy thinner 1911 grips .

Facts are one company makes each of the guns you listed . There's a crap load of 1911 brands . Some mite have shitty qc....

Some changed enough of the gun I wouldn't say its a real 1911 .

As long as a gun company's qc is in check don't matter what gun it is . It's a pissing match of whose is better . It just come down to what you like .

I said BASE widths for specific models. Numbers are fine, and pulled right off manufacturers websites.

Wait a MINUTE!!!!! So what your telling me is that a OPINION and information on models and their construction methods that may not be current do NOT equal FACT?!?!?! Your kidding me!

Some how I still doubt you'll get it

Edit: and yes, those stamped sigs are the real sigs [wink]

Saying the Sig has a crappy trigger or a decocker is stupid is opinion, calling a gun that has a reputation as unreliable a poor design is a fact. 1911s are notorious for feeding issues and are known to not like hollow points. So why would someone choose a 1911 over a Glock, that I can take out of the box and put 1,000 flawless rounds through? I recently hit the 1,000 mark with my Glock 23 without a single malfunction. When I had a Ruger SR1911, I couldn't get through 2 mags without a least 1 FTF.

Pistol, Semi-automatic, .45 caliber, Model 1911

2.5 million + made
Primary US military sidearm for almost seventy-five years (and still going)
Service Record:
WW1
WW2
Korea
Vietnam
+ a boatload of smaller operations

Still being called back into use today.

Yeah you sold me, hero.

The 1911 has a long extensive, distinguished and proven combat service record in every corner of the globe and in every climatic condition and environment known to man with one of the best, most highly trained and efficient military forces in history.

Now you may personally think the design is aged.
You may personally like more recently developed designs.
You may feel that modern brands are not making quality 1911's.

But when you state the 1911 is a shitty design, it is really moronic and ignorant

The 1911 was in use for as long as it was because it WAS the best design of it's time. Before the military started using the 1911 they were using revolvers, which are not good combat handguns at all. The 1911 was a huge leap forward. I'd take a auto-loader that jams every 2-3 mags over a revolver that will get me killed reloading.

As for it's service record, once the military chooses a gun they tend to stick with it for a long time. The cost to replace an entire arsenal with new guns, spare parts, ammo, mags, holsters, and train soldiers to use and maintain them is astronomical. I read an article recently about how the military was sticking with the M4 over better alternatives because the cost to replace that weapon would have been too high, so they wanted a "huge leap forward". The 1911 was a huge leap forward in it's time, just like the Beretta was a huge leap forward over the 1911.

"1. A decocker is the stupedist thing on the planet "
"Opinion."

About 10% of SIG owners love de cock too![grin]

Last edited:
I said BASE widths for specific models. Numbers are fine, and pulled right off manufacturers websites.

Saying the Sig has a crappy trigger or a decocker is stupid is opinion, calling a gun that has a reputation as unreliable a poor design is a fact. 1911s are notorious for feeding issues and are known to not like hollow points. So why would someone choose a 1911 over a Glock, that I can take out of the box and put 1,000 flawless rounds through? I recently hit the 1,000 mark with my Glock 23 without a single malfunction. When I had a Ruger SR1911, I couldn't get through 2 mags without a least 1 FTF.

The 1911 was in use for as long as it was because it WAS the best design of it's time. Before the military started using the 1911 they were using revolvers, which are not good combat handguns at all. The 1911 was a huge leap forward. I'd take a auto-loader that jams every 2-3 mags over a revolver that will get me killed reloading.

As for it's service record, once the military chooses a gun they tend to stick with it for a long time. The cost to replace an entire arsenal with new guns, spare parts, ammo, mags, holsters, and train soldiers to use and maintain them is astronomical. I read an article recently about how the military was sticking with the M4 over better alternatives because the cost to replace that weapon would have been too high, so they wanted a "huge leap forward". The 1911 was a huge leap forward in it's time, just like the Beretta was a huge leap forward over the 1911.

Further proof that big boy conversations are a little over your head. You may find my opinions "stupid" but at least they are based in reality. There is a very good reason not very many instructors will recommend a sig as a defensive weapon. The last course at the sig academy out of the entire class there was 1 sig. There are even fewer idpa/ipsc competitors that shoot anything with a da/sa trigger and decocker for good reason as well. You further prove your ignorance with your enthusiasm on "passing 1000 rounds with your glock 23". 1000 rounds is nothing, period. I have a glock with over 20,000 through it and a m&p with over 12,000, and my 1911 will have more than 1000 through it in a week or two.

Ill say it again if you shoot sigs the best, buy sigs and enjoy them. I dont like sigs or anything with a da/sa trigger and decocker for that matter so i shoot and own what i like and what works well for me Unfortunately you continually prove to us all you are the prototypical Internet gun forum ninja. You talk/type far more crap than you actually shoot.

Edit: You really do like to talk a lot, so I must assume your a real good shot with your 220. Please do make us a video with some typical defensive pistol shooting situations with your handguns so we can all see what were doing wrong. Maybe you could at least post your timer info from your last shooting season

Last edited:
I was looking at a Ruger the other day but can't find a dealer that has Sigs in stock.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Check out Northshore firearms. They had a couple of sigs, Ruger and S&W this past Friday

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I've had my SR1911 for 1 1/2 years now and have put roughly 2000 rounds through it in hot, cold and wet weather and have never had a problem with it. I've used cheap aluminum round and expensive rounds and have had no feeding or firing issues and no rust problems. I do clean and lube it after each use. I'm sure there are better high end, high priced 1911s around but I've found the SR1911 to be a very good reasonably priced, reliable and accurate gun and it's a keeper for me. [thumbsup]

Love my Sig Sauer TTT. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Looks and feels great. Stainless frame. Nitron (black) coated slide. Beautiful wood grips. Checkered front and rear of the grip. skeletonized trigger is now standard (vs. what's shown on their sight)

TTT.jpg

Sig has a different (squared) slide profile that won't work with some holsters. I got an IWB holster molded with the Sig 1911, and it's great (theisholsters.com).

I got it at Four Seasons the weekend before last November's election, for something like $865. First Defense in Uxbridge had one as of last week.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Oh my...

Some mighty defensive people here.

Its OK to like your Rugers... And it's OK to like your Sigs... Freedom of choice, and even better that we have so much to choose from.

Me... I like my Rem R1 Enhanced. Are there better, sure... Are there worse... Sure.

Personally, I liked the Ruger and would have preferred a series 70 over the 80. But I'd rather not have to deal with issues out of the box and being taken care of, even if it is quickly.

For the OPs price point (in 1911s), there are lots of folks that praise S&W, Ruger, Sigs... As for Rem, this is probably the most love I've seen expressed about them. But I don't take it personally... And feel no need to justify that it's a great gun. It works for me and it makes me smile when it goes bang. And I'm happy it goes bang every time I squeeze the trigger, and even more happy it hits what I'm aiming at. It's way more accurate than I am, which makes me want to come up to its bar.

And personally, I like the 1911 platform. The SA trigger is hard to beat, I'm used to the cocked and lock style from my earlier days with the sport. So much so that if I could get a Sig P938 here in MA, it'd be what I carried.

Last edited:
eqapa3yp.jpg

Been waiting for over a year for them to start selling the poly 1911...

Maybe the OP doesn't need an impervious gun this time around? Considering his name is glock fan 21, it sounds like he probably already has a glock, so wtf are we really arguing about here?

Further proof that big boy conversations are a little over your head. You may find my opinions "stupid" but at least they are based in reality. There is a very good reason not very many instructors will recommend a sig as a defensive weapon. The last course at the sig academy out of the entire class there was 1 sig. There are even fewer idpa/ipsc competitors that shoot anything with a da/sa trigger and decocker for good reason as well. You further prove your ignorance with your enthusiasm on "passing 1000 rounds with your glock 23". 1000 rounds is nothing, period. I have a glock with over 20,000 through it and a m&p with over 12,000, and my 1911 will have more than 1000 through it in a week or two.

Ill say it again if you shoot sigs the best, buy sigs and enjoy them. I dont like sigs or anything with a da/sa trigger and decocker for that matter so i shoot and own what i like and what works well for me Unfortunately you continually prove to us all you are the prototypical Internet gun forum ninja. You talk/type far more crap than you actually shoot.

Edit: You really do like to talk a lot, so I must assume your a real good shot with your 220. Please do make us a video with some typical defensive pistol shooting situations with your handguns so we can all see what were doing wrong. Maybe you could at least post your timer info from your last shooting season

We have strayed way off the point. I don't give a damn what people use for IDPA. Like I said before, I don't give a **** if the OP buys a Sig, HK, Glock, S&W, etc. The point I'm trying to make is anything is better than a 1911. You keep using your own personal opinions to argue the Sig sucks. I personally like having a DA/SA trigger and a decocker. If I wanted to get personal I could say manual safeties suck and the 1911 is ugly, but I don't. I'm sticking with facts and the 1911s feeding issues is a fact. Just go to the Firearms forum right now and see there is someone in their having feeding issues with their 1911.

Besides, you can buy Sig P220 with a DA only trigger and no decocker, or a SA only model with a thumb safety, and your only weak arguments are invalid.

Maybe the OP doesn't need an impervious gun this time around? Considering his name is glock fan 21, it sounds like he probably already has a glock, so wtf are we really arguing about here?

Why would you want an inferior gun? What happens the day you need to fall back on the 1911? Which family member do you decide you hate enough after SHTF to hand the 1911?

All of my guns need to be 100% reliable, no exceptions. It seems a lot of people here just want to own a 1911 so they can say they do. Weird.

Last edited:
Love my Sig Sauer TTT. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Looks and feels great. Stainless frame. Nitron (black) coated slide. Beautiful wood grips. Checkered front and rear of the grip. skeletonized trigger is now standard (vs. what's shown on their sight)

View attachment 75214

Sig has a different (squared) slide profile that won't work with some holsters. I got an IWB holster molded with the Sig 1911, and it's great (theisholsters.com).

I got it at Four Seasons the weekend before last November's election, for something like $865. First Defense in Uxbridge had one as of last week.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

This ^^^^^ except I got a SigTac holster and bought mine at Pullman arms.

Here mine:
6105E78C-orig_zps2dcc2c27.jpg

With black WC slim grips:
3DDF6CE7-orig_zps8cf413e9.jpg

I'm not a Ruger hater by any means, but there is a very serious issue with some of their current QC issues. I have been to two stores lately and seen rust around the front sight on SR9c models

I really hope 1911's are the problem Internet armchair commandos make them out to be. I just picked up a s&w e series and as soon as I find enough ammo I look forward to giving it a beat run. I don't like fussy guns or guns that don't work so my 1911 experience could be short.

I find this rusting comment to be very curious and interesting since the slide on the SR9c is stainless steel, as is the entire SR1911. Are you positive that what you saw on those SR9's wasn't just grease, or some other discoloration from an external source. I know some grades of stainless can form minor corrosion, but I find it extremely hard to fathom a stainless slide rusting while sitting in a display case with no use, or other environmental factors present. I personally own a SR9c, and did own the SR1911 and saw no evidence that either was prone to any kind of corrosion at all other than slight discoloration on the muzzle end of the slide of the 1911 after a range trip with many rounds down the pipe. That was very easily removed while cleaning, though.

I find this rusting comment to be very curious and interesting since the slide on the SR9c is stainless steel, as is the entire SR1911. Are you positive that what you saw on those SR9's wasn't just grease, or some other discoloration from an external source. I know some grades of stainless can form minor corrosion, but I find it extremely hard to fathom a stainless slide rusting while sitting in a display case with no use, or other environmental factors present. I personally own a SR9c, and did own the SR1911 and saw no evidence that either was prone to any kind of corrosion at all other than slight discoloration on the muzzle end of the slide of the 1911 after a range trip with many rounds down the pipe. That was very easily removed while cleaning, though.

I'm not familiar with the details of the rusting on these guns, but I'm familiar with stainless. There are lots of ways stainless can be contaminated during the manufacturing process, and you wouldn't know it was contaminated until it started rusting.

I work with polished stainless a lot and if you leave a sanding pad out in the open for an extended period of time (in a metal shop) and steel dust gets on it, you're risking contaminating anything you use that sanding pad on, so we keep all of our sanding equipment covered or bagged when not in use.

We have strayed way off the point. I don't give a damn what people use for IDPA. Like I said before, I don't give a **** if the OP buys a Sig, HK, Glock, S&W, etc. The point I'm trying to make is anything is better than a 1911. You keep using your own personal opinions to argue the Sig sucks. I personally like having a DA/SA trigger and a decocker. If I wanted to get personal I could say manual safeties suck and the 1911 is ugly, but I don't. I'm sticking with facts and the 1911s feeding issues is a fact. Just go to the Firearms forum right now and see there is someone in their having feeding issues with their 1911.

Besides, you can buy Sig P220 with a DA only trigger and no decocker, or a SA only model with a thumb safety, and your only weak arguments are invalid.

Why would you want an inferior gun? What happens the day you need to fall back on the 1911? Which family member do you decide you hate enough after SHTF to hand the 1911?

All of my guns need to be 100% reliable, no exceptions. It seems a lot of people here just want to own a 1911 so they can say they do. Weird.

Yes, YOU have strayed way off point. This thread is about 1911's The only feeding issues with 1911's mentioned here were yours. Maybe try not to have sissy little limp wrists ok

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not familiar with the details of the rusting on these guns, but I'm familiar with stainless. There are lots of ways stainless can be contaminated during the manufacturing process, and you wouldn't know it was contaminated until it started rusting.

I work with polished stainless a lot and if you leave a sanding pad out in the open for an extended period of time (in a metal shop) and steel dust gets on it, you're risking contaminating anything you use that sanding pad on, so we keep all of our sanding equipment covered or bagged when not in use.

Yes, very much positive. There are plenty of other threads on ruger forums and others about this as well.

I for the life of me don't understand how its possible either

Few people here never even held a 1911, yet they know everything about them by doing extensive online research and compiling opinions of others that also never shot or held one.

Internet information virus

I do already have a Glock its a Gen 2 G19. If I get another Glock for the range I would like a nib G17. But I really like the 1911's.
epetagyj.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

I don't get why theta such a big stink over this with this 556 guy. Op wants a range toy. Emphasis on toy. Nobody said this was going to be the only gun he would ever own again.

This reminds me of the day my neighbor bought a Dodge Viper. His cousin kept shaking his head because the car didn't have ABS, power steering, xenon lights, GPS, etc etc. He just missed the point of the car entirely. We took it for a spin and were grinning ear to ear while the whiner stayed on the driveway crying about what a waste of money it was.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I don't get why theta such a big stink over this with this 556 guy. Op wants a range toy. Emphasis on toy. Nobody said this was going to be the only gun he would ever own again.

This reminds me of the day my neighbor bought a Dodge Viper. His cousin kept shaking his head because the car didn't have ABS, power steering, xenon lights, GPS, etc etc. He just missed the point of the car entirely. We took it for a spin and were grinning ear to ear while the whiner stayed on the driveway crying about what a waste of money it was.

556 is just a limp wrist troll..... His toys are the best[rolleyes]

Few people here never even held a 1911, yet they know everything about them by doing extensive online research and compiling opinions of others that also never shot or held one.

There is plenty of good 1911 advice in this thread and others, if you know who to trust. Generally, I dismiss the 1911 opinions of anyone who's not an experienced competition shooter or gunsmith.

Cute story, but not the same thing. Maybe if Dodge Vipers were known to stall out at every 7th red light it might be similar.

Yes, YOU have strayed way off point. This thread is about 1911's The only feeding issues with 1911's mentioned here were yours. Maybe try not to have sissy little limp wrists ok

I may have when recommending something other than a 1911, but you took the argument to the low point when you started using features against it, both of those features optional. Last time I checked, feeding issues weren't optional in a 1911.

I don't limp wrist my guns, but even if I did why would anyone want a gun that is so sensitive to operator error?

If you had taken the time to actually read my posts you'd see I have owned a 1911 before. I've also fired probably a dozen different ones. Every single one from a Taurus to a Kimber had feeding issues.

There are much better options than a 1911 if you want a fun range toy. Why you would choose one of the most frustrating platforms is beyond me.

I'm gonna call it quits in this thread because now we're just arguing in circles. OP, I just figured I'd give you some options and save you a $900 headache. If you decide to get a 1911 this thread is going to pop into your head halfway through your first mag. [laugh]

Picked up an R1 in stainless. Nice shooter right out the box. Haven't had any feeding problems yet and have put a variety of brands through it. Nice range gun for the money.

I wouldn't buy one of the first few year vipers . They basically welded two different cranks to make a v10 crank.
They where know to snap and you'd
Be driving a v6 if the vibration didnt destroy the block.
My buddy went to uti and they had one of those cranks on display ...

When a company is pumping any product out there a chance of a bad product out in the wild . Can be from any company .

I have a SIG GSR 1911 and I've built a 1911 on a new frame but with 1943 slide and small bits...my first build.

Both have similar function issues. After a cartridge is chambered and the trigger pulled, there is a loud noise and sort of mechanical shock. The cartridges never come out looking the same as when they went in...there's always a dent in the back and the whole front has gone missing.

I'm so frustrated with these guns... this happens every F'in time!

amusing thread! I must be a lucky SOB, I have 6 1911's and none of them ever choke on a single round, even the two 9mm 1911's which are supposed to be the worst.

Always wanted a Viper toooooooooooooo

Try to find an STI Spartan for $600 or a used STI Trojan. much better guns than what is currently being offered in MA

I'd stay away from Ruger. They are having quality control issues, guns rusting and sights falling off.

+ 1

I'd go with an STI also.

I'm going to pick up my first 1911 soon too.
I've handled a (small) variety of 1911's and have shot a few different one's. The S&W and Sigs were most appealing to me and since I recently found a used sig that I liked at a price I liked, that's what I'll be getting. Should have it early next week, I'll be sure to let you know how it runs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom