Thinking of getting a 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a SIG GSR 1911 and I've built a 1911 on a new frame but with 1943 slide and small bits...my first build.

Both have similar function issues. After a cartridge is chambered and the trigger pulled, there is a loud noise and sort of mechanical shock. The cartridges never come out looking the same as when they went in...there's always a dent in the back and the whole front has gone missing.

I'm so frustrated with these guns... this happens every F'in time!

Lol. Funny and +1

I'm pretty sure 556 whont get it though

I have a SIG GSR 1911 and I've built a 1911 on a new frame but with 1943 slide and small bits...my first build.

Both have similar function issues. After a cartridge is chambered and the trigger pulled, there is a loud noise and sort of mechanical shock. The cartridges never come out looking the same as when they went in...there's always a dent in the back and the whole front has gone missing.

2b197262-da91-44b3-9397-bc641bd4f993_zps543a5f15.jpg

It is a cute story. And completely relevant. Vipers do have inherent issues that can leave you stranded and others that are a safety hazard to some. Warwickben mentioned one. Another concerns the engine seals. They're also known to tramline a lot. No ABS or traction control which leads to a lot of fishtailing. Don't think he cared about any of those.

You can sit here and bash 1911s till you're blue in the face but the bottom line is that you're not convincing anyone based on these replies you're getting. There is no perfect gun for everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I do already have a Glock its a Gen 2 G19. If I get another Glock for the range I would like a nib G17. But I really like the 1911's.
epetagyj.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
Nothing wrong with that. You're not eternally linked to a gun. They hold their value better than most things anyways.

Anyone have any experience with a Springfield Armory 1911? I heard they are great and might be able to get a very good condition one with very low round count.

Anyone have any experience with a Springfield Armory 1911? I heard they are great and might be able to get a very good condition one with very low round count.

Glockfan71,

There are alot of nice 1911's out there and chances are many of them are owned by NES members close by you that will let you hold/shoot theirs before you commit to buy one. All of mine( Wilson Combat, Nighthwak Custom, Ed Brown and Guncrafter Industries No Name) are outside of your price range but you are welcome to meet me at the Taunton in-door range and try a few out but they will spoil you.....listen to Supermoto, he really does know what he is talking about.

My best friend owns his own shop in RI (newer store) and he's gonna look into a few for me. He knows some people in Ma that have a bunch of 1911's I can shoot....

I think that NES Mod Pilgrim said it best. To paraphrase... Lots of people have 1911's that are very reliable and very accurate and have been for years.

I own a Sig 220, 226 and 229, but I also own 2- 1911's. I really like Sig P series handguns, but if I really had to make an important shot, I would grab a 1911.

I have never personally had a malfunction with any of the aforementioned guns, but a friend did have a malfunction once with my 229. He was a new shooter and I think he might have been limp wristing it.

Any semi auto pistol can have issues. There are a lot of things that can effect reliability. That is why a lot of people rely on revolvers

[laugh2]Ok, this is about the funniest damn post I've read on here in a long time! [laugh] Thanks for adding some levity to a thread that has fast become a huge pissing contest about either 1911s being total junk, or the typical "brand" infighting.[rolleyes]

SR556 seems to be on a mission from God to make sure that no one ever buys a 1911 ever again.

I don't get it. Are you such a humanitarian that you feel you must try and beat it into peoples heads that 1911s are no good, with a fervor that rivals many religions, despite the majority of people who post here have had no problems with them? Or are you a gun dealer who doesn't sell 1911's and is looking to make money on other brands?

You still haven't answered my question in the other thread about whether you've ever owned or even shot a 1911.

SR556 seems to be on a mission from God to make sure that no one ever buys a 1911 ever again.

I don't get it. Are you such a humanitarian that you feel you must try and beat it into peoples heads that 1911s are no good, with a fervor that rivals many religions, despite the majority of people who post here have had no problems with them? Or are you a gun dealer who doesn't sell 1911's and is looking to make money on other brands?

You still haven't answered my question in the other thread about whether you've ever owned or even shot a 1911.

I've been wondering the same thing with all of the negative things he posted in this thread. Honestly, if they were such unreliable pieces of crap, I would think that people would dump them fairly soon after buying and word would have gotten around in the past century or so...[laugh]

I might just go with a P220.....easy to find and under my budget. Heard its a great gun...

NO!!!!!! IT'S 1911 OR NOTHINGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!....lol

Ok I never shot a p220 but I have heard good things about them also [grin]

Last edited:

Keep feeding the troll...

1911s are iconic and badass. Just like the AR, everyone should have at least 1.

If your only gonna own one . For the love of god it should be a true 1911 :).

Non of that ambi junk, external extractors , ramped barrels, extended every thing .

Non of that ambi junk, external extractors , ramped barrels, extended every thing .

You mean exactly what I've set out to build my E Series into?! [smile]. My personal opinion is "original" only applies if its actually and original usgi issue. Evertything else is just a copy anyways.

I want a modern, fast and accurate pistol intended on putting a large quanity of lead down range in a hurry!

But to each his or her own

I do recommend the beavertail, though. Unless the web of your hand has been acting up and needs to be put in its place.

HammerBite.jpg

Not my hand, just a photo I pulled off Google. I had the same issue with a RIA 1911A1. Wasn't a huge deal, but it did get a bit obnoxious. Unless someone has a way to avoid this (besides a low grip), then I'll stay away from the rat-tail safeties.

"I prefer the ol' 1911. Served my country well" ~Robert DeNiro, Ronin. I want one but now I am hearing all this negativity in these posts.....I'm gonna see if I can rent one at AFS.

Yeah you wouldn't want to have a stronger barrel, stronger lugs and better feed ramp

Why would I want that . Jmb didn't spec that crap out ...

I mean it if you gonna buy just one 1911 to have , so you can say you have a 1911. it makes more sense to have one truer to the way they where first made . Now if your only gonna own one 1911 but you gonna use the crap out of it get what every parts make it better for you .

Notice I didn't say have the m1911 frame , sights, high cut ejection port etc etc .

Why would I want that . Jmb didn't spec that crap out ...

I mean it if you gonna buy just one 1911 to have , so you can say you have a 1911. it makes more sense to have one truer to the way they where first made . Now if your only gonna own one 1911 but you gonna use the crap out of it get what every parts make it better for you .

Notice I didn't say have the m1911 frame , sights, high cut ejection port etc etc .

I find it funny when I here this argument used. My primary collecting interest is military weapons and I own more than a couple browning designs..... John Browning was a brilliant inventor. I'm reasonably sure given today's modern production capabilities ammintion and defensive/battlefield conditions Mr browning would be more than happy to update his design based on what options are availible

"I prefer the ol' 1911. Served my country well" ~Robert DeNiro, Ronin. I want one but now I am hearing all this negativity in these posts.....I'm gonna see if I can rent one at AFS.

Look. If this is a toy buy what makes you happy, period . Worrying about what dumb ass forum members ( my self included) think about your guns is a waste of time.

The "actual facts" are. 1 buy from any of the quality gun makers and they will take care of you if you have an issue. That stands true for any of the models they make. 2. Very very small numbers of any gun made by a good gun maker have the realibilty issues 556 mentioned....3. Any gun model can and will fail. Its a mechanical piece it h
Bottom line is buy what makes you happy. Life is short and guns are expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom