• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

They can't steal it if they can't find it - the coolest safe in the world

Hi All,
I'm based in NH and have made something which I think is pretty cool, and wanted to share it here.
Gun safes are ugly.
Gun safes advertise the fact that you have guns.
All safes can be cracked.
In the 18th century, high end furniture often contained secret compartments with the concept of: if they can't find it, they can't steal it.
Thus, I have designed and built what is possibly the coolest hideaway device in the world.

I welcome your feedback.

Thanks!
Matt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pYqquG27pg&feature=plcp

Nightstand design is done:

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably way out of my range, but I'd love to see some sort of pricing structure.

Like how much for something bedside table sizeish?

That is amazing. If I could afford to I'd have you build me one. While I wish you the most success, I am worried this will become popular, which would defeat it's purpose !

How about some prices or structures? I'm sure this is a big example of what you could do, but I'm venturing that there are more table friendly stuff that can be considered, right?

Care to share some plans for us fellow woodworkers to play with? I haven't taken off a finger in almost 20 years and am way overdue.

-R

Rick, severed phalanges bleed, and blood stains on the shelves would be a telltale sign that evil, killy things are nearby......it's a dead giveaway. Make sure you go with a nice, dark wood. [smile]

Ikea should totally get in on that action. Günsāf is my vote for the name.

Are you kidding me? Have you looked at their assembly directions? I think they already started working on this thing, I have a picture of their engineers working on the directions for assembly...
4387282631_91f02e1c18_o.jpg

Awesome design and excellent craftsmanship...my only concern would be fire protection. as others have said a night side table along the same lines would be great

It can be very hard to sanitize a house of all evidence that a gun owner lives there, so one of these should be accompanied by a decoy safe with some of your lower valued guns.

Back
Top Bottom