• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

They can't steal it if they can't find it - the coolest safe in the world

Seasoned B&E thieves use metal detectors so out of sight may not be much protection. A friend of mine lost a beautiful Ed Brown custom 45 that he had hidden in a wall with no visible signs of its presence. The officers responding to his call broke the bad news of this practice to him.

The good news is that the gun (an Ed Brown 45 comp gun) turned up in NYC. A local thug was arrested for carrying it. NYPD contacted him and promised to return the gun after the thug's trial, so he had to wait. He was later contacted with some good news; somebody capped the thug, so there would be no trial and no wait. He then recieved his gun with no visible damage, except the mark that the arresting officed placed on it for evidentiary purposes. He also recieved (at his request) a copy of the thug's death certificate. You gotta love a happy ending.

Seasoned B&E thieves use metal detectors so out of sight may not be much protection.

"Seasoned B&E thieves", professionals who would actually use metal detectors to find hidden guns, have to be laughably rare.

Household burglaries are mostly the work of opportunistic amateurs.

"Seasoned B&E thieves", professionals who would actually use metal detectors to find hidden guns, have to be laughably rare.

Household burglaries are mostly the work of opportunistic amateurs.

Tell that to my buddy who lost the Ed Brown gun. The cops who responded to the call said the use of metal detectors was rather common.

The success of this product will be its undoing, unfortunately. Any security-through-obscurity approach is vulnerable to popularity. How many hits have the youtube vides had?

I don't doubt the cop said that.

I'm just calling the cop a damned liar.

I have no reason to doubt the cop. The statement was "seasoned B&E thieves" - of which there certainly are some. About 45% of home break-ins are neighborhood teenagers, but that leaves more than half other kinds of thieves. In NYC where I grew up there were very sophisticated, organized thieves who hit wealthy neighborhoods, defeating burglar alarms and avoiding other detection in the process. With so many converting assets into tangible, metal assets like gold and silver I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a crook with a metal detector. Even a $100 detector will find gold, silver, and guns in a wall or ...bookcase.

Here's an example:

Hi-Tech Burglars Breaking Into Home Safes in Sydney, Australia | MESA Safe News

Seasoned B&E thieves use metal detectors so out of sight may not be much protection. A friend of mine lost a beautiful Ed Brown custom 45 that he had hidden in a wall with no visible signs of its presence. The officers responding to his call broke the bad news of this practice to him.

The good news is that the gun (an Ed Brown 45 comp gun) turned up in NYC. A local thug was arrested for carrying it. NYPD contacted him and promised to return the gun after the thug's trial, so he had to wait. He was later contacted with some good news; somebody capped the thug, so there would be no trial and no wait. He then recieved his gun with no visible damage, except the mark that the arresting officed placed on it for evidentiary purposes. He also recieved (at his request) a copy of the thug's death certificate. You gotta love a happy ending.

This story sounds VERY familiar - the EXACT same thing happened to a friend of mine in Framingham, except that the gun was not "in a wall", but was stored in a gun bag that was out in plain sight in two bedroom condo. The gun was an Ed Brown; the thug's name was Nelson de La Rosa; the arresting officer was Michael Capusco (sp?); and he carved the initials MC onto the metal part of the grip. I was at the condo helping the victim fix his door when the Framingham PD came to take fingerprints, and was also present 2 years later when the gun was returned to the owner. The responding officer definitely did not "break the news" about metal detectors to the owner. Furthermore, the totality of the circumstances suggested it was a quick in&out. If the perps had conducted a more thorough search they would have also grabbed the Sig P220 that was in a briefcase - it was even pre 1998, so I don't think the briefcase was locked.

The owner requested the autopsy report, however, all he was able to get was the death certificate of the thug; the grand jury minutes of the indictment; and the evidence pouch the gun was stored in. The owner's initials are the name of a popular movie of some years back.

As another subtle detail, it was not the NYPD but the Framingham PD that contacted the owner. The NYPD contacted the reporting agency (Framingham) when the gun showed up stolen in NCIC.

The thugs death certificate indicated 8 hits with a .45 (while out on bail).

The chances of two Ed Browns getting stolen; showing up in MA; and returning with a death certificate are so close to zero that I suggest that somewhere along the line the detail of the metal detector got added.

Tell that to my buddy who lost the Ed Brown gun. The cops who responded to the call said the use of metal detectors was rather common.
Must have been some other person who had an Ed Brown stolen; recovered in NY; and returned with the arresting officer's initials and the death certificate of the perp.

Last edited:
The person whose Ed Brown was boosted and subsequently returned with the death certificate is REALLY interested in learning who Gammon is, and is curious how the part about the metal detector got added in. He also expresses his appreciation to Gammon for referring to him as "a friend" rather than "idiot who had a gun stolen".

Update:

I heard from Gammon - the Ed Brown owner and I have known him for 20+ years. He was definitely talking about the same situation I was, however, he somehow thought there was a metal detector involved.

Last edited:
The person whose Ed Brown was boosted and subsequently returned with the death certificate is REALLY interested in learning who Gammon is, and is curious how the part about the metal detector got added in. He also expresses his appreciation to Gammon for referring to him as "a friend" rather than "idiot who had a gun stolen".

Update:

I heard from Gammon - the Ed Brown owner and I have known him for 20+ years. He was definitely talking about the same situation I was, however, he somehow thought there was a metal detector involved.

Small world... and an interesting story, to boot!

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom