The U.N. is coming for your guns - Update #402

It is a pretty biased picture obviously trying to manipulate people. She looks like she could be 12 years old in the picture taken from behind, and we can't be certain what her crime was.

The point still stands, though.
Boo on her for dressing so nice for getting shot???

The multiple bodies on the ground is another PR coup for china too. [sad2]

It's to close to the election for anyone to be associated with something like this. Obama knows it could cost him the election. Even though we don't like to think so on this board, there are a sizable group Democrats who own guns as well that wouldn't take kindly to this treaty. Overall though I wouldn't be surprised if this came back up again after the elections are over.

Maybe we should have kept quiet and let him sign it, now we will never hear the end of how pro gun Obama is. [laugh]

Credit where credit is due, they did the right thing. Regardless of their reasons and what they might have signed, they stopped.

It's good that they rejected it - but I fear they did so for the wrong reasons. I think many in our government were more concerned about their ability to sell arms to Israel and Taiwan than they were about protecting the 2nd amendment.

It's good that they rejected it - but I fear they did so for the wrong reasons. I think many in our government were more concerned about their ability to sell arms to Israel and Taiwan than they were about protecting the 2nd amendment.
Wouldn't surprise me. Between the US, French and Russian governments you cover a sizable quantity of global arms sales...

But hey, individual greed working for the collective good is what capitalism is all about. [wink]

Neither of whom will appear on a ballot this November. I don't think this is a fight Obama wants to pick months from the election.

I realize that. They aren't accountable to the voters directly, which is why I'd expect them to move forward with this. I also understand that if Obama loses, they are out of work, so if we don't sign it, it probably comes from him. It just seems like a big about face for them to push this so hard and then drop out at the last minute.

Interesting tidbit from Bloomberg news service: one of the late additions to the treaty, at China's insistence, was to explicitly exclude any transfers classified as 'aid' or 'gifts' from treaty coverage.

So, you could 'help' Sudan with a couple hundred thousand AK's and it isn't covered, but standard export to legal US purchasers would have to comply. Good treaty.

I realize that. They aren't accountable to the voters directly, which is why I'd expect them to move forward with this. I also understand that if Obama loses, they are out of work, so if we don't sign it, it probably comes from him. It just seems like a big about face for them to push this so hard and then drop out at the last minute.

Interesting tidbit from Bloomberg news service: one of the late additions to the treaty, at China's insistence, was to explicitly exclude any transfers classified as 'aid' or 'gifts' from treaty coverage.

So, you could 'help' Sudan with a couple hundred thousand AK's and it isn't covered, but standard export to legal US purchasers would have to comply. Good treaty.
Precisely circumventing only possible noble purpose which was to limit oppression by governments.

Shocking... Just shocking... (or not)

Valid concern too although should be secondary.

I think we have all been fooled. He never intended to sign this. So now he can say how he listened to people and how pro gun he is.
AFTER election, he WOULD :) sign it right away

Interesting assessment below. Doesn't really sound like the US "didn't sign it" - it sounds like the US torpedoed it:

The almost unbridled optimism of the early morning was, though, abruptly extinguished by an ill-timed intervention by the US, taking diplomatic naiveté to a new height by suggesting that they needed "more time". No serious, substantive objection was posed to justify this claim; only a series of drafting concerns that could have, and should have, been addressed in the remaining hours. What a sad indictment of the world's biggest arms exporter this was. Its incapacity to stay the course and negotiate an agreement that has been a decade in the making is, and should be, an embarrassment to the administration.

The breach, once made, was an open invitation to others who really didn't want an agreement, and they duly accepted it with alacrity. Russia heavily criticised the Diplomatic Conference's President, Ambassador Moritan, and called for an additional two to three weeks to conclude the negotiations. Venezuela said the document lacked balance; Cuba and Syria agreed. The trickle became a flood. So what started as a shambles, ended as a shambles. President Moritan thanked everyone and their gardener and then adopted the briefest of final reports, before accepting "full responsibility" for what was truly a personal as much as a collective failure.

http://armstradetreaty.blogspot.com/

Like I have said before though obama is defitnly not progun I realy don't think gun control is on his agenda and passing gun control will only hurt him now or even after a reelection... he is not after your guns that's not on his agenda he is after your money! If his plan is to tax us to the point we can't buy guns because we can't affoard them there is a posabiltiy...

Like I have said before though obama is defitnly not progun I realy don't think gun control is on his agenda and passing gun control will only hurt him now or even after a reelection... he is not after your guns that's not on his agenda he is after your money! If his plan is to tax us to the point we can't buy guns because we can't affoard them there is a posabiltiy...

Gun control is clearly on his agenda, but it's behind his re-election. If he should win re-election, watch for an abrupt reversal of this position. Also watch for executive orders regarding arms and ammunition sales. If we've learned nothing else about Obama, it's that anything he says has an expiration date. That date is usually as soon as he either gets what he wants or finds a position he thinks will play better with the publice.

Never forget that he is the enemy of freedom.

Fox news is reporting that the US and Russia asked for 'more time' to consider the resolution and a vote could come later this year, perhaps after the elections.

Doesn't sound like it's dead.

Back
Top Bottom