The Price Gouging/Everything Shortage Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped in at Cabela's again today.

There is no longer any bulk 9mm left, which there was a bunch of cases a week ago. The ammo shelves are so empty they've resorted to filling all the empty space with rifle cases. There's a lit of ****ing rifle cases out.

If anyone is looking for reloading equipment (not supplies) they still have a ton of stuff in stock including a bunch of .223 and .308 die sets, etc that I thought would have been gone by now.

Place was still packed, waiting lines for the counter and the pistol cases are unbelievably empty. There was only one used gun rack left where a month ago there were 7-8. Rifle rack is continuing its hurting as well.

The good news is that people are still out looking to buy guns. I thought it would have worn out a little bit by now, but the surge continues. I can't imagine the shear number of new guns that have been sold just here in CT as I stop all around.

I did manage to get what I was looking for, picked up the last 3 boxes of 180gr Barnes TTSX and TSX rounds for my bolt gun.

I want to vomit at the price gouging on our own forum, 500 rounds of .223 for $400????? Are you shitting me $0.80 per round???

please go pound sand chachie

- - - Updated - - -

I want to vomit at the price gouging on our own forum, 500 rounds of .223 for $400????? Are you shitting me $0.80 per round???

friend of mine just bought 200rds of .223 at the Marlborough gun show saturday for $15/box! and that was AFTER the guy gave him a $1 discount/box because he was buying whatever he had left. unbelievable. the guy had his original sticker price on some of the boxes, $5.50/box. [crying]

friend of mine just bought 200rds of .223 at the Marlborough gun show saturday for $15/box! and that was AFTER the guy gave him a $1 discount/box because he was buying whatever he had left. unbelievable. the guy had his original sticker price on some of the boxes, $5.50/box. [crying]

i hope the seller took him to dinner, maybe made him a nice continental breakfast.

i like eggs and bakey after i get ****ed like that.

Just to play devil's advocate here for a minute, and at the risk of rehashing the free market vs buddy****ing argument, what if $0.80/round is the person's minimum price to change over from being a "hoarder" to a seller? What if it's not worth it to them to sell at $0.75/rd so they'd otherwise sit on it? Would you rather have someone hoarding it while a willing buyer at $0.80/rd can't buy?

Say I have a super-awesome Stag AR that I paid $500 for (I don't). I have 3 other ARs, but I love this thing so much that I wouldn't accept double what I paid for it. For $1500 I'd consider selling it though, but I'd still have to think about it. Now suppose there's clearly plenty of demand for my rifle at $1500, and I've seen them selling for up to $2k. Would you rather have the gun sitting in the back of my safe collecting dust while someone with $1500 cash can't find a rifle to buy? Out of principle? Does a would-be seller have some moral obligation to not take the market price for what he has for sale, or do you consider it taking advantage of someone who just doesn't know any better? If the latter, how can you assume that you're taking advantage of them? For all any of us know we'll be looking back at these prices in 5 years wishing we had paid $1500 for that Stag. [/devil's advocate]

Say I have a super-awesome Stag AR that I paid $500 for (I don't). I have 3 other ARs, but I love this thing so much that I wouldn't accept double what I paid for it. For $1500 I'd consider selling it though, but I'd still have to think about it. Now suppose there's clearly plenty of demand for my rifle at $1500, and I've seen them selling for up to $2k. Would you rather have the gun sitting in the back of my safe collecting dust while someone with $1500 cash can't find a rifle to buy? Out of principle? Does a would-be seller have some moral obligation to not take the market price for what he has for sale, or do you consider it taking advantage of someone who just doesn't know any better? If the latter, how can you assume that you're taking advantage of them? For all any of us know we'll be looking back at these prices in 5 years wishing we had paid $1500 for that Stag. [/devil's advocate]

Well, therein lies the problem. If I found myself owning a stag, you can bet your ass I'd be unloading that thing right now, probably for well more than whatever I paid for it. I don't think I could gouge someone that kind of cake for one with a clean conscience, though.

That having been said, I think most of the people paying that much for crap right now are panicky tinfoilers and not so much people who don't know any better... they do know better, they just can't fight the "panic garbage meme" going on in their heads to resist the urge.

I won't gouge the piss out of people but I think morons paying $1500 for stags and olys etc get exactly what they deserve. Caveat Emptor. The buyer has all the power, but it's rarely exercised properly.

-Mike

Just to play devil's advocate here for a minute, and at the risk of rehashing the free market vs buddy****ing argument, what if $0.80/round is the person's minimum price to change over from being a "hoarder" to a seller? What if it's not worth it to them to sell at $0.75/rd so they'd otherwise sit on it? Would you rather have someone hoarding it while a willing buyer at $0.80/rd can't buy?

anyone selling the ammo for buddy-****er prices is ****ing their buddy. that is what makes a buddy-****er. the act of ****ing your buddy or buddies.

i was just handed 210 rounds of M855 5.56 yesterday at the range that i won in a huge-ass karma from hurley431 who is the ultimate NES anti-buddy-****er and a NES hero IMO. look at the bullshit going on and what does he do? gives away nearly $200 worth of ammo at the current market price.

ok so he kept the ammo can. [wink]

It's what the market will bear. If people are willing to pay .80 then it's free market. Ammo guy at Marlboro had a lot of empty pallets of 223 at $850/1000 so .80 is cheep. Saw a case of M855 go for $2006 on gunbroker and 3 boxes of bulk federal 22lr sell for $251. Watched a guy buy 2 boxes of Wally World 9mm that went for $22 in the store and he paid $48 a box yesterday at Marlboro. Maybe Obama can set price controls on ammo to stop the gouging!

Unfortunately there is none to be had from the regular sources so either pay the price or shoot something else. When gas went up did you park your car or did you pay the increased price.

Sorry but welcome to the next 4 years.

dave

Well, therein lies the problem. If I found myself owning a stag, you can bet your ass I'd be unloading that thing right now, probably for well more than whatever I paid for it. I don't think I could gouge someone that kind of cake for one with a clean conscience, though.

That having been said, I think most of the people paying that much for crap right now are panicky tinfoilers and not so much people who don't know any better... they do know better, they just can't fight the "panic garbage meme" going on in their heads to resist the urge.

I won't gouge the piss out of people but I think morons paying $1500 for stags and olys etc get exactly what they deserve. Caveat Emptor. The buyer has all the power, but it's rarely exercised properly.

-Mike

Right. Case in point: I recently noticed that I had an AR parts kit sitting around, yet no ARs currently in the stable. I think I paid $70 for it well over a year ago. I wasn't a seller at my buy-in price on the thinking that I might want to build an AR someday and a spare LPK is nice to have. For 50% more, however, I could see myself helping out someone who actually had a need for it. I threw a listing for it up a couple of weeks back asking $100 for it (a healthy markup) and it was snatched up before the pixels dried, and despite being marked SPF I must have received a dozen follow on PMs asking about it. I think I could have probably marked it up another 50% from there and still sold it within the first week, but didn't want to be that guy. Some might say that I price gouged, others might say that asking >$150 would be gouging. It's all relative to the market and the situations of the specific buyers and sellers involved.

anyone selling the ammo for buddy-****er prices is ****ing their buddy. that is what makes a buddy-****er. the act of ****ing your buddy or buddies.

i was just handed 210 rounds of M855 5.56 yesterday at the range that i won in a huge-ass karma from hurley431 who is the ultimate NES anti-buddy-****er and a NES hero IMO. look at the bullshit going on and what does he do? gives away nearly $200 worth of ammo at the current market price.

ok so he kept the ammo can. [wink]

Hurley431 is a class act no doubt, but should we be distinguishing between buddy-****ers and casual-internet-acquaintance-****ers? Between buddy-****ers and total-stranger-on-the-internet-****ers? For whom do we turn a blind eye to free market principles?

buddy-****ers

I don't know what that means, there are no words I can think of that fit in there and make sense

Hurley431 is a class act no doubt, but should we be distinguishing between buddy-****ers and casual-internet-acquaintance-****ers? Between buddy-****ers and total-stranger-on-the-internet-****ers? For whom do we turn a blind eye to free market principles?

any hole's a goal. ****ing your buddy is ****ing your buddy and the sellers will have to live with it. i haven't done it, and i won't do it. that's just me though.

i am seriously in the grumpy cat mode and i just hate everything.

buddy-****ers

I don't know what that means, there are no words I can think of that fit in there and make sense

rhymes with: mucker, schmucker, clucker, sucker, i am sure you get it...

It's what the market will bear. If people are willing to pay .80 then it's free market. Ammo guy at Marlboro had a lot of empty pallets of 223 at $850/1000 so .80 is cheep.

It's not cheap at all, people are just dumb. If I could give a lie detector interview to all those people who paid that price, only 20% of them would tell me "Oh yeah I needed this ammo because I was really low and needed it for HD/competition this season etc" The other 80% are buying because they believe that "everything is gonna get banned tomorrow" and nothing more. The sad part about it is most of that ammo is gonna sit in said moron's closet and collect dust, and it'll never get used. It's going to the same place all that .380 went during Obamascare.... ammo purgatory. [laugh]

Sure it's a free market, but the pricing right now is being driven mostly by stupidity more than anything else. The panic buyers would be better off going down to the packy and getting a handle of some kind of alcohol and taking a few hits until they calm the **** down.

-Mike

Last edited:
Either Lizzy Warren or Marsha C. should create some sort of agency to protect guns and ammo consumers from unscrupulous sellers.

Thats why I've been trading like a madman.

I recently swapped a DPMS lower for 12 20 round pre-ban AR mags.

I had a trade going with some lowers and mags for a Glock 26, but I lost the guys email and he never followed up.

Don

p.s. some of this stuff is crazy. gThings are not being priced in a logical way. I own 2 9mm carbines. One is a Bobcat Weapons MP5 knockoff SBR. It runs flawlessly. Before Newtown it was worth about $1500. Its still worth about $1500. The other is a KelTec Sub2000. Before Newtown it was worth about $300. I threw it up on GB a few days ago, hoping I'd get a bit more for it. It got bid up to $850!!!

Guy was selling a federal value pack of 9mm at my club for $39. I didn't buy since I just picked up 3 at $21 last week. I don't fault him if he can get it, but I did feel weird since he was looking to stick it to another club member. I guess it pays to just stay on top of things so you don't end up a sucker

Thats why I've been trading like a madman.

I recently swapped a DPMS lower for 12 20 round pre-ban AR mags.

I had a trade going with some lowers and mags for a Glock 26, but I lost the guys email and he never followed up.

Don

p.s. some of this stuff is crazy. gThings are not being priced in a logical way. I own 2 9mm carbines. One is a Bobcat Weapons MP5 knockoff SBR. It runs flawlessly. Before Newtown it was worth about $1500. Its still worth about $1500. The other is a KelTec Sub2000. Before Newtown it was worth about $300. I threw it up on GB a few days ago, hoping I'd get a bit more for it. It got bid up to $850!!!
A fine demonstration of just how destructive non-linear price changes introduced by legislative or regulatory action can be to market price information.

Uncertainty of policy is an economy killer. Thanks Obama for providing proof of this that will be studied for decades to come...

The downside to the gun industry that will make the near term upside look silly in comparison is when this is resolved, one way or another, it will be very bad for the gun industry. Either demand will drop for a long time to come because of excess buying during the panic, or the panic will be justified and there won't be legal supply.

I like the idea of trading, dcmdon. I pays to have been prepared and use your supplies! I might do the same. Move some of my hot items for something that has not gone out of control. BUT I LIKE ALL MY STUFF! [smile]

The sad part about it is most of that ammo is gonna sit in said moron's closet and collect dust, and it'll never get used.

-Mike

Ok, I'm going to plead guilty. I've been collecting ammo over the past few months, and I have 2 reasons for it:
  1. "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."
  2. It gives me a feeling of comfort in case there's a disruption in supply at some point, etc.

Hell, I've got containers of dehydrated food gathering dust, cans of gasoline gathering dust, I've even got a spare tire in my trunk that's covered with dust. [smile]

Ok, I'm going to plead guilty. I've been collecting ammo over the past few months, and I have 2 reasons for it:
  1. "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."
  2. It gives me a feeling of comfort in case there's a disruption in supply at some point, etc.

Hell, I've got containers of dehydrated food gathering dust, cans of gasoline gathering dust, I've even got a spare tire in my trunk that's covered with dust. [smile]

you are not alone....except I rotate my gas stores by using it every 6 months and getting new....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom