The girlfriend is concerned... Quick access safe?

She's apparently very uncomfortable with me having a pistol that I have easy/quick access to. While home, I have a pistol out of my safe and that is her concern. She doesnt like the fact that I have a firearm "not in the safe". She's worried that she'll get shot... I have no idea where this came from.

She's not anti, I've taken her to the range and she enjoys shooting my 22's. She asked me "What are you expecting to happen?" my reply, "I'm not expecting anything. In fact, I hope that nothing happens, but what if something does?"

I haven't obtained any kind of quick access safe and I think I should go that route. I've been interested in getting one anyways but I'm just not sure what woudl be the best option for me. I see the gunvault is relativly inexpensive and I have a perfect place to bolt down a small safe like that. What it does seems to be exactly what I want, but I dont know what else is out there that would be respectable quality and in my price range. I'd prefer to not spend more that $200, but I'm willing to consider options outside of that range.

Are there any other options that you would reccomend? I'm looking for something that a single pistol can fit in and can be accessed quickly without a key.

If your gf is worried she'll get shot because one of your pistols is "out of the safe", you really need examine your safe handling habits! What about just keeping the gun on you while you're farting around the house?

Carry the gun in your pocket. It's better than having it in a safe anyway!

In the morning, I get up, and as soon as my pants are on, the pistol goes in the front pocket.

I don't have to worry about anyone finding it, stealing it or having an accident. It's under my control. You don't even have to tell your girl you have it. If you conceal it well with a good pocket holster, no one will ever know.

As far as a compact lockable container I use a V-Line deskmate for my pistols. I like it because there are no batteries or power, and has a mechanical combination lock that can be easily undone even in the dark.
Of course it only acts as a locked storage container when I am not home, and do not keep my pistol locked if I am home.

I had a girlfriend that didn't like me having unlocked pistols sitting around when home also. I can see her point. Knowing she is not comfortable using the firearm if need be, I keep it on my person holstered when at home. Your girlfriend should have no reason to fear being shot by you, unless she doesn't trust you and thinks your incompetent and or crazy. If that is the case, you should be on the prowl for a new lady.

Don't wast your money on biometrics, i've got the mini gunvault and alot of times it doesn't open on the first attempt. the ones with the combination open just as fast if not faster.

I've heard only good things about the V-Line's, no electronics to worry about, they open fast and reliably

My $0.02

I don't see this as being one issue. If you are home, why have it locked up at all? With MA laws I can see an issue with having it out while you sleep perhaps. If this is more of an issue with her being paranoid about an inanimate object then you're in trouble.

you [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] SHOULD carry it on your person while at home..

I fixed it for you! [smile]

Seriously, we don't spend all our time in a single room. If we need it, it's too late (in most cases) to run to another room to get it. Also in MA "under your direct control" is usually viewed by LE as on you or within arm's reach AT ALL TIMES! You don't need the cost or conviction for improper storage to deal with.

When you are away/asleep a fast access safe is a good solution. But it's not a good solution when you are around the house.

Having owned a couple of gunvaults I really can not recommend them as reliable. The old model had the cable snap issue and the newer one the rubber finger pad has shifted resulting in occasional multiple attempts to open it. I keep ammo, spare magazines, pocket knives etc. in them now, nothing I would bet my life on.

You're door is kicked open by an armed intruder who is standing about 10 yards away from you. That quick access safe isn't going to do you much good.

Be a man and don't compromise either of your safety. Step up and do what is right.

Are we talking revolver or semi auto? If it's a revolver you could get a cylinder lock, combination preferably. Those come off faster than getting it out of the safe. The semi auto equivalent are a bit more cumbersome but still doable. You can carry also but I'm not a big fan of the pocket method. It works for some people and/or with some smaller guns so this will depend on you and what firearm you have. Best bet would be keep it in a holster where every you would normally carry outside.

This is why a firearm is useless if locked in a safe (this happened yesterday)...

http://www.kvue.com/news/state/Poli...ty-home-fatally-shoots-resident-86348557.html

Investigators said the victim, 30-year-old Herman Roberts, and his girlfriend were sitting on the couch when the gunman entered the residence through an unlocked window and opened fire.

Roberts was shot at least once. The girlfriend was not hit.

Police said the Roberts got up and tried to get his own gun after he was shot, but he collapsed and died of his injuries.

At home while awake, on-person (in a holster) is the safest place for the gun. While asleep, you can use a quick access safe (DAC Sportsafe is my choice) for storage compliance.

I recently moved in with my fiancé, she tells me "I want a loaded gun in every room." I guess I'm lucky. Or maybe not if I piss her off, lol.

I wouldn't cave to her demands to have it locked up. Your house, your gun, your rules. If it causes problems, maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Have you thought of having her read this thread?

Last edited:
I recently moved in with my fiancé, she tells me "I want a loaded gun in every room." I guess I'm a lucky one.

I wouldn't cave to her demands to have it locked up. Your house, your gun, your rules. If it causes promlems, maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Have thought of having her read this thread?

Yes, I have thought about having her read this. Some good ideas guys, thanks for the advice and suggestions!

It hasn't caused any issues yet. It was a very brief discussion and it hasn't ventured beyond that yet. It was just last night so not really all that indepth about it. Perhaps showing her that article posted by Kevlar would help her understand why I want immediate access to a pistol.

edit:

As far as the new girlfreind/not trusting me thing... I dont think that it's because she doesnt trust me. If she didn't, I think she'd be afraid I had guns in the first place. I'll talk to her a bit more about it and see what the real problem is.

Last edited:
Yes, I have thought about having her read this. Some good ideas guys, thanks for the advice and suggestions!

It hasn't caused any issues yet. It was a very brief discussion and it hasn't ventured beyond that yet. It was just last night so not really all that indepth about it. Perhaps showing her that article posted by Kevlar would help her understand why I want immediate access to a pistol.

edit:

As far as the new girlfreind/not trusting me thing... I dont think that it's because she doesnt trust me. If she didn't, I think she'd be afraid I had guns in the first place. I'll talk to her a bit more about it and see what the real problem is.

Smart. Talking is always a good idea. Find out why she thinks she might get shot and go from there.

Pants=Man

Skirt=Woman (usually)

hahaha, funny. I'm not lettign her make this decision for me. F that... I've already made it very clear that I will not be pushed around regarding other issues. Some things are able to be compromised on, others not so much...

edit:
and again with the trust thing. I would assume that if she didn't trust me, she'd have a problem with the fact that I have guns to begin with and would not have moved in.

Sadly the GF's feelings are just manifestations of the two superstitions that continue to persist about guns:

1) that any gun just left lying around is sooner or later just gong to 'go off'.
2) that guns posses powerful psychotropic properties that will inevitably cause their owners to 'snap' and commit violent acts that they'd otherwise be incapable of committing.

A lot of people who are not rationally anti-gun share these fears. Sort of like being afraid of looking under the bed at night and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom