Safe Humidity Issue

VTski4x4

NES Member
Alright NES braintrust, I need some ideas on controlling the humidity in my safe. It's in the basement bolted down, and I have no other location to move it to - so that's not an option. Also, the room that it's in doesn't have an easy way to plug in a goldenrod so that's also sorta out. Safe is a Winchester 36 from TS and there's about an inch between it and the cement basement wall (below grade). During the winter I had no issue with keeping the humidity between 30-40%, but since the weather has changed, it's now hitting mid-high 60% and that's not frigging good. I'm a bit lost here - I have 3 large Damp-rid units in it, one bucket style, and two others rechargeable plug ins. They are all fresh, and the plug in models have only been recharged twice - beads indicate no moisture in them. Any ideas? I can't imagine how the humidity is rising so much when I add more and more large dessicant bins. Today when I checked it was up to 68% and I'm starting to panic.

maybe look into a GOOD adhesive doorsealing gasket on a roll.

No cheap ass foam crap.

It will at least limit the amount of humidity entering the safe so *maybe* the
buckets will work.

some ideas:

I run a Frigidaire dehumidifier set at 35% 24-7. It empties into a condensate pump an goes into the washing machine trap so i dont have to keep emptying buckets. In the winter i run a couple electric heaters on timers and keep it at 68-70 deg. Shut em off right around now. Also have a couple eva-dry dehumidifiers, one in gunsafe, and one in powder cabinet. Never had a problem yet.....

I have a golden rod, but have two issues. First, safe was supposed to be pre-drilled for power cord - it's not, and there isn't enough room behind it to run the wire without unbolting it and getting 3 friends to help me move it. Second, the room that it's in has on/off power that only works of a light switch that runs all the basement lights (stupid, annoying) so a full-time on golden rod won't work at this point without electrical work to the tune of $5000 (panel would have to be updated for code). My full basement dehumidifier arrives today, so we will see if that helps.

I have a golden rod, but have two issues. First, safe was supposed to be pre-drilled for power cord - it's not, and there isn't enough room behind it to run the wire without unbolting it and getting 3 friends to help me move it. Second, the room that it's in has on/off power that only works of a light switch that runs all the basement lights (stupid, annoying) so a full-time on golden rod won't work at this point without electrical work to the tune of $5000 (panel would have to be updated for code). My full basement dehumidifier arrives today, so we will see if that helps.
Lol paying the state to work on your own house.

NES has plenty of sparkies, I hear about them all the time.

Lol paying the state to work on your own house.

NES has plenty of sparkies, I hear about them all the time.
I have an NES electrician, but the town has ridiculous BS. As soon as they pull the meter someone shows up to investigate. Can't follow new code because I'm not building a new laundry room (panel has to be 4ft away from washer and dryer and is currently above them with no room to move).

I have an NES electrician, but the town has ridiculous BS. As soon as they pull the meter someone shows up to investigate. Can't follow new code because I'm not building a new laundry room (panel has to be 4ft away from washer and dryer and is currently above them with no room to move).
Sounds like a public utility? Yikes.
I wish you the best.

This is how my basement was, I did some rewiring myself to make to work until we ended up updating the panel. How is the dehumidifier going to stay running if it’s on off power?

Back
Top Bottom