The girlfriend is concerned... Quick access safe?

UPDATE:

So, she's ok with it. Even she wasn't really sure why she said that. I think she was just having a bad day and it just came out. Anyways, I still plan to get a small pistol safe for quick access.

PS: I dont have an unrestricted license...

carry while at home.

the reason that I carry at home is simple. IF, God forbid, i NEED the use of my gun while at home to defend myself/my family... running to the safe, no matter how 'quick access' it may be, just doenst seem like it would be fast enough.

say you are on the couch... safe in the bed room, up stairs. someone kicks in your front door, will you have time to get by them to get to the safe?

how about if you are in the back yard and someone comes through your gate weilding a knife at you, will you be able to get by and get to your gun?

Just seems easier to carry on you.

UPDATE:

So, she's ok with it. Even she wasn't really sure why she said that. I think she was just having a bad day and it just came out. Anyways, I still plan to get a small pistol safe for quick access.

Glad it worked out for you!

And, to clarify (why not dig my hole a little deeper, he asked?) I'm not against carry out and about in the world. I WANT to carry outside, when I'm in the city, or wherever. I wish I could! It just seems odd to me to have a pistol on my hip when I'm in my home, that's all. And, I can tell that seems odd to all of YOU.

Last edited:
GSG - I'll check those threads out. Thanks for pointing me to them. And I don't think bad things don't happen to good people. I just believe I have better odds of being eaten by a shark while being struck by lighting at the same time than having someone kick in my door. Naieve, maybe. But until it happens, it hasn't happened, you know?

Have you heard of The Dartmouth Murders?

Andrew Patti, a resident of Vershire, Vermont (a town a few miles east of Chelsea), says that Tulloch and Parker attempted to murder him and his family in the summer of 2000. Patti's tale appeared in the 2003 book Judgment Ridge: the True Story Behind the Dartmouth Murders— and in 2004 Patti shared his story in more detail with Massad Ayoob of American Handgunner magazine.

Patti states that on July 17, 2000, Tulloch and Parker went to Patti's remote house, armed with hunting knives, intending to murder the inhabitants and to steal their belongings. Near the house, they dug makeshift graves for their intended victims. Then late at night, Tulloch knocked on the door while Parker waited off to the side in the bushes intending to ambush the homeowner when he opened it.

Inside, the 47-year-old Patti, at home with his 11-year-old son, was alerted to the teens' presence by the sounds of his dog barking. Suspicious of the knock on his door at such a late hour, he answered the knock by going to the door and pulling back the window blinds without opening it. Behind his back, he held a Glock pistol in his hand.

Claiming to be a stranded motorist, Tulloch asked to enter the house, but Patti refused. After receiving several more requests for entry, Patti became concerned enough to hold up his Glock where Tulloch could see it. Then Patti closed the blinds on the door and went back to call the police. When he got to the phone, he discovered that the line was dead. But when he returned to the door, Tulloch and Parker had left the house. They would not return.

Tulloch and Parker would not attempt to strike again for another six months. During that time, they upgraded their weaponry, purchasing high-quality SOG SEAL 2000 combat knives over the Internet.

My only point is that bad people prey on good people routinely, whether or not we're aware of it. And most crimes don't even make the mainstream newsmedia.

And who's Mr. Rosenthal?

John Rosenthal. He's an anti-gun guy who paid for that anti-gun billboard in Boston, among other things. He claims to be a gun owning FID holder who keeps his guns locked up. Google brings up a lot of info on him.

And, to clarify (why not dig my hole a little deeper, he asked?) I'm not against carry out and about in the world. I WANT to carry outside, when I'm in the city, or wherever. I wish I could! It just seems odd to me to have a pistol on my hip when I'm in my home, that's all. And, I can tell that seems odd to all of YOU.

What danger do you see outside your home that you don't see ever trying to get inside your home?

Glad it worked out for you!

See2, I felt like that for a long time. Then one 4th of Julywhile having a BBQ on my deck, my next door neighbor ran into my yard yelling for help for her husband. He had yelled at a kid driving down the street too fast, and had almost hit his 3 year old daughter.

Awhile later (and after many drinks) this kid and 20 or so of his friends come down the street and pull my neighbor out his front door and start beating him on his front lawn.

I called the Police and told them what was happening. It took them one hour and 28 minutes to get here!!!!!!!!!!!

Myself and my 15 year old son and three of his friends ran next door and tried (Successfully) to break up the gang. Three of us ended up in fistfights, and my son tells me the guy I was choking on the ground was blue before he pulled my thumb out of his adams apple.

Now, no guns were involved, but there was a knife. That's the guy I choked.

Since that day years ago this group of punks in my neighborhood have mostly moved on. I got threats from them all the time including one who told me.... "If I want to get you, I'll just pay a biker a few bucks to come and rape your wife." Another bunch of them climbed the roof of my neighbors house and started chopping holes through the roof with an ax. A few more of them would regularly invade my 86 year old neighbors house and take his social security money from him.

OK, so far no guns involved. Only person really hurt was the clown I choked. Even my neighbor got by with only a few bruises.

But we were lucky that day and several times after. I confronted some of these jerks over and over again until they all grew up and moved away or went to prison.

It could have easily turned into something more serious. That's why there's a Kahr 9mm in my pocket right now. It's why my wife got her permit to carry. It's why my neighbor moved out of the neighborhood. It's why a little inconvienience putting a pistol in my pocket every day doesn't bother me.

I hope you never have to see the day that convinces YOU to carry at home. I really hope you stay lucky.

Have you heard of The Dartmouth Murders?

My only point is that bad people prey on good people routinely, whether or not we're aware of it. And most crimes don't even make the mainstream newsmedia.

John Rosenthal. He's an anti-gun guy who paid for that anti-gun billboard in Boston, among other things. He claims to be a gun owning FID holder who keeps his guns locked up. Google brings up a lot of info on him.

What danger do you see outside your home that you don't see ever trying to get inside your home?

OK - that's a good point. But, I would do the same thing, if I had a knock on the door late at night. I think part of my issue (or lack of concern, I guess), is I live on the 2nd floor of a condo complex. Key to get into the building, steel door in a steel frame with a deadbolt to get into my apartment. Nobody's kicking it in, and they have some climbing to do if they want to get in the window. I feel safe, and secure there, unlike when I'm in the city, and the variables get astronomical. Now, perhaps when I buy a house, my take on this will change. In fact, I'm sure it will, once the "new house noises" start in at night. LOL

Depicts - scary stuff, sir. But - and bear with me here. I'm not trying to be confrontational, or an ass, OK? Let's say you had your Kahr on your hip, that day the fight went down (or the day the s**theads attacked the neighbor's roof with an axe). Does it really help you in those situations? If you draw it, you're screwed, because it's not a deadly force situation.

JustEric - being prepared for disaster is fine. Let me ask you - those fire extinguishers: do you carry them in your pocket, in case there's a fire? no - they're probably in the kitchen. What happens if there's a fire in the bedroom? You have to run and get the fire extinguisher. Same with a pistol. I don't see the need to keep it on me. You, and a LOT of other people here, do - and that's cool. I respect your opinion on it. I just don't share it.
No. Fire extinguishers aren't designed to be carried. I don't have one in the bedroom, but I do have them all over the house. One place I don't have them? Locked in a safe. And fire isn't even intent on harming me and doesn't have the ability to hunt me down, unlike an unwelcome visitor at 3 in the morning.

UPDATE:

I have to say, after reading through 10 pages of this thread, this is somewhat disappointing. [hmmm]

[laugh][wink]

I'm kidding, I'm glad things worked out for the both of you. [grin]

Depicts - scary stuff, sir. But - and bear with me here. I'm not trying to be confrontational, or an ass, OK? Let's say you had your Kahr on your hip, that day the fight went down (or the day the s**theads attacked the neighbor's roof with an axe). Does it really help you in those situations? If you draw it, you're screwed, because it's not a deadly force situation.

See2, I was trying to give you an example of how a situation COULD develop into something more than a fistfight. You're right, I didn't need or use a gun in the situation I spoke of. Had I needed one I'd have been screwed.... which was my point.

I can tell you there have been other things.... other days...... you never know. Sounds like your Condo is pretty safe. Ever have someone come to deliver a pizza and pull a pistol on you? How about you walk out to get your newspaper or mail in the morning?

I know you aren't looking for confrontation here on the forum, just trying to let you see another side of it.

Good luck to you.

depicts,

There's also the point that if your neighbor had been carrying in his house, it's very unlikely he would have been dragged out to his lawn and beaten.

The whole incident and everything that followed, likely would have been different.

depicts,

There's also the point that if your neighbor had been carrying in his house, it's very unlikely he would have been dragged out to his lawn and beaten.

The whole incident and everything that followed, likely would have been different.

Good point Titan. Though no one wants to use a gun when they can solve the issue in a less violent way. I'm sure my neighbor, Bill, just wished it never happened. The point, as I'm sure you know, is you never know and it's not paranoid to be prepared.

Maybe I'll start carrying a fire extinguisher with me!!! (LOL Joke)

See2, I was trying to give you an example of how a situation COULD develop into something more than a fistfight. You're right, I didn't need or use a gun in the situation I spoke of. Had I needed one I'd have been screwed.... which was my point.

I can tell you there have been other things.... other days...... you never know. Sounds like your Condo is pretty safe. Ever have someone come to deliver a pizza and pull a pistol on you? How about you walk out to get your newspaper or mail in the morning?

I know you aren't looking for confrontation here on the forum, just trying to let you see another side of it.

Good luck to you.

And I appreciate that. Has either of those things ever happened to me? No - thank God. Had they, my views on things might be different. And yeah, the condo does feel pretty safe. Like I said, though, I'll bet things'll be different once I get into a house, with multiple floors and points of entry.

Maybe I'll start carrying a fire extinguisher with me!!! (LOL Joke)

They do make nice improvised blunt weapons... [smile]

I think part of my issue (or lack of concern, I guess), is I live on the 2nd floor of a condo complex. Key to get into the building, steel door in a steel frame with a deadbolt to get into my apartment. Nobody's kicking it in, and they have some climbing to do if they want to get in the window.

Someone I know lives in a condo complex in Massachusetts where a crook climbed up the outside of the building to break into a 3rd story unit, and the crook was successful.

Let's say you had your Kahr on your hip, that day the fight went down (or the day the s**theads attacked the neighbor's roof with an axe). Does it really help you in those situations? If you draw it, you're screwed, because it's not a deadly force situation.

I disagree...20 on one could very easily be a lethal force situation. Disparity of force and all that.

See2

To each his own.

However from your posts in this thread I think you may be a tad bit misguided. You think it will never happen to you? You think you're safe and secure?

Do you live in LA LA land?

Really, the only person that will be able to help you is yourself. It's best to be prepared.

See2

To each his own.

However from your posts in this thread I think you may be a tad bit misguided. You think it will never happen to you? You think you're safe and secure?

Do you live in LA LA land?

Really, the only person that will be able to help you is yourself. It's best to be prepared.

I think that, in a state (Commonwealth?) where 6.5+ million people live, I have very good odds of "it" never happeneing to me, yes. Like I said, carrying in the city, or out and about in the world, is one thing. Carrying in my 700 s.f., 4 room apartment is something else all together. Prepared is fine. I like being prepared. I just don't feel like I HAVE to be prepared until I pass my front door, is all.

GSG - I'm not surprised. They try hard enough, and crooks can be successful at anything. My attempt at a point was that I'd probably have a bit of forewarning that something bad was happening if I heard someone climbing up the side of my building, trying to jimmy my window, or trying to sledge my door down.

GSG - I'm not surprised. They try hard enough, and crooks can be successful at anything. My attempt at a point was that I'd probably have a bit of forewarning that something bad was happening if I heard someone climbing up the side of my building, trying to jimmy my window, or trying to sledge my door down.

You'd be stunned how easy it is to kick in a door, including apartment doors with steel frames. I've kicked them in myself, watched others kick them in and seen the aftermath of doors kicked in. Deadbolts don't help much, and if they have the right tools with them or enough mass to their body they're getting in, and they're getting in much faster than you'd think. A locked door will buy you 1-3 seconds in my experience.

I'm not a paranoid soothsayer or anything either, and I don't walk around in fear that bad things will happen to me. Make your choices, do your best to stack the odds in your favor, I won't fault you for however you live in your home. [grin]

My now wife felt the same way. I tried a few qucik access devices and ended up with a gunvalut. My advice is to say away from biometric devices.

PeanutsLucyLightweight.jpg

Back
Top Bottom