• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

test firing a "for sale" gun

greencobra

NES Member
i have a couple of handguns for sale. i met a prospective buyer at my range and he wants to shoot the one he's interested in. i have no problem with this but i told him he's to buy and bring with him factory ammo to shoot and any reloads he shows up with are not permitted anywhere near my gun. he gets pissy, wants me to supply the ammo. no f***ing way, he wants to shoot, he's to pick up the ammo. he shows up with a 250 count box and wants to pound all of them through the gun. i balk...again no f***ing way. it's a semi auto, i think 2 mags worth are enough to see if the thing functions. am i in the wrong for setting these parameters. in all my years active in shooting, i've never asked to shoot a gun i was contemplating buying and no one else has ever asked to shoot a gun i had up for sale. i certainly would never refuse to let someone try before he buys but to park their ass down and settle into a 45 minute range session...no way. what do you all think, am i the bad guy here?

.....he shows up with a 250 count box and wants to pound all of them through the gun.
1b9h0.jpg

Looks like that guys TV show GET A LIFE was not on that day so he need to go play stupid with someone.
Never in my years of buying,or selling a gun were they test fired.Some auctions I have dealt with,even
state three day non firing inspection return.

You definitely aren't the bad guy. He was being pretty pushy. Of all the guns I sold here only one guy asked to meet at the range and he was satisfied with a couple of mags through. I had a couple of others that met me at my club, more so to purchase but I offered the test shooting which they accepted.

i have a couple of handguns for sale. i met a prospective buyer at my range and he wants to shoot the one he's interested in. i have no problem with this but i told him he's to buy and bring with him factory ammo to shoot and any reloads he shows up with are not permitted anywhere near my gun. he gets pissy, wants me to supply the ammo. no f***ing way, he wants to shoot, he's to pick up the ammo. he shows up with a 250 count box and wants to pound all of them through the gun. i balk...again no f***ing way. it's a semi auto, i think 2 mags worth are enough to see if the thing functions. am i in the wrong for setting these parameters. in all my years active in shooting, i've never asked to shoot a gun i was contemplating buying and no one else has ever asked to shoot a gun i had up for sale. i certainly would never refuse to let someone try before he buys but to park their ass down and settle into a 45 minute range session...no way. what do you all think, am i the bad guy here?

If it's a commodity gun under a grand and you know it works properly there's no real need for this kind of test stuff. I have no problem with people that request it but it has to be
reasonable. If someone says "hay I wanna test ur glock that you're selling" "oh you mean the one that I tested by putting like 1000 rounds through after new that I know works 110%? how about no" [rofl] theres kind of a line.

If it's not something "special" , milsurpy, or something off the beaten path I'm not even going to entertain that, unless the buyer is a friend or something.

ETA: the moment that request came from him that'd be the end of the transaction even if he backed away from it. I refuse to deal with people like that. The gun shop doesnt let you
test a gun, the fact that im entertaining that at all is 200% above.

I've bought and sold countless used guns. I've never test fired, or have been asked to test fire any gun, ever.
But, if you're feeling generous and trusting, I guess I'd let him fire 1 mag of factory ammo.
But, he already sounds too high maintenance for me. I'd probably move on to another buyer.

I would never go to a range with a buyer who is not a close friend.
Don’t see why you agreed.

No effing way.

I've never asked or been asked to test fire a gun.

The only time I let someone "test" was someone that I kind of knew, and he showed up with someone I know pretty well. So we hit the indoor range, but that was after he paid me for it.

After he buys it he can shoot whatever he wants out of it. But even with that, him going into a deal like that I’d just tell him to get f***ed. Deal’s off the table. No apologies needed. He’s already shown what a headache he’s going to be and that’s best case scenario.

You did nothing wrong at all @greencobra

You guys are pretty generous even allowing 2 mags. I wouldn't allow any rounds. If you want to shoot it, buy it. Otherwise get lost. Plenty of other buyers out there. I've never asked to shoot a gun I bought, nor did I allow anyone to shoot one I sold. The guy sounds like the type that would back out anyways.

Back
Top Bottom